DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS-4 powered from Anton-Bauer brick? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/34670-fs-4-powered-anton-bauer-brick.html)

Will Kennedy November 8th, 2004 05:03 PM

FS-4 powered from Anton-Bauer brick?

Is it possible to power the FS-4 from an Anton-Bauer brick? Specifically from a powertap connector to the mini power jack. The www.focusinfo.com site describes an input of 15vdc. The Anton-Bauer bricks fluctuate voltage from 12-16vdc and I don't know whether the FS-4 could accept a range of voltage.

Thanks
Will

Matt McEwen November 10th, 2004 02:41 PM

Hi Will,

Yes, the FS-4's input voltage is 15V, so using an Anton/Bauer should be no problem. You would just need the DC out to mini jack connector which I am not sure if AB makes.

Hope that helps.

Matt McEwen

Will Kennedy November 16th, 2004 05:22 PM

Matt,

That does help. Anton-Bauer sells a power-tap to open-ended cable which could be spliced to a mini-jack power plug.

Just to confirm: there's no chance of overpowering the FS4 when the Anton-Bauer brick is putting out 16vdc at the maximum?

Thanks again,
Will

Matt McEwen November 19th, 2004 10:03 PM

Hi Will,

> Just to confirm: there's no chance of overpowering the FS4 when the Anton-Bauer brick is putting out 16vdc at the maximum?

This is correct. We will be testing these types of setups shortly, so I will let you know how it goes.

Matt

Will Kennedy November 30th, 2004 05:23 PM

Matt,

Thanks, I'll keep track of this thread

Will

Will Kennedy January 6th, 2005 01:33 PM

Hi Matt,

Sorry to bug, but I'm curious to hear if you've had a chance to test this setup. We're holding on purchasing our first FS4-PRO based on this confirmation.

Thanks
Will

Matt McEwen January 6th, 2005 06:26 PM

Hi Will,

I have not as yet. I'll let you know shortly.

Matt McEwen

Will Kennedy January 7th, 2005 11:21 AM

Thanks Matt

Will

Hart Boyd March 20th, 2005 10:32 AM

Just curious of the out come of the test to power a FS-4 from an Anton Bauer brick. Any updates?

Matt McEwen March 20th, 2005 11:39 AM

I'll have an answer for your tomorrow Will.
Sorry for the delay.
Matt

Matt McEwen March 21st, 2005 05:39 PM

Hi Will,

Again, sorry for the delay on this.

I just started using FS-4 powered solely by an Anton/Bauer Dionic 90 (90w/hour). It works fine so far. The Anton is mounted to a standard Gold Mount plate to access the power tap socket. I made a simple power tap to mini jack cable to connect the Gold Mount to the FS-4. I'll let you know how long it runs for.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Will Kennedy March 23rd, 2005 04:50 PM

Matt,

That's good news, that would describe my setup.

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Will

Matt McEwen March 23rd, 2005 06:15 PM

Hi Will,

So far, I have had the Dionic 90 powering the FS-4 in playback (same power load as recording on FS-4) for 7 hours. The Anton is still showing a healthy charge as well.

If an FS-4 battery is attached to the unit, connecting the Anton not only powers FS-4, it will also charge the battery.

Matt

Will Kennedy March 24th, 2005 11:41 AM

Hi Matt,

That's interesting about the FS-4 battery picking up the recharge. Do you generally recommend leaving the FS-4 batteries on a charger or is this possibly damaging to the battery? I know that anton-bauer recommends leaving them on but a lot of other manufacturers say that this deteriorates the power cycle.

Thanks
Will

Matt McEwen March 31st, 2005 04:11 PM

Hi Will,

Sorry, once again I am late with a reply!

There is no problem leaving the batteries on the charger._ Once the charge cycle terminates, it's done until it's restarted._ Even repeated restarting will not overcharge the battery.

BTW, an external charger is on our roadmap.

Hope that helps,

Matt