DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FireStore FS-4 Promo 1: Field Kit Special (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/40135-firestore-fs-4-promo-1-field-kit-special.html)

Chris Hurd February 25th, 2005 09:31 PM

FireStore FS-4 Promo 1: Field Kit Special

Howdy from Texas,

Get the FireStore FS-4 Field Kit for Only $849! Valid March 1, 2005 - March 31, 2005

FireStore FS-4 is going to change the way you shoot and edit video. There is no better time than now to experience Direct To Edit Technology with this limited time FS-4 Field Kit Special Offer. The FS-4 Field Kit is the easiest way to go tapeless in the field! The kit includes: FireStore FS-4 (inc. 90 minute battery, 4-ft. FireWire cable and power supply); additional 90 minute battery; Camera Mount Kit (inc. cradle, swivel hot-shoe mount and 1-ft. FireWire cable). Total Value $1,057; Field Kit Special Offer $849."

Full details at http://www.focusinfo.com/products/fi.../fs-4Promo.htm.

Hart Boyd March 1st, 2005 10:53 AM

Interesting how only one of the promotional partners listed on the Focus page has the FS-4 Field Kit (Part Number ASYF-0897-01) listed.

Since I preordered and paid for mine back in December 2004 I feel some what cheated as the FS-4 Camera Mount Kit would be nice to have and now I have to spend an addition $129 for it. Just doesn't seem right as they have my money and I have been waiting patiently. :-)

David Yuen March 1st, 2005 11:48 AM

Not sure what the field kit is

I just spoke with someone at VideoGuys and he was unable to specify anything about the Field Kit because the units are not shipping.

My e-mail to FOCUS Enhancements got me this reply:

The camera kit contains all hardware needed for camera attachement.
The "hot-shoe" mount refers to the possibility of sliding the FS-4 out while in operation.
There is only an advantage if you plan to mount the FS-4 to a camera.
The FS-4 comes standard with a beltclip.

So the advantage of the field kit seems to rest on whether or not one needs to slide the FS-4 out while in operation. Which leaves me unable to determine whether or not I need this capability for another $100.

Chris Hurd March 1st, 2005 11:53 AM

David, it's really just a question of whether or not you want to mount the FS-4 directly to a camcorder's accessory shoe.

Daniel Kohl March 2nd, 2005 08:09 AM

the FS-4 cradle has a small tripod mount screw thread (1/4"?) which makes it possible to use any swivel head or other means of mounting the FS-4 to your camera. I have been using it in the field with the beta unit I am testing , and for the way I shoot it is a must. If the cradle had not come with the beta unit I would have built one. My only critical note about the cradle, is that the one that came with the beta unit is made out of hard plastic, which in my opinion makes it potentially more breakable than if it were made of hard rubber for example. Of course I don't know if hard rubber would pose problems as far as the reliability of the anchored metal screw-mount. I also can't say for sure that the cradle that came with the beta unit will be the same as the one they will be shipping. The cradle I have been using, has held up well though, so far.

Hart, maybe you should cancel your order and then re-order. I don't think that it is fare that you should be disadvantaged in any way for your patience!

David Yuen March 2nd, 2005 09:47 AM

Not understanding how it works

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Kohl : the FS-4 cradle has a small tripod mount screw thread (1/4"?) which makes it possible to use any swivel head or other means of mounting the FS-4 to your camera. I have been using it in the field with the beta unit I am testing , and for the way I shoot it is a must. If the cradle had not come with the beta unit I would have built one.-->>>

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding how the cradle works. What is the difference between mounting the FS-4 with the cradle and without the cradle?

Steve Hawley March 2nd, 2005 10:24 AM

two at once

I too have been patiently waiting since early December for this product that has been promised in December, then January, then February, then a "concrete ship date of Feb. 28" according to an Firestore sales rep., now a maybe this weekend or next week or whenever...

I guess I mis-read the original literature. I thought it was shipping with the hot shoe cradle.

I'm shooting with a GL2 and am trying to find or figure out how to engineer a way to use my light on the front and the FS-4 towards the back of the handle. I was trying to find hot shoe adapters, thinking I could have someone fabricate a thin piece of metal that would run the length of the handle. It would slide into the hot shoe at the front and have hot shoe openings on top at the front and back.

Anyone know of such a beast or how best to go about creating one?

Any thoughts?

- Steve

David Yuen March 2nd, 2005 11:13 AM

Try these antlers

I have a GL2 and I use this. Be aware that this is a cold-shoe extension, so if your light runs off the Canon battery, you're lightless.

I'm trying to figure out if I need the cradle when I'm using this unit.

Hart Boyd March 2nd, 2005 12:24 PM

The reason I posted was about having to purchase a separate Field Kit now. Every picture I saw of the FS-4 showed it mounted to a camera (GL-2) and assumed that the mounting hardware was included and thought I read that it was. It would have been nice if it had been spelled out "FS-4 shown with optional accessories" but when I ordered it in December there was no mention of accessories except for batteries and a January delivery date. I don't mind the delay as I want a rock solid product but don't like getting penalized for preordering early.

From their website:

OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES:
Additional Custom Removable Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Pack (90 minutes estimated run-time)
Wired Remote Control Unit

ACCESSORIES:
CBLA-0114-01 FireStore FS-4 Serial Cable (RS-232C)
ACSS-0019-01 FireStore FS-4 Wired Remote Control
BATT-0008-01 Removale Li-Ion Battery Pack (90 minutes)

I don't see anywhere optional mounting hardware required and think the units should include it. I have been waiting patiently.

Gary Bettan March 2nd, 2005 02:57 PM

OK folks here is the latest news:

1) We now have the field kit information available on our website and you can order it. http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

2) We had the top guy from Focus in here yesterday. he was very apologetic about the delays. They were not technical, but design/mechanical. The plastic is now right and he was 99% sure they would beging shipping to us this weekend or Monday. We are flying in as many units as they can produce for us.

3) We do not yet have a delivery date fro FS4 w/ field kit. we're working with Focus to create an upgrade part that would allow users with back-orders to get shipped as soon as FS4 hit our warehouse, with field kits to follow.

4) Does anyone want HDV! FS-4 will have it. It'll initially be a $99.95 upgrade for registered users. Remember - FS-4 does not suffer from dropouts or dirt like tape!

5) FS-4 is SHIPPING!!! We will get our first units next week. We hope to have all backorders shipped by the 15th.

Gary

Mark Williams March 2nd, 2005 05:50 PM

Having to buy either the field kit or the cradle seperately in my opinion is rediculous. Most will use it attached to thier cam so IMO the FS-4 should have included the cradle in the base price. Here is an option I am working on. Use the following bracket from B&H at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/284435/BRB1A/REG/3741

or

http://www.bracket1.com/

If the FS-4 doesn't have any type screw attachment on the back to afix to the bracket then slap a 3" wide piece of velcro on both to attach or use HD velcro bands.

Any opinion on this?

Regards,

Mark

Daniel Kohl March 6th, 2005 02:36 PM

Hi Mark, and others,

I think Mark is on the right track. Here is a link to how I set up the
beta FS-4 in my possession.

http://www.marq5.de/

Two 1mm aluminum plates riveted together are screwed onto an inverted XL-1 shoulder pad. At the outer end of the plate assembly is a flash shoe mounted with four screws. Slid into that is a small Manfroto ball-head with flash shoe base attached to the FS-4 cradle. The FS-4 slides into the cradle and snaps into position at the FS-4's belt clip stud.

There is no tapped screw on the FS-4 without the cradle. The stud which fits nicely into the swiveling belt clip, or as I tried it out, chest clip. This stud alone, makes the FS-4 ready to be used in the field out of the box. It also offers a good starting point for retrofitters to mount the FS-4 to their cameras.

In my opinion the field kit is very convenient, but not absolutely necessary. I used it to find the best place for me to mount the FS-4 on my XL-1, but eventually, I will mount my FS-4 to were it is, without the ball-head, and maybe without the cradle... Although, I have to say, that having had the "field kit", has saved me a lot of cobbling time.

Mark's idea of slapping velcro onto the back of the FS-4 is not bad, if a bit profane. There is also the problem then, with access to the removable battery pack. But the "Bracket 1" looks pretty good. I would look into finding a way to mount the FS-4 using it's belt clip stud and something like, if not, the "Bracket 1". I wish that the "Bracket 1" went the other way, personally

Steve Hawley March 7th, 2005 06:13 AM

dual camera shoe adapter

I found this. It looks better for me than the bracket.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=303528&is=REG

- Steve

John Teti March 23rd, 2005 07:23 AM

That does look better Steve. Are you using one?

I ordered my FS-4 on Dec 18 and received it on March 18!

John

Andrew Petrie March 23rd, 2005 11:09 AM

Someone mentioned that the FS-4's cooling fan makes a bit of noise, and most camera shoes are located next/close to the mic... Is shoe-mounting really a good idea?