Firestore FS3 various questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 15th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #46
New Boot

George, I have asked that same question in this forum and the answers provided by Ken are correct. I have the Anton Bauer mounts and the Slimline AB battery will power the camera and the FS3 for over 4 hours of shooting, I have never totally ran out of battery yet.

One caution however, I shoot outdoors and with the MA100 I found that the unit with the AB Battery is too heavy to carry around in the field (The MA100 broke). I found a quick solution though at the hardware store.

1 Metal Strap 1" wide bent by putting it in the vice to match the entire length of the XL1. The reason I did this was to get a mounting screw through the tripod mount and another one in the back riser of the camera. All I had to do then was mount the AB Plate onto the metal strap with bolts and lock nuts then mount a shoulder rest. There is still a little flex to the whole unit but I have covered over 10 miles on foot turkey hunting carrying the camera and FS3 without any more incidents.

The suggestion was made up front for me to go with the MA200 for more stability and I ignored it so it is my own fault.

The unit has worked perfectly for all the shooting I have done to date.

Good Luck.
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #47
Major Player

Thanks for the information. A matter of economics prevents me from powering the fs-3 with the ab batteries. I currently use Lenmar 941 batteries to power the xl1.

At this time I can afford the purchase of the fs-3 and the ab gold mount bracket but would need to find another source for power. The purchase of both the xl1 and anton bauer batteries is not possible.

Reviewing the instructions I see there is a 4pin power on the fs-3. I do have some Panasonic pv-bp50 batteries that were used with the Panasonic vhs camcorders. These batteries are 12-volt 2000mah. These could provide power without adding much weight to the xl1. I don't know what the battery life/run time would be.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #48
Tourist

Help for a newbie??

We recently got a DR-DV5000 to use with our JVC camera and I've been trying to wring it out. We are also moving to FCP (I've been using a Media100 for over 10 years) so we slowly ascending the learning curve... :-) I have a question concerning drag-and-drop editing from the drive to FCP: so far all the clips I have drug in need to have the audio rendered in order to play back in the timeline. I do not know if my record settings on the FireStore are incorrect, or if there's something in FCP that I have missed. Currently my FireStore is set to record in raw DV. Is there a better setting for use in FinalCut? I see that Mr. Kohl is using this setup, so perhaps he could share the settings with me. Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #49
Focus Enhancements

Hi Marty,

In the FireStore Menu, you need to set the Rec Format on DR-DV5000 to QuickTime. This will create an identical file to that which Final Cut creates during capture. You will not have to extract the audio and the clip can be instantly used in the timeline.

If you ever have questions, the quickest response may be to email or call our tech support department. All the details are at: http://www.focusinfo.com/support/ .

Hope that helps,
Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #50
Contributor

I'll just corroborate Matt's suggestion. You need to use Quicktime.

Cheers,
DK

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #51
Tourist

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a shot when I get back from vacation!

Marty
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #52
Major Player

Fs3 + Jvcgydv5000e

I am plnning to buy JVC GYDV5000E with Anton mount accessory ... I own a FS3 with Anton Mount ... I was using FS3 with Panny Dv200. butnow with JVC How do i incorporate both of them together to record !

Cut short Q.
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:35 AM   #53
Major Player

Knoc Knoc Any body alive...
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #54
Focus Enhancements

Hi Bankim,

Sorry I have been off the air. I was at DVExpo in New York last week.

If you own an FS-3AB and currently use it with a Panasonic DVC200, it is possible to remove the FS-3 from the Panasonic and mount it directly to a GY-DV5000 camcorder without much trouble. It mounts the same as to your Panasonic, you will just need to use the supplied 6-4pin FireWire cable. It should function the same as well in terms of camcorder control. You should then be able to move the FS-3 between both camcorder setups.

I hope this answers your question.

Matt
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #55
Major Player

Hi Matt,

Thx for your kind reply. I thought there was a way to connect the av signals of jvc with fs3 without use of the firewire cable ... is it possible...??? i have always been running the risk of bending the firewire cable joint on the camera.

I look forward to your suggestion !
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM   #56
Focus Enhancements

Hi Bankim,

The solution for using FireStore with a GY-DV5000 camcorder that does not require a FireWire cable is the FireStore DR-DV5000. This model of FireStore was designed especially for use with the GY-DV5000 and features a 52-pin connector interface that passes DV and control I/O between FireStore and the camcorder eliminating the need for a FireWire cable. You also get a bunch of control specific features for the GY-DV5000 and disk recorder status in the viewfinder. JVC sells this product worldwide.

If you are using an FS-3 with the GY-DV5000, it will work, but you will need a FireWire cable.

Hope that answers your question.

Matt McEwen
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:25 PM   #57
Major Player

Thanks Matt. I guess i have to rather stick to firewire cable option unless I dont want FS to work both with JVC & Panny.

Once I get hands on my JVC I will post my 1st hand exp !

Cheers !
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:00 AM   #58
Focus Enhancements

Bankim,

Just to be clear, the FireStore DR-DV5000 does include the ability to connect to a JVC GY-DV5000 via the 52-pin connector OR by using a FireWire connector. It has both. That way, if you need to use DR-DV5000 with a non GY-DV5000 source, it is possible.

Matt McEwen
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM   #59
Major Player

Matt,

In that case then howd i connect FS3 to my panny with Anton Mount. Is there any way to have FS3 have the 52 pin mount along with AB mount !

I might sound confused cox i simply cant visualise howdoes this 52 pin connector looks like...

However i feel my present FS3 with AB Mount will happily arry noth JVC & Panny ... both with AB mount & firewire I/o.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:37 PM   #60
Focus Enhancements

Hi Bankim,

The 52-pin connector is actually on the back of the camcorder where you currently have your battery plate. With DR-DV5000 and the GY-DV5000, you remove the battery plate and mount DR-DV directly to the camcorder (where the 52-pin connector mates). The battery plate then goes on the rear of the DR-DV5000.

To answer your question, you will be able to use your FS3 on both DR-DV and your Panasonic, you'll just need the FireWire cable.

Hope that helps,
Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore