Fan not starting after drive swap. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Fan not starting after drive swap.

Have users who posted their success in changing to a bigger drive in their FS-4/HD100 Firestores checked to see it the fan still operates?

A few have posted that the biggest drive you can add to an FS-4 is 120GB, so I upgraded my DR-HD100 80GB JVC model to a 120GB.

Works great, but the fan doesn't start. Changed back to the 80GB drive, fan works fine.

Tested this with a second HD100 80GB. Change to 120GB, no fan. Change back to 80GB, fan works.

Maybe it's a problem with the 120GB drive. I have a 160GB drive, try that. Surprise, it formats as two partitions adding up to the full drive space. 10 1/2 hours of DV, 16 1/2 hours of 720p. Wow. Still works great. Still no fan.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Anyone know if the 80GB HD100 fan will run with a 100GB drive?
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

white screen with audio only on my drhd 100

Ive been haveing this problem latley cant seem to find what setting is causing this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I format the DR hd 100 for every job so i cant figue this one out.

shawn

Last edited by Shawn Kessler; October 14th, 2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: mispelled
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear George,

Concerning the fan not running consistently after a drive swap:

I would check the power requirements of your new drive. It may be more than the original drive. If so, the internal power supply may not be enough to run the drive and the fan.

Another idea:

Maybe the new drive runs cooler and the fan is not needed.

If I remember correctly (and I may not), I thought the fan was an "as required" thing.
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Major Player

I believe that the fan only kicks on when the system reaches a certain temperature, to avoid overheating. I have 100GB Hitachi's in ours, a well as a 120 segate, all run fine, fan only comes on when the system gets warm. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are experiencing other problems with the unit (starts "wigging" out or something). Never had a problem with ours.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestions. Here are some additional details that may help someone find the answer.

Shawn -

Do you mean fan test-spin on start? Or fan doesn't start when shooting? Have you checked internal temp when you thought the fan should be on?

To check internal temp, go to UTILITIES/(Up Arrow Once) STATUS/(Right Arrow) TEMP.

Dan -

The drive I have installed now is a .6A 120GB Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 HTS541612J9AT00.
The quick test 160GB is a Western Digital Scorpio which is rated .6A.
The OE 80GB Travelstar drive is 1.0A.

Kit -

The fan should spin for about 1 second and stop when you start the Firestore. The fan should come on automatically about 41 to 43 C.

With the 80GB installed, that is what happens on both Firestore units.

With the 120GB or 160GB, no fan on startup, no auto fan up to 50C. This happens on both Firestore units. I think that rules out a bad internal connection, board or component. 50C didn't take too long at idle on a very warm day (84F ambient). Max safe is 55C, per Focus and Hitachi.

Could you check your 120GB to see if the fan spins on startup? Just find the ON button, turn the unit around and watch the fan blades while you start up. Yeah, it really is too fast to push ON and flip the unit. It doesn't spin long.

If it doesn't spin on startup, try bringing up the TEMP screen and let the unit warm up to the low 40s. If still no fan, you have the same disease as I.

Last edited by George Strother; October 15th, 2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: I gave an amp rating for the 120GB Travelstar that was too high. Oops.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Huh, weird, Mine starts.....
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore