DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Question for Matt (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/29789-question-matt.html)

Bob Irwin July 29th, 2004 10:49 AM

Question for Matt

We purchased a GY-DV5000U/DR-DV5000 package in October '03. We are unable to record via the 52-pin connector. Communication between camera and recorder is functional, but when I press record on the camera, the recorder records one frame, of apparently nothing, then stops. If I connect the external firewire cable between the units, function is restored. All other functions of the camera and recorder are normal, with one exception on the DR-DV5000. The keeper function has never appeared to work as expected. When we go to organize clips, the files selected are supposed to be placed into a folder labelled "KEEPERS". Instead, all the clips are placed in a folder with only date and time the folder was created as the name.

I realize these problems probably aren't associated but wanted to post while they were both fresh in my mind.

System info:

GY-DV5000U ser. # 08830389

DR-DV5000 ser. # 10339 date mfg 3603
OS ver. 1.2(upgraded from 1.1)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Matt McEwen July 29th, 2004 11:14 AM

Hi Bob,

Have you had your GY-DV5000 modified by JVC for 52-pin operation? This will disable the 4-pin FireWire connector on the camcorder and instead place all DV I/O through FireStore. If the 4-pin on the camcorder is still active, it sounds like this may be the issue. The blank file you are seeing is a header file that has no DV frames because there is no DV over the 52-pin.

Your best bet always is to contact Focus tech support at 408 370 9963 or support@focusinfo.com or JVC's tech support for more information.

With the keepers issue, it sounds like you have the FOLDER PREF menu set to Scene Mark instead of Keeper. This was introduced in version 1.2. See page 31 of the Version 1.2 user guide.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Bob Irwin July 29th, 2004 11:55 AM

Thanks Matt.

The camera was delivered with the 52-pin con installed as 'ready-to-go' for use with the recorder. I was not aware a further mod. was needed. As I said, this was a package purchase with the expressed intention the items be integrated as one. This is what I was told was being delivered. I guess they missed the mod. before delivering it. Do you know if this is something that will require the camera to be shipped out or can we do it at home?

Bob

Matt McEwen July 30th, 2004 08:46 AM

Hi Bob,

I believe that the GY-DV5000 is available from JVC as a GY-DV5000U or a GY-DV5000U(A). The "A" model is modified for 52-pin DV operation. The reason this is done is that some customers may still want to use the 4-pin FireWire port on the camcorder's rear panel, so this is why the standard U model is available. For those wanting to use DR-DV5K without any cabling, the U(A) model is available. I believe that JVC needs to do this mod, but check with them to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Bob Irwin July 30th, 2004 09:05 AM

That is strange, since we did get the U(A) model. Or, at least, that's what it says on the box it came in. There's a big, fat black (A) on yellow background right on the JVC label.

Oh well. I spoke to Rob Yarosh at JVC Pro Sales yesterday, and he will be performing the mod. personally.

Matt McEwen August 1st, 2004 08:11 PM

I was mistaken, having a GY-DV5000U(A) model does not guarantee that the unit will be modified for DV I/O operation over the 52-pin port. This is a modification JVC does on request.

Thanks to Robert Yarosh from JVC for his help in clarifying.

Matt McEwen

Michael Best September 9th, 2004 07:10 AM

What are yor thoughts on this camera?

Matt McEwen September 20th, 2004 08:23 AM

Hi Michael,

The GY-DV5000 seems like a great camcorder to me. It seems to produce a great picture and has a lot of cool features. I am not however, a day to day shooter, so maybe a user can jump in on this thread.

Hope that helps,
Matt McEwen