DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   audio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/41244-audio.html)

Corey Katz March 16th, 2005 02:24 PM

audio?

I was wonder about the audio for the FS-4 cause i got a canon XL1 and after about 20min of film the audio sync so I was wondering if the FS-4 would fix that and one more thing I wanted to know with the XL1 I can record 4 channels of audio on it but when i go to import the clips on final cut pro its only lets me use 2 of the audio channels like 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 and I want to use all 4 of them so I was wondering if its right on the hard drive when the clips go into final cut pro would i get all 4 channels of audio if someone could help me out with this it would be great

thxs

Daniel Kohl March 16th, 2005 03:50 PM

Hi Corey,

I don't know what is causing your audio to go out of sync, so I can't say if the FS-4 will fix that. All of my audio is in sync using the beta FS-4, I have been testing. Your problem may be with your NLE program's settings.

As far as your question about the four tracks of audio - I should have tested that while the beta testing was still going on. I think that this is an important function, which I have just sadly discovered, seems not to be supported by the FS-4.

I hope Matt will chime in here and tell me what one has to do to capture all four audio tracks offered by the XL-1 and XL-1s in 16 bit audio mode.

I just did a test using the beta FS-4 and it appears as though only two tracks are included in the Quicktime film created by it. The second stereo pair doesn't show up at all.

Corey Katz March 18th, 2005 08:48 AM

thanks for the reply daniel I looking into buying the fs-4 but I want to try 4 channels in 12 bit audio mode

Brad Tyrrell March 26th, 2005 02:12 PM

The data sheet (pdf) on the fs-4 page at Focus Enhancements says its compatible with 4 channel 12 bit operation.

I ALWAYS record 4 channels of sound. I work with Premiere Pro rather than Final Cut but don't do any capturing with Premiere because of the 2 channel limitation. I capture from my Xl1 with Scenalyzer which captures an avi with 2 channels of sound and a wav of the other 2 channels. Those I can import into Premiere without a hitch.

Does anyone know how the fs-4 deals with the extra audio channels? I was just about ready to buy, but after seeing this post I think I'd better wait to find out how to get all four channels into Premiere. If I have to recapture the alternate audio the fs-4 will actually add time to my process.

Brad

Dan Euritt March 28th, 2005 12:38 AM

isn't the fs-4 data an exact digital duplicate of what's on the dv tape? so the 4 channels of audio should be there, it's a question of how to seperate it all.

Brad Tyrrell March 28th, 2005 07:34 AM

Well, from what I've gleaned, the fs-4 has the ability to make an exact copy in the dv format but what's being touted is its ability to create, on the fly, the various formats that NLE's use as input.

I'm not really clear on all the technical differences, - whether or not there's further compression or just packaging changes when I capture dv to my hard drive. But, I do know that Premiere won't input the data from my XL-1 directly, it has to be formatted into avi and wav files.

My concern is whether or not the fs-4 makes that extra wav file when it's capturing so I can use it in Premiere.

Brad

Chris Hurd March 28th, 2005 07:49 AM

There is no further compression. It's all DV25. There's a different wrapper for each NLE platform, though... QuickTime for Final Cut Pro, AVI Type 2C for Canopus, etc.

Brad Tyrrell March 28th, 2005 10:20 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Any idea as to whether the fs-4 can pull those extra sound channels into a wav? Otherwise I'd have to capture in Scenalyzer again anyway.

My email to "contact us" in the fs-4 site got bounced back.

Brad