FS-4HD losing the last frame of audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

FS-4HD losing the last frame of audio

I just sent this off to Focus tech support. I am aware that they recently filed for Chapter 11. I'm wondering if any of you have noticed something similar. I would appreciate any feedback...thanks!
--
I am an FS-4HD user. I use it with my Canon XL2, and up until recently I've been very happy. I record events with it, and I appreciate the value of being able to record longer than on DV tape's worth of video at a time.

But recently I've noticed that the nine minute or so chunks of video that the Firestore records are not lined up perfectly anymore. I use it with Final Cut Pro (the latest version 6.0.4) on the latest Mac OS X (10.5.5). Regardless of what I do, I end up with a short burst of silence at the seam between the clips (actually, it's at the end of the first clip of a two-clip sequence). I've tried joining the files in Quicktime player instead of FCP (as suggested in a forum posting) but that doesn't work, either.

But upon further investigation, it seems the FS-4HD is cutting off the last frame or so of audio from all the clips it saves, even if I just push the "stop" button (as opposed to spanned clips). Is there a setting (drop frames, etc) that causes this to happen? It is causing me to pull my hair out!

See enclosed screen shot from FCP.
Attached Thumbnails
FS-4HD losing the last frame of audio-dropped-audio.jpg  
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Following up after some more testing...

I am unable to reproduce this problem with short clips. So I think this is related to spanning (letting the FS run for more than 9 minutes, causing it to create a new file). I am able to reproduce this 100% with a 10 minute clip (which is broken up into two clips by the FS).
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Major Player

OK, so it looks like I'm narrating my own tragic little story here. ;)

After further tests, I believe the problem lies in the Quicktime 24P functionality (which always seemed to work fine for me). If I change the FS4 to record in Quicktime mode (NOT 24p), then I copy the clips into FCP, use "Remove Advanced Pulldown", then drop them into a 24P timeline, the gap disappears.

Sigh.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just saw your post Steve. I've noticed a similar issue with my JVC branded DR-HD100.
seems like a 1 frame audio drop at the head on the new file

<edit> couple of additional things. I'm using M2T files shooting 60P
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've had the same problem with my Citidisk 120GB HDV model (although I'm still using it to record in SD) and my Firestore FS4-Pro, but only when I'm trying to record in the AVI 2 format. When I set up the Citidisk & Firestore to record in raw DV mode, the dropped audio goes away but the drawback is that raw DV footage takes a lot longer to import into my editing software (Liquid 7).

BTW, Steve, I like the name of your town.
Gary Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I finally have solved this problem. Oy vey.

Read more here:
Firestore FS-4HD Is Fixed (Sort Of…) Steve Maller Photography

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore