How do you go tapeless? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Tourist

How do you go tapeless?

I record weekly violin recitals that last anywhere from 90 minutes to 4 hours. I currently use a Sony digital 8 DCR-TRV340 and record in LP to stretch to 90 minutes. Changing tapes or timing the changing of tapes is impossible. I purchased a used Firestore FS-1 but how do I record without a tape in the camera? I tested going to the end of the tape to start recording but when the tape runs out the camera & Firestore both stop. Is there a "dummy" tape I can put in the camera to fool it into thinking it always has tape running?

Any help would be appreciated.
Steve Switala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Hello Steve and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net!

From what I understand the firestore should not stop recording while you
change tapes. Make sure you check the settings on the firestore and the
manual.

Otherwise try contacting Focus Enhancements (tech) support!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Switala
I record weekly violin recitals that last anywhere from 90 minutes to 4 hours. I currently use a Sony digital 8 DCR-TRV340 and record in LP to stretch to 90 minutes. Changing tapes or timing the changing of tapes is impossible. I purchased a used Firestore FS-1 but how do I record without a tape in the camera? I tested going to the end of the tape to start recording but when the tape runs out the camera & Firestore both stop. Is there a "dummy" tape I can put in the camera to fool it into thinking it always has tape running?

Any help would be appreciated.
hello steve,

you could tape directly onto a vcr

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

i use a modifed sony DSR-DU1 (80gig disk instead 40gig).
this is a nice tool that allow to control the record and play with a front panel or a remote button.
I discover unfortunately that most of DV camcorder (like my VX2000) are cutting the signal for few secondes when you extract the tape (not on pro model like the PD170 or DSR-3xx).
So recording on tape is possible only for the first 80 min (you can find DV tape at that length, at least in europe), then you need to continue on disk,without ejecting the tape.
That can cause another trouble because some camera are shutting down if the tape is inserted and no play or record is done.
another solution would be to use the camera as camera only (no tape) and use the firewire hardisk and the y/c output to a S-VHS vcr for security (even a D-VHS vcr). that allows 3 or 4 hours recording
if you can also find a DV recorder that has a DV input AND a DV output, so you can chain several dsk recorder.
I think that some DV-analog video converter like the ones made by canopus have several firewire plug so you could use them has a hub.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Tourist

Going Tapeless

Thanks to Rob, Karl, and Giroud for the info on my post. with all your help I finally figured it out. After connecting my Firestore FS-1, hard drive and camera with the usual hookups, I put my digital 8 in camera mode (like I'm going to start recording to tape) but without a tape inserted. Without a tape inserted the camera does not automatically shut off after 5 minutes. The only down side is the I must use the Firestore controls, not the camera record button to control recording. A small price to pay for 4+ hours of recording without having to change tapes.
This forum is great.
Steve Switala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Major Player

That technique works with my XL-1/FS-1, as well. The only problem is having to put up with the pesky little flashing no-tape icon in the middle of the screen! And, of course, you lose the back-up from the tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore