DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS-4 Pro HD - Noise in Audio and not from fan... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/472261-fs-4-pro-hd-noise-audio-not-fan.html)

Reed Gidez February 4th, 2010 03:24 PM

FS-4 Pro HD - Noise in Audio and not from fan...

I didn't find this covered anywhere so if it has already, I apologize.

I'm editing a music recital I shot a few weeks back where I recorded to both tape and FS-4Pro HD. The various instruments were mic'd and fed through my Promix 6 to a Z5U. Audio sounded fine both from the camera monitor and the mixer monitor but in the edit, I can hear a distinct high frequency buzz. It is NOT on the tape which leads me to believe there is a problem with the FS-4.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions/ideas? I'm thinking perhaps the firewire cable picked up something....?

I'll go back to the tapes for the remainder of the recitals (there are a total of 8 sessions) but that means more work.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Michael Lafleur February 22nd, 2010 09:02 AM

Audio Buzz with older DR-100 Firestore Solution

Hi Reed,

I've discovered the same issue while using my 2 DR-100's and FCS 2 several years ago. Regrettably, the only solution I've heard of thus far is to always record in an .m2t file format and then convert your .m2t files into .mov files using the wonderfully simple and effective software utility called "ClipWrap". I have been doing this successfully over the past 2 years, as have many other Firestore owners and it works like a charm.

Check out this thread and keep reading through to pages 2 & 3 to see the experiences of others.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...uzz-audio.html

Sadly, some of us did NOT have tape syncro activated and had to live with the audio buzz in our early recordings.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael

Reed Gidez February 22nd, 2010 12:52 PM

Thanks

Michael

First off, my condolences on last night's Team Canada vs. Team USA Game....

Thank you for pointing me to that other thread. Never occurred to me to look under the other model #s for the FS series. I'll give the .m2t and ClipWrap process a try since I already have ClipWrap. I am going to go back to some stuff I shot during the summer where I did NOT have this problem to see if I can isolate anything. I don't have the files on the FS anymore but I will try to playback the bad files directly through another playback option to see if it is something else.

Why would it not show up in the .m2t format? Seems to me there is something else at play. For these recitals, I had the FS unit powered via the wall wart hooked up to the house power. In the past, I have plugged the wall wart into a Black and Decker power brick to extend the life of the built-in battery and I don't think I had the problem in that scenario. I'll report back.

Reed

Michael Lafleur February 22nd, 2010 02:04 PM

Hi Again, Reed,

I too did not initially notice the high-pitched whine in the audio until I was editing and listening on studio quality headphones with little or no background noise. It was undetectable WHILE recording. My experience was that it didn’t matter whether I was on AC or DC power for the units, the audio buzz or whine was ALWAYS noticeable after the fact whenever I recorded with my JVC HD-100U and the DR-100 when capturing HDV in a .mov format and NEVER there once I switched to an m2t format. From my research many months ago and subsequent discussions with my dealer and JVC Canada, it appears the problem was inherent in the earlier generation DR-100’s unit but apparently resolved in later versions.

I can’t begin to account for the vagaries of why these issues affect one file format and not the other. There may be some further discussion on other related threads if you want to delve deeper into such mysteries…

…And on behalf of a hockey-crazed nation, thank you for your kind condolences on the Team Canada round-robin loss. With a last name like “Lafleur” (a Montreal Canadians great from the ‘70’s for the uninitiated), I am, remarkably NOT too emotionally invested in the hockey medal outcome as the rest of the world has certainly caught up to us in recent years.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. I’d talk to your dealer about some kind of complimentary software credit for a free copy of ClipWrap. I was given a free software key and credit for my troubles since the problem lay with the Firestore unit’s original design.