DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Ouch Now what ??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/114667-ouch-now-what.html)

Kirk Graham February 12th, 2008 04:08 PM

Ouch Now what ???

I know this has had to happen to someone here,

We where setting up to film a segment of our tv show and I thought the firestore cradle was attached and tight

well i thought wrong I pan down and you guessed it off she goes on to the cement floor!

It was off and i push power on and now all it does is power on and the fan runs no display and you have to take out the battery to turn off

I called Foucus enhancements today and to my shock it would cost a min of 250 dollars just to crack it open??? Its a fs 4 40 gig with miles on it , so it isnt even worth it to fix

anyone else have this happen and they fixed it themselves?

any other suggestions except scrapping it!

thanks

Edward Carlson February 12th, 2008 06:25 PM

If you have a hard drive laying around, you could try swapping it out, or check the current one. I have an IDE to USB adapter that converts 3.5" and 2.5" IDE drives to USB, you could check it with one of those (cheaper than a new drive if you don't need one.)

Kalulu Ngilo February 12th, 2008 10:47 PM

i would open it, see whether anything is broke. Say the screen, or the HDD is killed. I like opening electronics but that does not mean you do. Next time if you get it fixed, I would strap that baby down like it was going on a hike or camping.

I would also swap the hdd like Edward suggested.

Kirk Graham February 13th, 2008 07:58 AM

open up!

I am going to open it up and take a look! what harm can it do its already broken

I will follow the nicely detailed instructions on the HDD swap that would be nice if the HDD is just bad i can them up grade it then

Thanks for the tips!

Kirk Graham February 13th, 2008 02:12 PM

it works again, I took it apart and unplugged the Hdd and plugged it back in and it started back up ! I ran 5 min of video on it and it worked fine

Kalulu Ngilo February 14th, 2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Graham (Post 825763)
it works again, I took it apart and unplugged the Hdd and plugged it back in and it started back up ! I ran 5 min of video on it and it worked fine

thanks great news! Leave it on until the battery dies just to make sure its all cool.

while in rome, Anyone use a different battery than the one supplied by Focus E. to extend the battery life?

Joe Matyas February 15th, 2008 06:57 AM

try:

Http://powerbagjunior.com

Kalulu Ngilo February 15th, 2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Matyas (Post 826737)

thanks, is there anything cheaper that works like this one?

Bryan Houston February 16th, 2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalulu Ngilo (Post 827123)
thanks, is there anything cheaper that works like this one?

Someone had mentioned one of the Black & Decker power to go packs. It's about the same size as the Firestore and you'll need to plug the AC Adapter into it. If you're running and gunning, I suppose you could improvise a portable power solution using one of those and a fanny pack/hip pouch.