DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   I ordered my new FS-H200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/239381-i-ordered-my-new-fs-h200.html)

Taylor Brush August 21st, 2009 09:58 AM

I have been meaning to write up my review.

The H200 seems to be great. I just put it on quicktime or m2t and it automatically reads the timecode and adjusts perfectly. The interface is simple to use and straightforward, but I'm sure you will find it easy if you have ever used any other firestore recorders. (I hadn't, but it looks like the same as the others...)

Importing into Avid Media Composer 3.1 was my main issue, but it works beautifully. It fast imports in the original format, just re-wrapping it as an MFX file. My test QuickTime file took FOREVER to import, but then all I got was a white screen. No problem for me, but I was just testing how it worked with Avid.

I will never capture again from tape using Avid. Avid works really sloppy with the JVC ProHD GY-1xx and 2xx series cameras, but the firestore even read a hard to capture tape and recorded it perfectly. I was so elated - I wish I had bought this thing before I ingested about 15 tapes the month before!

I bought a cable to take advantage of the Anton Bauer power tap, but to my disappointment, my power tap is not working... Never used it, but it's dead... Called JVC in Belgium and their tech is out for the month. So convenient... So Belgium...

I also bought a Anton Bauer side mount because I find the included handle mount makes the handle impossible to use. Other people may have more luck with it, but in my shooting my docs, I do a lot of ENG run-and-gun stuff and I have to have the handle to hold the camera. The handle clamp screws off so you can just use the cradle if you want to mount it somewhere else like me. that part works great, so no complaints (Except that Anton Bauer charges ridiculously high prices for their parts...)

I don't go out in the field for a long period until next week, so I suppose I am gong to use the firestore until the battery dies and then shoot tape. Fortunately I know I can ingest it easily if I have to do that. I turned down the brightness for the screen and the buttons, turned the backlight to automatically go off, so hopefully I won't have to use tape. I'll comment about the battery life at that point, but the short things I have done, the battery seems to be a winner.

If you are going to buy this any time soon, get your CF cards now, since Sandisk is running an insane rebate. Basically, if you buy three cards, you get one and a portion of another free. It's pretty good, and now I have over 7 1/2 hours of recording time on three cards. I bought the small Pelican case for the CF cards and it hold them wonderfully. It also has a lanyard attachment, so you can clip them to something or wear them, so you don't lose them.

I have to say I'm very happy with the H200 and if you shoot DV or HDV, I encourage you to buy one. It makes it so much easier - wish they had put it out there before.

One last thing - I usually pine and debate over buying expensive gear, but with this, I jumped on it. I have been waiting for someone to make an affordable flash recorder for over a year now. I wasn't disappointed. Now I'm just trying to rig some kind of case up...

Hope this helps.

Ed Dooley August 22nd, 2009 05:45 AM

That's good news, thanks for the review.
Ed

Gary Bettan August 26th, 2009 06:53 AM

We've been getting great feedback from our customers with the FSH200. I think it really hits the sweet spot for what you guys have been looking for. While the CF cards are expensive today, I have no doubt in my mind we'll be buying 128, then 256 GB cards for under $100 in the not so distant future.

We've put together some nice bundles with the FSH200 and emeory cards and some of our editing packages Videoguys Focus DTE Bundles

Gary

Taylor Brush August 27th, 2009 04:36 AM

Power Tap is working now, it was just a blown fuse, and I am running power off of the Anton Bauer Gold Mount Power Tap using the same cable labeled for the FS-4. I took a gamble that it was the same and it is.

I might recommend getting a right angle firewire cable for this, as the one that comes with it sticks out considerably.

Anton Bauer | PT-FS4 Power Tap to Firestore - Power | PTFSR

Steve Gerhart September 6th, 2009 10:19 AM

Jvc gy-dv5000u

anyone using this on a JVC GY-DV5000U and import into avid media composer 3.5
thanks

Thanh Nguyen September 27th, 2009 11:57 PM

Update for everyone. If you using Canon XHA1s the remaining minute of the card will show up in your viewfinder. I think it will work with any camcorder that had 6pin Firewire. I have not tested with my JVC HD110 yet don't know if anyone did. the time remaining did not show up in my XHA1 because it have 4pin firewire. It sweet to know. Now it they can make a firmware that will show the battery information of the FS that would be awsome i don't think that will be hard to add will it???

Ian Skurrie October 7th, 2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Boyer (Post 1178658)
There is no viewfinder information when you use the FS-H200 and the JVC GY-HD 100/110 cameras (just the same as it was with the FS-4HD)

When you say there is no viewfinder information does the red recording light come on??

regards
Ian Skurrie

Aaron McFarlane October 19th, 2009 06:26 PM

FS_H200 Canon XH A1Test?

Hey Mark,

How did the Canon XH A1 test go with FS-H200?

Dave Stern October 21st, 2009 01:36 AM

can anyone say whether the FS-H200 will record through a tape change on the XHA1 (not s), or would I need to record with no tape in order to have uninterrupted video on the FS-h200 (e.g. for long recordings past 1 tape).

any frames dropped in the tape change / how many?
is any audio / video sync lost?

thanks....

Alex Wren November 25th, 2009 06:53 AM

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows if you can use the FS-H200 without a tape in a JVC GY-HD111 and if the FS will create timecode? Is it possible to trigger via the camera's record buttons or do you have to use the unit rec button to record in this way?

I am using the cheaper (but very good) DSM batteries so would need to look at a mounting option that is either on top the camera (pref with a hot shoe on top so I can still mount my LCD monitor) or maybe a tripod mount. Anyone know what fittings are on the unit and where I might see a list of accessories?

Alex

Ed Dooley December 2nd, 2009 01:04 PM

I use it with an HD-110U, and yes, it records TC and you can use the camera's record button.
I set up the CF cards as UDF format (rather than Fat32). You have an option for how you want to control the recording. The 3 options are Normal (the FSH-200 buttons control the unit), External (for newer camera control), and Syncro (for older camera control). I found that I couldn't get camera recording control by using the External setting, but it works fine using Synchro.
Ed

Alex Wren December 3rd, 2009 03:54 AM

Thanks Ed,

Mine arrived yesterday but still waiting for my media card to turn up - how frustrating is that.

I shall give it a test to see what works best. So just to get this straight do you use 'Syncro' mode for hard drive only recording using the cameras record button? Can you also use this mode for doing a dual record?

Ed Dooley December 3rd, 2009 10:29 AM

I use Synchro mode for recording to card *and* tape. The instructions say that External mode works for cameras that don't need a tape inserted and Synchro mode is for "older" cameras that need a tape inserted. It only works in Synchro mode with my camera (if I want camera recording control), but that's OK with me since I want a tape backup.
Ed

Carlos San Roman December 22nd, 2009 11:36 AM

Anyone maybe "Matt",

Using a JVC HD200. Like Ed said the camera controls will only work in the Synchro mode.

I only see the counter moving in the TC but not the Absolute, Counter, Remaining , or UB. Is that normal?

The TC also seems to be behind a few frames from the TC on the camera. Is that normal?

And while I don't mind having the tape in the camera as a backup while I record, I'm guessing you have to stop recording to change the tape which means the FSH200 also has to stop recording. That's kind of counter productive to why I went to tapeless since it always seems that what I'm shooting always goes over that 60 minute mark. Or am I missing something? Can it continue to record while a tape is being changed?

Thanks,

Carlos