DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS-4 HD weird issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/120697-fs-4-hd-weird-issues.html)

Peter C. Goswick May 1st, 2008 11:19 AM

FS-4 HD weird issues

Hi,

My configuration is:

2 Sony V1U cameras
Sony Vegas 8 Pro
2 FireStore FS-4 HD
Dell Optiplex 740 dual core/ lots of storage and memory with Windows XP Pro SP2

I did a 2-camera shoot recording to both tape and FS-4 in HDV 1080i mode.
I copied the m2t files from the FS-4 to my Dell
Imported the m2t's into Vegas Pro 8.b
Created 2 time lines both with audio and video
I SOLOed one pair of the a/v to find a sync point and played the time line within Vegas.
Did the same for the other a/v pair.

Here is is the weird part - if I start playing a clip I get audio and video...I then jump forward with my mouse and do the same thing and all is well. BUT if after playing a clip I return to the clip I lose the audio (still shows waveforms but can not hear it) This happens even if I try it from a different computer.

I then captured the same video as m2t directly from the TAPE and all works well.

I am so very confused but can't help but think it has something to do with FAT32 files.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Please help if you can.

Thanks,

Pete

Brandon Freeman May 8th, 2008 04:52 PM

Your problem is in the tape sync. I don't know why it causes a problem in HDV, but I've discovered that somehow, when synced, the FireStore records before the camera starts, and when the tape deck gets moving, it messes up the .m2t. The only way to fix it is to use TSSplitter, split the file in two, setting the start of the second clip about 5-7 seconds after the start of the original. Then, delete the original and the first 5-7 second clip -- you will be good to go from there.

How can you avoid this in the future?

When recording to both tape and FireStore, do not sync. Hit the camera record button first, wait for the timecode to roll, and then start the FireStore. Pain in the butt, but it's better than dealing with the nightmare I have before me now with my documentary -- I still come across clips that have this issue and I have to split them. :(

While I'm at it, if you shoot an HDV clip that's longer than 9 minutes, the FireStore will split it. While this isn't an issue for SD modes, the .m2t format doesn't handle it well. In Vegas, if you line the two clips up side by side, there will be a jump. This is completely fixable, however, again with TSSplitter. Select "File -> Open for joining" and select all of the split clips. It takes a moment, but you will then have one smooth .m2t file that flows perfectly.

Peter C. Goswick May 9th, 2008 05:24 AM

Thanks Brandon for your help. I will try the solution you suggest in hopes that it resolves my issue.

if I record HDV ONLY to the FS-4 without any tape in the camera (which I didn't) do you think I would still have the problem OR does this only happen when recording to tape AND to the FS-4?

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Brandon Freeman May 9th, 2008 09:12 AM

When I record with only the FireStore and the Tapeless mode turned on (so that the record button triggers the FireStore to start) with no tape in the camera, it's just fine. That's how I whittled it down to the conclusions I've come to.