FOCUS Enhancements Now Shipping FireStore FS-4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

FOCUS Enhancements Now Shipping FireStore FS-4

World's first portable Direct To Edit recorder for hand-held digital camcorders (March 02,2005)

"We are pleased to begin production shipments of FS-4 after a comprehensive and successful beta test program," said Matt McEwen, product manager for FOCUS Enhancements. "The demand and significant back-orders we have seen for this product supports our belief that tapeless acquisition and DTE Technology are quickly becoming the accepted standard for field production."

FireStore FS-4 is available now through the worldwide FOCUS Enhancements and Canon USA dealer and distributor networks for a US MSRP of $799, although there are several weeks of back logged orders before general availability. FireStore FS-4PRO 40GB and 80GB are expected to be available in late March 2005 for a US MSRP of $1,195 and $1,595 respectively.

We are having units flown into us and hope to ship out all backorders by the end of next week! http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

As of March 31st, B&H actually has the FS-4 in stock and have filled their back orders.
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:29 AM   #3

We've been getting units in over the past 2 weeks. All pre-orders were shipped, but we're still not getting enough units to meet demand.

Our next shipment (coming next week) should be enough to get us into a stock situation.

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry Gary,
Didn't mean to step on you guys like that. I should have read the post better. I was just happy to actually be able to pick one up. I completely support Videoguys as well.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:33 AM   #5

No problem. It's been hell getting units from Focus. They are ramping up as fast as they can, but they ahave not been able to keep up with demand.

FS-4 is a hit all over the world! B&H and Videoguys have to be patient while units go to Europe, Asia and South America.

As I said, hopefully by next week we'll have good supplies of FS-4 throughout the USA.

Gary
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Major Player

just got the e-mail from b&h. my new toy, fs-4, is on the way. delv. day monday 4.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Major Player

just received my fs-4 by ups.
did a quick lock at it, put the batt in,
guess what, the cooling fan is very laud, and also, when moving the unit around, the fan blades rub on something, so i guess i have to call the service center, and see how they want to handle this problem.
i wished a camera mount would be part of the unit..but

greetings
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #8
Trustee

Karl, how loud are these things in a real shooting environment? If say you were shooting a short film, with audio boomed etc, would you still hear the thing in the background? Just curious as I'd love to get into tapeless recording!

Aaron
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Karl, how loud are these things in a real shooting environment? If say you were shooting a short film, with audio boomed etc, would you still hear the thing in the background? Just curious as I'd love to get into tapeless recording!

Aaron -->>>

hello aaron,

i like to think that i have a defective unit, since the fan is very loud. most of my shootings are in a theater setting, and at most of them i get the audio by an on board mice. it would pick up the fan noise,..... boomed out, i say no.

greetings
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Karl, how loud are these things in a real shooting environment? If say you were shooting a short film, with audio boomed etc, would you still hear the thing in the background? Just curious as I'd love to get into tapeless recording!

Aaron -->>>

hello aaron,

called the focus support number today, and spoke to one of their reps. he listens, he gave me a ra number, fedex number, and ask me to return the unit for a replacement.
unfortunely they do not have a "store", i am just around the corner and willing to pick up a new unit.

greetings
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks for the update Karl.

Cheers
Aaron
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Karl,
Just got my FS-4 yesterday and got really worried by your post. I guess you did just get a bad unit. My fan is loud on powering up the unit, but just for about 3-4 seconds and then is unbelievably quiet. I could definitely shoot with it mounted on the back of the XL-2 without worrying about the mic picking up noise.

Hope they look after you quickly. Good luck.
Rob
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

The fan comes back on

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Mitchell : Hey Karl,
Just got my FS-4 yesterday and got really worried by your post. I guess you did just get a bad unit. My fan is loud on powering up the unit, but just for about 3-4 seconds and then is unbelievably quiet. I could definitely shoot with it mounted on the back of the XL-2 without worrying about the mic picking up noise. -->>>

Have you done a shoot with it? I'm pretty sure the fan will come back on periodically once you start recording.

I have let it idle in an air-conditioned office and when the fan kicks on, it is still quite audible from a few feet away.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Re: The fan comes back on

<<<-- Originally posted by David Yuen : <<<-- Originally posted by Rob Mitchell : Hey Karl,
Just got my FS-4 yesterday and got really worried by your post. I guess you did just get a bad unit. My fan is loud on powering up the unit, but just for about 3-4 seconds and then is unbelievably quiet. I could definitely shoot with it mounted on the back of the XL-2 without worrying about the mic picking up noise. -->>>

Have you done a shoot with it? I'm pretty sure the fan will come back on periodically once you start recording.

I have let it idle in an air-conditioned office and when the fan kicks on, it is still quite audible from a few feet away. -->>>

hello david,

no, i just charged up the batts. since in my case it's not just an operating noise, it sounds like it "grinds on something. i did not want to damage the unit.
it's like you said, start up in high speed, and then off/ or much lower speed, but.....was trying it several time with no change.

greetings
Old April 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Shooting with a mounted FS-4

Ah, I was referring to the statement about shooting with the FS-4 mounted on the XL-2. In my case, there is no way I would consider mounting it on my GL2 with the fan noise level, especially if I'm relying on my onboard mic.
David Yuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore