Firestore stops recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old February 27th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Firestore stops recording

We use a Firestore FS-1 to record an hour of video each week. Have been doing it for a year. For the second time in a month, we've gone to stop recording and the buttons are unresponsive, the FS-1 timecode is still running but the disk light is not blinking as it normally does. After power cycling the FS-1, we've find that the FS-1 had stopped recording long ago and the last file it created is garbage. The disk is not full.

Any ideas? The FS-1 gets video from a Laird LTM-6000 A/D converter and is connected to a Macintosh G5.

Perhaps related, I have noticed that the Firestore won't record unless we follow a strict power on procedure of the LTM-6000, Firestore, and then the G5. Any other combination and the Firestore won't record.

TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Contributor

I'm just curious, have you done a test capturing directly from a DV camera? I know that because this problem appears to not happen all the time, doing this test will not immediately prove that the problem is with the A/D converter.

I ask this because I have had periodic problems with my canopus ADVC 100 capturing directly to my G4 DP 1.42, and a power book. This wouldn't explain why the buttons are unresponsive on the FS-1 though.

How long is the last file, and what do the files befor the last "garbage" file look like?

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

I've moved your thread to the FS forum.

Have you tried contacting Focus Enhancements tech support
directly? I can imagine they may have a firmware upgrade for
the device for example (since it is the first generation). They
also may know about this "issue" already.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I reported the problem to Firestore in parallel with this thread. I checked the support section of the website but it offers no microcode for the FS-1.

We always do a test recording after formatting the drive. THat creates a usable file. Of the two times it has failed, once the FS-1 recorded 30 minutes worth of video and then left a 1GB file that could not be opened. THe other time it failed, the very first file in the series was the one that couldn't be opened. In both cases, the test recording worked fine.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Could be that your FS-1 is in need of a firmware update or something along those lines. Matt McEwen of Focus checks in here regularly; I'm sure he'll have some input for you shortly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Just a followup to say that Focus Tech support is involved. Not clear which component could be causing this. If anyone else experiences this problem, it'd be helpful.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore