Can You Help Me Build My Firestore System? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 18th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can You Help Me Build My Firestore System?

Hello Everybody --
I'm ready to make the jump to a firestore, but I really want to make sure that I get the right equipment the first time around. First of all, I own 2 Canon XH-A1 cameras, and I edit my video on a Windows Based Premiere Pro CS3 system. I want to purchase one Firestore to make sure that its what I want to go with before I purchase the second.

I know that since I use a Canon Camera, I will need to go with the Firestore FS-C Portable DTE Recorder. (Correct Me If I'm Wrong) Found Here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
I'm not sure which I want to go with because I'm not sure how much of a difference 100gigs vs 60gigs will give me. The extra 40gigs won't do me any good if the battery won't last long enough for me to get to record it.

Here's what I'm worried about -- Battery Life. Typically, I will shoot the corporate videos that I do in about 6-7 hours. (Not recording the whole time, but that's about how long the cameras are on) I want to be able to record for the full amount of space that is on the Firestore. Are there any kind of additional batteries that I can purchase or some kind of system that I can work out so I'm not constantly having to recharge these babies?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
-Jordan
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #2

I've been using 2 firestore FS4HD units for a couple of years with a Canon XL2 and a JVC HD110. I'm not happy with the firestore units. They're pretty flaky, dropouts, made cheaply.

So, I've upgraded to an Nnovia 120Gb unit. Check out its features. A lot more professionally made, a bit more expensive but worth every penny.

www.nnovia.com
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help! Are there any kind of comparisons between the firestore and what you suggest?
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #4
New Boot

Try:

http://www.powerbagjunior.com
Joe Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #5

No comparisons that I'm aware of. The Firestore is, fundamentally, just a hard drive. The nnovia unit is a complete recorder, playback device. It's much more robust. The hard drives are interchangeable, on some models. There's also an option for solid state memory instead of a hard drive. You can record directly onro the nnovia unit from an analog source. It's really a whole lot more reliable and flexible than the firestore. There's a few threads here at dvinfo on the nnovia unit. do a search.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well firestore still the best and easy to copy and paste into NLE system. The SONY DR60 only work on SONY or Vegas. Im not sure how was that be only "SONY". Battery Life get the 180mins with 2 set should last all the way on your Production shot. This is what my friend was doing.
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

What about portability -- is it as portable as the firestore? Any downsides to getting it instead of the firestore?
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore