DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Sayonara to Focus Enhancements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/133043-sayonara-focus-enhancements.html)

Colin McFadden September 17th, 2008 07:52 AM

So long focus?

So, Focus filed for chapter 11 today. That can't be good ...

FCSE FCSE: Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Paul Leung September 17th, 2008 02:03 PM

Sayonara to Focus Enhancements

Oh no.... my $1000 stock certificates of Focus Enhancement are now wallpaper!!

Focus Enhancements - Focus Enhancements Voluntarily Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection Following Receipt of Delisting Notice from NASDAQ

I hate to break the news to those of you who just bought the Firestore.

Bob Hart September 17th, 2008 05:30 PM

The fat lady may not yet have sung as far as the existing product is concerned. JVC might have some influence in the matter of support for its existing customers.

Giroud Francois September 18th, 2008 06:40 AM

that was obvioulsy the standard dream from all startup.
build a product , wait that some big company buy it (or the license or anything else you can sell), then close the company and go to Hawaii.
wait 6 months, start a new business....

Bob Hart September 18th, 2008 09:11 AM

I'm sorry but I won't let my comment be so interpreted without a rejoinder.

Number One. I don't think the Focus Enhancements R&D team who dreamed the original Firestore up and put in the initial enthusiastic hard yards and subsequent bughunt and troubleshoot to refine it, would agree and would indeed find the "Hawaii" hypothetical a little hurtful.

The JVC ProHD version may be the most "apparently integrated" of their products but JVC is certainly not the only only camera type which feeds data to a Firestore.

Number Two. Bankruptcy protection would have to be a most unusual, even bizarre method of courting a major corporate suitor into a buyout.

I don't think people deliberately set about falling over unless there is a competitor's fifth column at work within Focus Enhancements. I hope they do find a benefactor to enable them to venture into or finesse a next step to memory card systems but given the current financial climate, I guess it it may be unlikely.

Brian Luce September 18th, 2008 09:42 AM

One weird thing is that a day before they filed for chapter 11 they were issuing press releases about new product releases/partnerships with JVC.

Also, I noticed their market cap was $200,000. Maybe us dvinfo'ers can do a group buy and take over the company.

Perrone Ford September 18th, 2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 939012)
Also, I noticed their market cap was $200,000. Maybe us dvinfo'ers can do a group buy and take over the company.

You know, this isn't as bad an idea as it might sound, but honestly, the switch to solid state would have to have been on the table. I have a feeling (and said so some time back) that if Focus had moved to solid state a couple of years ago, they'd be in a far better position today.

In an era where 500GB hard drives are a couple hundred dollars, paying $2k+ for a unit with a 100GB 4200rpm (FS-5) seems out of place.

Tim Polster September 18th, 2008 01:09 PM

Especially with SSDs out now that are becoming reasonable.

Actually, I surprised there are not devices (cameras or recorders) built around 120g swappable SSDs.

Perrone Ford September 18th, 2008 01:16 PM

SSDs are pretty pricey honestly. I looked at getting one in my new laptop. I was thinking more along the lines of compact flash.

A hybrid between the Focus Enhancements and the Convergent Technologies box. Simply replace the recording mechanism on the firestore with CF or SDHC cards and leave everything else as is. No fans, no drive noise, etc. Those who need the enhanced logic or recording capabilities of the Convergent could move to that.

Looking at my firestore the major components seem to be the plastic case, the two firewire connectors, the (sorry to say) rather poor LCD screen, 16 buttons, a hard drive, fan, and the logic board and power. In terms of manufacturing costs, I'd wager the screen, logic board, and drive are the most expensive of these, and frankly the sum of hte three couldn't be more than $800. So maybe $1k in costs, with the rest going to R&D, marketing, licensing, etc. It would be good to see the particulars of the company.

And I am in no way slamming Focus Enhancements here. Their product works as advertised and has done a SUPER job for me for the years I've had it. Frankly, I'm sorry to see them in trouble. I just upgraded my FS4-Pro to FS4-Pro HD for use with my EX1.

Colin McFadden September 18th, 2008 01:53 PM

I've always felt like focus was just trying to do too many things at once. They only had 155 employees, but they were doing the firestore line, plus digital asset management, switching, a->d conversion, codec conversion software, plus a whole semiconductor business. It certainly never felt like the firestore had their full attention. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the remains...

Taylor Rudd September 18th, 2008 05:10 PM

I'm about to buy a Firestore FS-4 Pro HD second hand.

I want to record 1080p24 Quicktime off of my Canon XH-A1, but I need to buy the 2.1 upgrade.

What is the best way to get the upgrade now?

Colin McFadden September 18th, 2008 05:14 PM

There's never been a way to do quicktime 24p off a canon with a Firestore FS4ProHD. You had to buy the FS-C in order to get that capability. Or leave the FS4ProHD in m2t mode and use clipwrap after the fact (disclaimer: I'm friend with the guy who wrote clipwrap).

Taylor Rudd September 18th, 2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McFadden (Post 939190)
There's never been a way to do quicktime 24p off a canon with a Firestore FS4ProHD. You had to buy the FS-C in order to get that capability. Or leave the FS4ProHD in m2t mode and use clipwrap after the fact (disclaimer: I'm friend with the guy who wrote clipwrap).

So I saw after my post after a bit more research.

I've been doing some research about the FS-4, and all versions in general, for the past few weeks. There has been nothing more convoluted than figuring out their models and (extremely) model-specific features.

I'm surprised this company didn't go under sooner. I'm also surprised I'm about to buy their product even though they just went under!

Perrone Ford September 18th, 2008 06:03 PM

If it's any comfort, my unit has worked flawlessly. I bought an original FS-4 Pro way back when. Never a moment's trouble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor Rudd (Post 939206)
I'm surprised this company didn't go under sooner. I'm also surprised I'm about to buy their product even though they just went under!