DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   A1 + FS CV Setup (Pics included) Opinions please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/472544-a1-fs-cv-setup-pics-included-opinions-please.html)

Alexis Vazquez February 9th, 2010 01:10 PM

A1 + FS CV Setup (Pics included) Opinions please

2 Attachment(s)
I've been strugling for some time on how/where to "hang" or put the Firestore with my XH setup, I wonder how you setup your DTE disk.

Using an external clamp could be a solution but I avoid it just afraid the panning can move the FW cable and afect recording - not that it happend but just thought of... so I decided not to. Also locating it at the hot shoe makes it too front heavy for my taste so also declined.

So I went all over my place looking for those parts I never use and try to came up with something that can (whithout spending any cent) solve my problem.
Well what do you think? I'm still working on it, I need modify the tripod plate, to have a better balance cause this DTE + cage is really heavy it bring the cam down in 1 sec. Other than that I'm pretty happy in how it ended. Looks clean. It can even be used hand held.

Well, What do you think? Please also post your solution if any.

Rob Cook February 9th, 2010 02:02 PM

I ordered this cable and it works great with my FSC-60. The right angle helps it stay in place. It don't stick out and get in the way when panning.

FireWire Up Angle DV Cable - Up Angle
6pin Male to 4pin Up Angle Male - 24"
PART# RR-CFA-64R4-24

FireWire DV Cable (Up Angle DV Cable)

Looks like a clean setup.
How did you attach the Firestore to the tripod plate, the picture is not clear.

Alexis Vazquez February 9th, 2010 02:39 PM

Thanks Rob,
It's still a work in progress. These metal bars are between the tripod plate and the cam, like a sandwich. Thats the part I still need to work, I'm planning on taking it to a friend's workshop and modify it in a more permanent/stable/efficient way. I post more as soon as I finish...if I, LOL.

How are you attaching the Firestore to the Tripod? I have 4 cams and I doubt I'll be doing this on all of them.

Cheers,
Alex

Rob Cook February 9th, 2010 06:51 PM

I just use this in the shoe, work's ok.

Manfrotto | 482LCD Micro Ball Head with Flash Shoe Mount

Rob Cook February 9th, 2010 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo-

Alexis Vazquez February 9th, 2010 07:06 PM

Thanks Rob, I guess thats the way to go. Hey I have a brand new extended battery for that model If you need it I post ad in the Classified section, just let me know.

Alexis

Rob Cook February 9th, 2010 07:57 PM

The Manfrotto thumb wheel that makes it tight on the shoe is so small that it is hard to get it secure on the camera. I would look at B&H Photo and find a different ball head adapter.

I just purchased a new large battery, thanks.

Dave Stern February 9th, 2010 10:05 PM

I use the bracket1 on my A1 .. to attach the FS-5 I took the heavy handle bracket from the supplied firestore holder off, so I was left just with the part that goes around the firestore. I then drilled two holes in the side of the firestore bracket and bolted that to the bracket1 (small bolts) so that the face of the firestore faces me while I am shooting. I positioned the firestore bracket so that the unit is entirely within the profile of the bracket1 (e.g. not sticking above or below it), and it doesn't block any switches or the XLR inputs, etc.

The firestore is exactly perpendicular to my A1 and sticks off of it to the right so I can see everything it's doing while I am shooting. This was important to me (mostly because it's new and I didn't want to make a mistake and not record), but I really wanted to be able to see it while it's working (rather than the handle mount which the FS5 would face the sky). Also that handle clamp is well machined but very heavy .. too much so for my taste other than for clamping it to a tripod leg for example.

I'll post a pic when I can.

Rob Cook February 10th, 2010 01:34 AM

Dave, I would like to see that set up, I also have the bracket1, but I had the FSC on the side and I could not see it.

Dave Stern February 10th, 2010 10:04 AM

Rob I'll post the pics when I can do it ... (will try soon) .. the key was that I drilled the holes in the firestore bracket on the left side of the bracket (as you face your unit in the bracket) where it wraps around the unit .. and it's the left side of the firestore bracket that connects to the bracket1 .. the back of the firestore bracket would have been a little easier as it provides more surface area, but then I could not see the unit .. so I drilled the holes in the firestore bracket on the side as far apart as I could without compromising the physical integrity of that side of the bracket ... (two holes, diagonally positioned)

I was planning to also install a bracket to attach the top of the firestore bracket to the bracket1, however it seems that the work I did was strong enough, and an additional bracket would not have been clean looking at all ..

sorry, difficult to explain in text .. I'll try to post pics