Contiguous Timecode with Firestore FS-1 and MXproDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:17 PM   #1
Tourist

Contiguous Timecode with Firestore FS-1 and MXproDV

I have my Firestore FS-1 recording the DV output from my MxProDV. I am recording long single sessions (around 90 minutes) and this all works just great.

My problem is that when I import the set of 2Gb clips into Final Cut Pro 4, each clip seems to have a timecode that FCP see as starting from "00:40:40:00" or "00:00:00:00" depending on what format I use.

I have tried recording files in QuickTime, DV and AVI2 format with similar results.

I can edit the clips in FCP but I need the TC to be contiguous so I can match edits against my logs.

In the Firestore manual it says that "If the timecode is present it will be recorded to the clip" but if the DV source is coming from a mixer does this mean there is no TimeCode present? In the absence of timecode on the input does the FireStore just revert to 00:00:00 at clip boundaries?

All suggestions appreciated.

Goro
Goro Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hello Goro,

Unfortunately, MXProDV does strip out the timecode from the DV stream. Therefore, FS-1 is starting the timecode at 00:00:00:00 for each clip. If timecode was in the DV stream, FS-1 would record it.

With our FireStore FS-3 and DR-DV5000 products, we introduced the ability to set external TC, free run TC, record run TC or regen TC. It is also possible to preset a start timecode value. Even though these models were developed for direct mounting to camcorders, they can also be used stand alone.

Hope that helps,

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Tourist

Matt,

Thanks for the info. I am right in thinking that I could solve the problem (at least in theory) by adding a timecode generator downstream of the MX Pro?

Ideally this would be a box with DV in, DV out and a mechanism for setting the timecode - Do you happen to know if any such class of device exists? I'm using the FS-1 as part of portable usability lab so the rack mounted timecode generators found in most studio set ups are too big and bulky for my needs.

Thanks
Goro
Goro Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Focus Enhancements

Hi Goro,

The only device I can think of that allows you to embed an external LTC signal into a DV stream is the Miranda DV Bridge +. It is quite small (about the size of FS-1), but does not have a time code generator in it...it simply allows you to add an external LTC signal to an existing DV stream. You would require an external TCG separately. Horita makes some inexpensive TCGs. Here is some links...

http://www.miranda.com
http://www.horita.com

From a pure cost stand point however, it may be worth investing in an FS-3 for this application as it has a built-in DV TCG.

Hope this helps,

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore