Firestore & DV500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old February 11th, 2004, 05:54 AM   #1
Tourist

Firestore & DV500

Has anyone got a firestore working with the DV500 if so how is it linked
can the camera power switch switch the firestore on and of and is the firewire conected internally
any help thanks
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #2
New Boot

Hello Alan,
If you are talking about the GY-DV500 then it connects externally via 4pin cable. I don't know about the power up. I am trying to also find out some things about this setup. I have 2 DV500's and could use one on each. What I want to know is if you have to run tape in order for the camera to trigger record.
On the other hand if I had 2 DV5000's these would not be an issue because the FS-3 is fully integrated with that camera.
Ted Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Focus Enhancements

Focus manufactures two camera mount FireStore models, DR-DV5000 and FS-3.

DR-DV5000 was designed to be used with the GY-DV5000 camcorder and is sold exclusively by JVC. DR-DV5K mounts between the battery system and the camcorder. Communication between the camcorder and DR-DV5K is via a 52-pin connection which passes power, DV and control information. When used with the GY-DV5000, it is possible to trigger record from the camcorder with or without a tape. It also features disk recorder status in the view finder, no need for an external FireWire cable for DV I/O, multiple control modes and the unique dump to tape/dump to disk feature. DR-DV5000 can also mount directly to the GY-DV500, DV550 or DV700 camcorders. It is however necessary to have a tape loaded in order to "slave" the DR-DV5000 to the camcorder's record triggers.

FS-3 is designed for use on other camcorders. FS-3 comes configured with either Anton/Bauer, V-Mount, PAG-Lock or NP battery mounts and is designed to mount between the camcorder and battery system. For more info on these models and their specifications, visit http://www.firestore.com.
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #4
New Boot

How would the DR-DV5000 mount to a DV500? Like the FS-3?
Ted Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #5
Focus Enhancements

Hi Ted,

The DR-DV5000 comes with an adapter plate that allows the unit to mount to the rear of a DV500, DV550 or DV700. This plate screws to the rear of the camcorder and the DR-DV5000 latches to that. The battery system then mounts to the rear of DR-DV5000 and with the use of some pass through cables, powers both DR-DV and the camcorder.

On the Focus support website, you can download the DR-DV5000 QuickStart guide which details the mount process to the compatible JVC cameras.

One other nice thing about DR-DV5000 for DV500,-550/-700 owners is that if you decide to upgrade to the GY-DV5000, DR-DV5000 can be used on your new camera with all the benefits I mentioned in my last post.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #6
Tourist

re dv500 & Firestore

Thank for all the info m8s is anyone using the dv500 with firestore,
JVC have a modified firestorm for the dv500 Im hopeing it is linked more than just power and firewire.
Why buy from JVC if its the same as the standard Firestore?
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #7
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alan,

As I mentioned previously, the DR-DV5000 version of FireStore that is sold worldwide by JVC features a number of unique features not on the FS-3 unit. It also comes standard with both a wired and infrared remote control and an RS-232C cable. These are all optional on FS-3.

The connection between the GY-DV500 and the FireStore DR-DV5000 is a power connector and a 6-4 pin FireWire cable. Comminucation such as record triggers, AV/C control, timecode and DV audio/video all are passed via the FireWire connection.

If you at any stage update to the JVC GY-DV5000 camcorder, you get enhanced communication using the unique 52-pin interface between camcorder and DR-DV5000. This is the same connection used with the GY-DV5000 and the JVC KA-DV5000 network adapter. Check out http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=&model_id=MDL101367
for more info.

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore