DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Video from Heli-Demo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/82281-video-heli-demo.html)

Derek Weiss December 21st, 2006 06:25 PM

Video from Heli-Demo

Some ground footage to demonstrate the use of RC Helis in video production. A new realm that I have been giving enormous amounts of energy into as of late. The footage you can get with these heli's is pretty amazing. Gyro stabilized and smooth as can be. Being able to have 3 dimensional camera movement over a greater distance than a boom or crane could accomplish is invaluable.

All footage is from the ground, the aerial footage is proprietary.
http://www.pitonproductions.com/Rand.../DesertAir.wmv

Mick Jenner December 22nd, 2006 02:53 AM

Fantastic looking bit of Kit, out of my league but nevertheless very useful.

Regards

Mick

Brendan Marnell December 22nd, 2006 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Weiss
.... The footage you can get with these heli's is pretty amazing. Gyro stabilized and smooth as can be. Being able to have 3 dimensional camera movement over a greater distance than a boom or crane could accomplish is invaluable. ...

... and not just "over a greater distance", Derek, but perhaps from sites that are difficult to access with gear ?? Does it facilitate viewfinder monitoring from a screen on the ground ? And focussing ? Is it so noisy that the motor would scare wildlife ? Can the heli-engine be re-started by remote control ? From what maximum distance can the heli and your cam be remote controlled ? Are there examples of footage taken with such equipment to be seen on other sites you know of? Could be very interesting ... detail of gyro stabilized footage I have to see ... if it really is smooth on bird plumage and fairly silent (doubtful) this could be the tripod of my reincarnation .. roll on

Tony Davies-Patrick December 22nd, 2006 06:07 AM

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...LYER-SAVS.html

Kevin Myhre December 22nd, 2006 06:25 AM

Looks very nice. Out of my price range but than again I think I'd be afraid of crashing it. How well does it handle?

Jimmy McKenzie December 22nd, 2006 06:58 AM

Nice!

Quite a rig.

Why not post a watermarked clip of the deliverable!!! Let see that p.o.v.!

Derek Weiss December 22nd, 2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
... and not just "over a greater distance", Derek, but perhaps from sites that are difficult to access with gear ?? Does it facilitate viewfinder monitoring from a screen on the ground ? And focussing ? Is it so noisy that the motor would scare wildlife ? Can the heli-engine be re-started by remote control ? From what maximum distance can the heli and your cam be remote controlled ? Are there examples of footage taken with such equipment to be seen on other sites you know of? Could be very interesting ... detail of gyro stabilized footage I have to see ... if it really is smooth on bird plumage and fairly silent (doubtful) this could be the tripod of my reincarnation .. roll on

Monitor: It has a 2.4ghz video downlink to 7" screen. Pilot controls the heli, and the camera is worked by another person. Coordination together is very important.

Focusing: Auto only. No control over focus while flying. Always fly with lens at widest to get the best picture and minimize shaking, etc.

Noise: 26cc two stroke motor. Sounds like a weed whip. Electrip ships work too, but have very short flight times. Making them a hassle to use.

Distance: We have a GPS unit that can fly autonomously for miles and miles.
Stopping whenever you want it to, flying at whatever elevation you want, etc.

The footage is very smooth. But you have to have the heli tuned right, have a pilot that can fly smooth, and a pilot that has some concept of what the goal of the shot is.

Another good site is www.flying-cam.com The person that is teaching me used to fly for them.

A good example of the footage is on Youtube at the following.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBPd...elated&search=

Tony Davies-Patrick December 22nd, 2006 09:44 AM

Thanks for the useful Youtube link, Derek.

I just wish that I had £15,000 to spare...there would be so many options to obtain superb footage with my cam mounted on that micro-chopper!

I've seen some wonderful work by the BBC using pulleys and cables between trees in the high jungle canopy...but a remote controlled video camera + IS gyro system lens mounted on a remote controlled min-helicopter offers so much more flexibility.

Derek Weiss December 22nd, 2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick

I just wish that I had £15,000 to spare...there would be so many options to obtain superb footage with my cam mounted on that micro-chopper!

I've seen some wonderful work by the BBC using pulleys and cables between trees in the high jungle canopy...but a remote controlled video camera + IS gyro system lens mounted on a remote controlled min-helicopter offers so much more flexibility.

The price I have invested is less than that. But the time investment is the meat of it. Taking the time to learn to fly, learning to set the heli up right to get usable footage, etc, etc. It's a slow learning curve, and one I couldn't have managed without the help I have here.

Yes, this heli beats the cable cam because you don't have a set up time. But there are some shots that a cable cam can get that a heli can't. We need enough clearance for the 5+ft main rotor diameter.

This is just a tool in the quiver. Not the go to tool every time, but when you need it, it can't be beat.

Trevor Troup December 27th, 2006 11:04 PM

video from heli

Just wondering if you put the heli together yourself or if this was something that you purchased and where. I do extreme sports videos and this would be a great tool for skiing footage as a real heli is super expensive. This would be a great alternative especially skiing in what they call a terrain park. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Derek Weiss December 28th, 2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Troup
Just wondering if you put the heli together yourself or if this was something that you purchased and where. I do extreme sports videos and this would be a great tool for skiing footage as a real heli is super expensive. This would be a great alternative especially skiing in what they call a terrain park. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Trevor,

I built it, with help. It takes several day. The learning curve in this realm is slow, but worth it. You really need someone who has been doing it for a while to teach you, or you will be burning money in crashes while you learn.

I'm in the same market as you. Climbing, skiing, biking, ocean sports, etc.

Trevor Troup December 30th, 2006 01:58 AM

heli demo

hi again--wondering what scale your heli is .90? and from where did you get all your parts, the heli and in particular the gyro? I live in the town where Wescam( you know the helicopter mount with the big white gyro ball) has an office and have talked to some of the guys that work there. They unfortunately are very little help(i think there working on the military side of it)-- thanks again

Derek Weiss February 22nd, 2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Troup
hi again--wondering what scale your heli is .90? and from where did you get all your parts, the heli and in particular the gyro? I live in the town where Wescam( you know the helicopter mount with the big white gyro ball) has an office and have talked to some of the guys that work there. They unfortunately are very little help(i think there working on the military side of it)-- thanks again

Bergen Observer, it's a .90