Continuous recording issues when recording in HDV M2T at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Continuous recording issues when recording in HDV M2T

I realize that they have been a few other posts on this topic, but I haven't been able to find specific answers to my issues.

I am trying to use an FS-4 HD to record a continuous hour-long shot, to be used in Premiere Pro CS3. As everybody knows, b/c of the file size limit, when recording in the HDV format (M2T, not quicktime) you get about 8 to 9 minutes of footage, and then a new clip is automatically created. I ran a test and found they there was a noticeable jump, that appeared to be about one or two frames worth, at the seams of the clips.

Given that it's difficult for me to believe that such an expensive item would lead to such unprofessional problems, are there any solutions to this problem?

On a side note, is it at all possible to use the HD quicktime codec on the FS-4 HD and use it on a PC, in Premiere? And would this better handle the seams or would it be the same issue?
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Natan

I've never been successful in using my firestore FS4HD recording in HDV. I shot a day-long project last year using my Sony FX1e and the Firestore in HDV (M2T files), but had so many bad issues (timecode breaks, audio out of sync) that I captured all the footage from the tape. I was also using Premiere Pro CS3.

I have contacted Focus Enhancements in the past about a possible upgrade to record Quicktime files, but this can only be enabled (at a cost) on the FS4 Pro model. I really have to say that the FS4HD is one of the worst things I have ever bought in connection with video. It was expensive (over £700) and it has a short battery life, added to which the ridiculous alarm that sounds when the battery is getting low and ruins the soundtrack.

I only use the FS4 now to record in SD as a backup on my secondary camera and to be able to transfer files to the PC more quickly.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's looking like HDV recording on the Firestore won't work then.

On the Sony HDR-FX1, which is what I use, the footage captured in the DV rec mode (whether in 4:3 or 16:9 mode) is pretty poor when recorded to minidv tape. If I record in this mode with a firestore, will I potentially get a better image, analogous to recording HD to an external hard drive and getting non-HDV footage using a different codec?

So, basically, is there any way to get sd footage off of the FX1 when recording to firestore that is superior to what one gets on a tape?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Focus Enhancements

No, there is no codec in FS-4. It simply takes the stream from the cameras FireWire port (already encoded). Image quality will be the same as tape.
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Do the continuous HDV recording issues occur when using the FS-5?
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Focus Enhancements

FS-5 (and MR-HD100, FS-CV & FS-H200) utilize the UDF file format where max clip size is 20GB (or about 1.5 hours of recording.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Focus Enhancements

... sorry, I meant to say UDF disk format, not file format.
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen View Post
... sorry, I meant to say UDF disk format, not file format.
Matt, this is the missing piece of information I was looking for.

Does recording one huge 20GB 1.5 hour file have an increased chance of failing/dropping out, or any such thing, compared with multiple 2GB files?
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore