Fs-4 When? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Closed Thread

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fs-4 When!!!???

I am aware that sometimes timelines get determined and just the same broken, but I would like to know whether there is a more definite time in which we can expect our pre-ordered FS-4's to be delivered, unfortunately there is projects that could benefit from such device and I don't like being hung to dry or dissappoint my clientelle.

Thanks.
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alfredo,

We are still planning on shipping the first FS-4 units this month (December). The FS-4 Pro will follow early next year. I will post to this forum as soon as I know exactly when they will be available.

Matt McEwen
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks,

However that's not very specific at all, December could mean today or almost next year, plus your language is vague enough so it could mean next year too.

I gotta say it's very dissappointing when you guys don't take us customers seriously enough to have a hard deadline or at least a "within days" estimation.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Matt:

I for one do think you take your customers seriously, and I know deadlines can be very slippery things. Nonetheless, I'm in the same boat as Alfredo: I have a project coming up in the first week of January and I'd love to have the FS-4 to shoot with, but I will have to have something. Without having to necessarily pick a date, is it possible to tell me whether or not an FS-4 I ordered today would ship to me for arrival before the new year? (I don't need the pro model.) Have you received enough advance orders that fulfillment might become a problem? I appreciate any help you can offer.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM   #5
Focus Enhancements

Hi Dan and Alfredo,

The complexity of the product is such that it is impossible to know to the degree of accuracy that fulfills your, "within days" request. A single component being held up in customs can throw off a schedule for a week or more. It isn't fair to turn this into an issue of us "taking customers seriously enough", since I continue to respond honestly with the most up-to-date information that I have. I consider our communications to be quite open for a public company--in light of strict fair disclosure laws.

We have hundreds of FS-4's on backorder, and are working hard to complete the product. It is unfortunate if our ship dates do not support or possibly jeopardize a particular project, and I sincerely hope that you will have the opportunity to use FS-4 for many of your projects. On the other hand, I don't wish to turn this forum into a daily production report. Currently we plan on shipping the last week of December, so I would be cautious in planning a FS-4-based job in early January.

Thanks,

Matt McEwen
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:05 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I would point out here that obviously Focus *is* taking their customers seriously, as is readily evidenced by their regular and consistent participation here. You have Mr. McEwen who has committed himself to responding to all manner of discussions in this forum; that's a form of direct interaction with customers that in my opinion more manufacturers need to adopt. Notice also that his input goes far beyond answering pre-sales questions; his track record on this board shows that service after the sale is a strong Focus commitment and a very good measure of how they do take their customers seriously.

While I can understand the frustrations of those who are anxiously waiting for orders to be filled (and we have all been in that situation at one time or another), I think it's most unfair to accuse Focus of disregarding any customer. Focus wants to put the FS-4 into your hands just as much as you want to receive it. Believe me, I'm sure that Matt and the rest of the Focus crew wanted to ship these pieces weeks ago, but the realities of manufacturing especially where overseas components are involved are far more complicated than they appear. No doubt Matt is as disappointed about this as you. So please take it easy, be prepared to roll tape just a little while longer and try to be grateful for the updates which he is providing -- because it used to be that some companies would simply leave customers in the dark over this matter. At least Matt is here to tell us what's really going on. Plan accordingly -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:54 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Matt, that's what I needed to know.
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Here we are again, last week of December and no news...
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

I'll ask Matt to post an update. The last week of December is not over yet.

Old December 28th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #10
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alfredo,

The first beta units are now with customers. Depending on how the beta test phase continues to pan out, I would expect volume shipments for FS-4 some time in January. We are trying very hard to get the product ready for shipment, but as myself and Chris have pointed out, it is difficult to give a "within days" response at this point.

So, please be prepared to roll tape for at least a little while longer.

Thanks for your patience.

Matt McEwen
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Well it's the middle of January and SURPRISE SURPRISE!

NOTHING to show for it. I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth it at this point. I'm freezing some of my assets because I have no clue when the order is going to kick in and explaining my clients that "it's the manufacturer's fault" won't get you far.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #12
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alfredo,

Thank you for your patience waiting for FS-4. Believe me, we are all anxious to get it out in user's hands. Beta testers and engineering are working hard right now to get it ready. At the moment, it looks like shipments will be sometime in February. Like I said in a previous post, be prepared to roll tape for a couple more times and you should have your unit soon. I'll update soon when I have more information.

Thanks again for your patience.

Matt
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the updates Matt, however I can't wait for this anymore, I had to cancel my pre-order. I just can't wait for this product anymore. It's not worth it.
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM   #14
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alfredo,

I am sorry to hear that. Thanks for your interest in the product and I hope at some point in the future you will be able to try a FireStore product.

Best regards,

Matt McEwen
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry about that, guys. The situation is just as frustrating for Focus as it is for everybody who's waiting for them. When the FS-4 does begin to ship, we'll cover it in a big way here.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore