Video from Heli-Demo at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Video from Heli-Demo

Some ground footage to demonstrate the use of RC Helis in video production. A new realm that I have been giving enormous amounts of energy into as of late. The footage you can get with these heli's is pretty amazing. Gyro stabilized and smooth as can be. Being able to have 3 dimensional camera movement over a greater distance than a boom or crane could accomplish is invaluable.

All footage is from the ground, the aerial footage is proprietary.
http://www.pitonproductions.com/Rand.../DesertAir.wmv
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:53 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: West Sussex England
Posts: 695
Fantastic looking bit of Kit, out of my league but nevertheless very useful.

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:14 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weiss
.... The footage you can get with these heli's is pretty amazing. Gyro stabilized and smooth as can be. Being able to have 3 dimensional camera movement over a greater distance than a boom or crane could accomplish is invaluable. ...
... and not just "over a greater distance", Derek, but perhaps from sites that are difficult to access with gear ?? Does it facilitate viewfinder monitoring from a screen on the ground ? And focussing ? Is it so noisy that the motor would scare wildlife ? Can the heli-engine be re-started by remote control ? From what maximum distance can the heli and your cam be remote controlled ? Are there examples of footage taken with such equipment to be seen on other sites you know of? Could be very interesting ... detail of gyro stabilized footage I have to see ... if it really is smooth on bird plumage and fairly silent (doubtful) this could be the tripod of my reincarnation .. roll on
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:07 AM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 1,589
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...LYER-SAVS.html
__________________
www.WILDCARP.com
www.NIKON.me.uk
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester MN
Posts: 68
Looks very nice. Out of my price range but than again I think I'd be afraid of crashing it. How well does it handle?
Kevin Myhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Posts: 721
Nice!

Quite a rig.

Why not post a watermarked clip of the deliverable!!! Let see that p.o.v.!
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
... and not just "over a greater distance", Derek, but perhaps from sites that are difficult to access with gear ?? Does it facilitate viewfinder monitoring from a screen on the ground ? And focussing ? Is it so noisy that the motor would scare wildlife ? Can the heli-engine be re-started by remote control ? From what maximum distance can the heli and your cam be remote controlled ? Are there examples of footage taken with such equipment to be seen on other sites you know of? Could be very interesting ... detail of gyro stabilized footage I have to see ... if it really is smooth on bird plumage and fairly silent (doubtful) this could be the tripod of my reincarnation .. roll on

Monitor: It has a 2.4ghz video downlink to 7" screen. Pilot controls the heli, and the camera is worked by another person. Coordination together is very important.

Focusing: Auto only. No control over focus while flying. Always fly with lens at widest to get the best picture and minimize shaking, etc.

Noise: 26cc two stroke motor. Sounds like a weed whip. Electrip ships work too, but have very short flight times. Making them a hassle to use.

Distance: We have a GPS unit that can fly autonomously for miles and miles.
Stopping whenever you want it to, flying at whatever elevation you want, etc.

The footage is very smooth. But you have to have the heli tuned right, have a pilot that can fly smooth, and a pilot that has some concept of what the goal of the shot is.

Another good site is www.flying-cam.com The person that is teaching me used to fly for them.

A good example of the footage is on Youtube at the following.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBPd...elated&search=
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:44 AM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 1,589
Thanks for the useful Youtube link, Derek.

I just wish that I had £15,000 to spare...there would be so many options to obtain superb footage with my cam mounted on that micro-chopper!

I've seen some wonderful work by the BBC using pulleys and cables between trees in the high jungle canopy...but a remote controlled video camera + IS gyro system lens mounted on a remote controlled min-helicopter offers so much more flexibility.
__________________
www.WILDCARP.com
www.NIKON.me.uk
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick

I just wish that I had 15,000 to spare...there would be so many options to obtain superb footage with my cam mounted on that micro-chopper!

I've seen some wonderful work by the BBC using pulleys and cables between trees in the high jungle canopy...but a remote controlled video camera + IS gyro system lens mounted on a remote controlled min-helicopter offers so much more flexibility.

The price I have invested is less than that. But the time investment is the meat of it. Taking the time to learn to fly, learning to set the heli up right to get usable footage, etc, etc. It's a slow learning curve, and one I couldn't have managed without the help I have here.

Yes, this heli beats the cable cam because you don't have a set up time. But there are some shots that a cable cam can get that a heli can't. We need enough clearance for the 5+ft main rotor diameter.

This is just a tool in the quiver. Not the go to tool every time, but when you need it, it can't be beat.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 32
video from heli

Just wondering if you put the heli together yourself or if this was something that you purchased and where. I do extreme sports videos and this would be a great tool for skiing footage as a real heli is super expensive. This would be a great alternative especially skiing in what they call a terrain park. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Trevor Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Troup
Just wondering if you put the heli together yourself or if this was something that you purchased and where. I do extreme sports videos and this would be a great tool for skiing footage as a real heli is super expensive. This would be a great alternative especially skiing in what they call a terrain park. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Trevor,

I built it, with help. It takes several day. The learning curve in this realm is slow, but worth it. You really need someone who has been doing it for a while to teach you, or you will be burning money in crashes while you learn.

I'm in the same market as you. Climbing, skiing, biking, ocean sports, etc.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 32
heli demo

hi again--wondering what scale your heli is .90? and from where did you get all your parts, the heli and in particular the gyro? I live in the town where Wescam( you know the helicopter mount with the big white gyro ball) has an office and have talked to some of the guys that work there. They unfortunately are very little help(i think there working on the military side of it)-- thanks again
Trevor Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:22 PM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Troup
hi again--wondering what scale your heli is .90? and from where did you get all your parts, the heli and in particular the gyro? I live in the town where Wescam( you know the helicopter mount with the big white gyro ball) has an office and have talked to some of the guys that work there. They unfortunately are very little help(i think there working on the military side of it)-- thanks again
Bergen Observer, it's a .90
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network