DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Firestore FS-4, not enough battery for the job!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/43420-firestore-fs-4-not-enough-battery-job.html)

Mark Geiser May 3rd, 2005 10:29 AM

Jon..

Good Idea, that way I can use the powerpack when doing the ceremony and speaches and then the rest just run off 2 pre charged FS4 batteries. Also whilst using the inverter its also charging the battery. Actually worth having just to be able to put batteries on charge when you do not have access to a mains outlet...I shall go and buy one of those, I think about £70 from halfords here in the UK..

Mark

Jon Omiatek May 4th, 2005 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Geiser
Jon..

Good Idea, that way I can use the powerpack when doing the ceremony and speaches and then the rest just run off 2 pre charged FS4 batteries. Also whilst using the inverter its also charging the battery. Actually worth having just to be able to put batteries on charge when you do not have access to a mains outlet...I shall go and buy one of those, I think about £70 from halfords here in the UK..

Mark

I bought mine at PepBoys in the US for $69. So that sounds right. I don't usually have access to power outlets so it works quite nice.

Jon

Mark Geiser May 19th, 2005 03:00 AM

Just to let you know that the battery that Jon mentions in this thread from batteryspace looks like a real alternative..I purchased one and also a ansmann acs 110 traveller charger for about £40, both items together cost about the same as a 90 minute battery from focus. The unit has a nice long lead so you can strap it to your tripod, and when mobile probably put it just use the FS4 battery as the 12 cell unit is quite heavy to put in pocket.

I'm testing the battery life at the moment so will post back..

Mark

Mark A. Foley July 27th, 2005 07:02 AM

Jon, How is the battery pack setup working? I just got 3 FS-4 and have order the batter pack setup you had mentioned earlier.....

Frank Dago July 27th, 2005 10:04 PM

MCE quick stream/Citidisc (shining)

Post Removed. Not related topic.
Sorry.

Todd Kivimaki July 28th, 2005 12:31 AM

Thought I'd chime in here since I was the one who bought the FS-4 and battery pack off of Jon. I actually didn't use the battery and fs-4 I bought from Jon, but another set just like it. Last weekend I shot the wedding on the FS-4 battery alone. It was a catholic wedding but it was short for a catholic wedding, the FS-4 ran a little over an hour. After the ceremony I plugged in the FS-4 to the battery pack, when I needed to use the FS-4 at the reception, it was fully charged, and ready to go. During the dances I didn't lug around the battery, at one point I did plug in the battery pack and shoot a couple of stationary shots while the FS-4 charged.

I probably should of had the FS-4 plugged in during the entrance, and toasts, stationary shots.

Over all the battery pack worked great. I actually bought another pack from bateryspace, it's a kit and has all you will need:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1261

The funny thing is I actually went out and bought a bike water bottle holder and attached it to my tripod leg. Yea I know it's a little tacky, but it works until I find another way to haul it around. And actually the FS-4 fits perfectly in the waterbottle holder. This is where I put the FS-4 during the ceremony, I don't use the battery pack during the ceremony because it would look horrible. With the FS-4 in the water bottle holder the camera picks up no fan noise, and I don't have to worry about clipping it on my belt.

The pyro dv drive looks interesting, but I like the assurance of a lcd screen telling me I'm recording, and how much time I have left.

Jon Omiatek July 28th, 2005 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Kivimaki
Thought I'd chime in here since I was the one who bought the FS-4 and battery pack off of Jon. I actually didn't use the battery and fs-4 I bought from Jon, but another set just like it. Last weekend I shot the wedding on the FS-4 battery alone. It was a catholic wedding but it was short for a catholic wedding, the FS-4 ran a little over an hour. After the ceremony I plugged in the FS-4 to the battery pack, when I needed to use the FS-4 at the reception, it was fully charged, and ready to go. During the dances I didn't lug around the battery, at one point I did plug in the battery pack and shoot a couple of stationary shots while the FS-4 charged.

I probably should of had the FS-4 plugged in during the entrance, and toasts, stationary shots.

Over all the battery pack worked great. I actually bought another pack from bateryspace, it's a kit and has all you will need:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1251

The funny thing is I actually went out and bought a bike water bottle holder and attached it to my tripod leg. Yea I know it's a little tacky, but it works until I find another way to haul it around. And actually the FS-4 fits perfectly in the waterbottle holder. This is where I put the FS-4 during the ceremony, I don't use the battery pack during the ceremony because it would look horrible. With the FS-4 in the water bottle holder the camera picks up no fan noise, and I don't have to worry about clipping it on my belt.

The pyro dv drive looks interesting, but I like the assurance of a lcd screen telling me I'm recording, and how much time I have left.

The battery you have chosen is 13.2V which isn't enough for the firestore. I read in posts from focus that it needed to be 14.4 volts. If it's working then I guess it works but I don't know if the 13.2v will cause a problem with the hardware. I would contact them to verify that 13.2v is enough.

Jon

Todd Kivimaki July 28th, 2005 11:01 AM

I'm sorry Jon I linked to the wrong battery, they make a 14.4v:here's the link:
http://batteryspace.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=1261

I changed the link in my old post so anyone looking to buy one wouldn't get confused.

I do agree 100% with Jon, DTE is definatly the way to go.

Bryan Adams March 30th, 2006 05:19 PM

Firestore FS-4 Battery Solution!!!

I have found a GREAT battery solution for the Firestore products. As you know the stock battery will not last too long. I am also a still photographer and have been using DigitalCameraBattery.com products for a couple of years. Their products are superb, tank tough and just plain bulletproof.
I ordered the IBM laptop adapter from them and use my DCB80WB battery to power the Firestore. (the IBM laptop and Firestore share the same type of plug) - It lasts the entire capacity of the drive and I only have to carry one battery for my still and video needs!!!!! (it still has juice left over for flash, etc)

Just a note to all of you

Bryan Adams March 31st, 2006 07:31 AM

Follow up

I have just completed a test. I started the FS-4 with my DigitalCameraBattery hooked up at 12:10 yesterday. I actually forgot that I had started it and when I remembered at 9:40 at night it was still running and the indicator on the battery still showed green (green, yellow, red) - So needless to say, it will power this baby for a LOOOONG time.

Plus, it looks a lot better than the water bottle solution, IMHO

Joe Matyas April 19th, 2006 06:25 PM

Firestore FS-4, not enough battery for the job

As an avid FS-4 user, I have developed a portable battery pack for use with the FS-4/100. I have over 685 hours of field testing in its development. Check it out at:

http://www.powerbagjunior.com

Thanks,

joe

Todd Kivimaki April 19th, 2006 06:34 PM

Joe what is the advantage of your battery pack over the packs we are buying from battery space? It looks as though they have the same run time, but your's is over $50-$60 more.

Joe Matyas April 19th, 2006 08:58 PM

I don't know for sure of the battery packs you are referring to to make a comparison, but I can point out that the Power Bag Junior comes with a multi-functional case and has a float charger that allows the battery to be left connected to the charger with no danger of over-heating or over-charging. Connect it and forget it.

David Devoucoux May 14th, 2006 10:51 PM

FS4, Not Enough Battery

Sorry this message is coming in late....I recently found this forum...(was searching for ways to improve my FS-4!!)

I recently got a Power Bag Junior for my FS-4. Best thing I did!! The battery lasts and lasts....I have yet to run it down in a day's shooting!

I now leave the FS-4 on during a shoot and not worry about battery power.

I like the float charger to. It keeps the battery charged without worry of overcharging.....so I can run quickly when a client calls.

The over all construction is very well done....everything is in one bag that I hang from my trusty Miller wood sticks.

Now that I've solved my power issue...next up is a larger hard drive!!

BTW, I recall someone in this thread mentioned pricing. I don't think the Power Bag Junior is over-priced at all. As a pro who has well over 30 years in the business, I'm used to paying more to get better value. With Power Bag Junior...that's what I feel I got...better value.

FWIW,

Regards,

David

Dan Euritt May 15th, 2006 12:02 PM

joe matyas and david devoucoux... sounds familiar, a couple of //fast video machine guys from back in the day? i sure miss those don landis posts.