folder empty after connecting with laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

folder empty after connecting with laptop

It's not that I am really happy with my (second) DR-HD100 but from time to time it's a mess and I don't know why.

I had the following situation several times, especially with a Dell Inspiron 9400. I connect both units, the Dell recognizes the HD. All fine untill I try to import files with Avid Liquid 7. It starts, interrupt showing a message that the files´format is not supported. Trying it again files have disapeared, both in Liquid's import manager and Windows Explorer.

I would be really glad to get a hint for what could be the reason.

Markus
Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Markus
I have not own a DR-HD100, but FS-4HD. Have you set the correct recording format on the unit? Since you are using Avid Liquid 7.

Nonlinear Editing System Compatibility

DR-HD100 are recorded to disk as RawDV, AVI Type 1, AVI Type 2, AVI Type 2 24p, Matrox AVI, Canopus AVI, QuickTime, QuickTime 24p, Avid OMF, Pinnacle AVI or MXF. In HD mode, 720p clips are recorded as M2T (720p24, 25, 30, 50 or 60) files or QuickTime HDV (720p24, 25 or 30).
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For shure I've chosen the right format and the fact is that from time to time it even works on the Laptop and quite frequently on the desktop editing with both Liquid. I know there are some limitations with that software. For example I can't use DR-HD1000 to edit directly from it without copying. Even if it works in the editing on timeline it fails exporting the edited story to another format, i.e. MPEG or WMV.

But it's a mess that files disapear without chance to get them back!
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Bo View Post
Even if it works in the editing on timeline it fails exporting the edited story to another format, i.e. MPEG or WMV.

But it's a mess that files disapear without chance to get them back!
Markus - the first suspects are the firewire cable and the card on your computer and power fluctuations. Make sure permissions are set to everyone. It sounds to me like the DR-HD100 is crashing during transfer. Do you have to disconnect the unit and then reconnect it to get access to the hard drive again?

I would copy the files to your local hard drive first as a safety measure and then import them, though if the firewire connection is being broken you may continue to experience corrupted file systems.

I would also try some FAT32 recovery programs to see if the FAT32 system is still there. Unfortunately FAT32 is not as rendundant with file allocation as NTFS, so power interruptions during a transfer can cause all kinds of damage, but quite often these third party programs can reconstruct it.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore