fs-4 free run tapless timecode xl2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 27th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

talking with firestore tech-support

In checking in with the focus enhancements support line, I was turned on to page 18 of the firestore4 Pro manual. There it describes setting up the drive in Sync Slave mode. This gets me part way there on the code situation. Inflipping through the different display options to 'DV NTSC' instead of 'COUNTER' the code on the screen for each clip is the camera exported FREE-RUN.

AND YET, I still am not getting this time-code printed on the firestore clips when I bring them into the NLE(FCP4).

This is where we are so far, the folks at Focus are delving into it, I think it might be ironed out within the next week.

how blissfully exciting.
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #17
Major Player

did this ever get worked out?

free run time code on tape and matched on fs4 clips?

- shannonrawls.com
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #18
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Daniel Kohl
Another problem I have found is getting the power up order right. If I power up the FS-4 before I power up the camera the SYNC SLAVE won't work immediately, I have to reboot the FS-4 (costing even more time). But this may just be a problem with my unit (I have abused it through testing and modifications).[/QUOTE]

Hmm, on my Xl2, I have to have the FS-4 Pro on and recycle power on the XL2 to get the FS-4 Pro to record. Something their manual and tech support weren't aware of.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #19
Contributor

I have to do this with my recently bought FS-4 Pro (which is new and not abused) together with the XL-1s and the XL-2. So this may be an issue with some (or all?) FS-4 units.

I wonder if other people are having similar problems.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #20
Trustee

i have seen these weird boot issues also... if you are getting the "dv if" display in the viewfinder, what i've seen is that you typically do not have to reboot the fs-4, just hit the power-down button on the xl1s... using the button keeps you from wearing out the big rotary switch on the side of the camera.

what i've been seeing lately is that the fs-4 needs to be fully booted up before the xl1s is fired up.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #21
Contributor

I just read back over my original quoted entry. I think that I was groping in the dark at the time, trying to remember which power-up order was right.

My recent experience agrees with what Dan Euritt is suggesting. Power the XL- up and then the FS-4. If the XL- is on when before the FS-4 is booted (like when you are using the XL- to compose a shot and you turn the FS-4 off to save battery) then use the STANDBY button on the XL- to power down and then power up again after the FS-4 is fully booted. It's too bad that it's not "plug and play" (more like plug and pray) but this seems to work.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #22
Stembridge

Do you have a picture of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
I also modified a four pin FW cable to fit behind the trigger on the XL-1s's grip.

I used hot glue to create a large surfaced connector which grips into the hole for the flash adapter.

Another thing that prevents the FS-4 from completely replacing tape is it's boot up time from when it is off to when it starts recording. This can mean missing a shot on the FS-4 that you would have gotten if you were shooting to tape as well.

Another problem I have found is getting the power up order right. If I power up the FS-4 before I power up the camera the SYNC SLAVE won't work immediately, I have to reboot the FS-4 (costing even more time). But this may just be a problem with my unit (I have abused it through testing and modifications).
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hmm, on my Xl2, I have to have the FS-4 Pro on and recycle power on the XL2 to get the FS-4 Pro to record. Something their manual and tech support weren't aware of.

The note is now in their FAQ.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stembridge
Do you have a picture of this?
Here are some pictures.

http://www.marq5.de/FS-4.html

Cheers,

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #25
Stembridge

Is it tricky to do the right angle modification? The pictures look like this would be a good option; looks pretty clean at the end. Have you taken any pix doing the process by chance?
I have acytally not gutted a firewire cable before. Is something better done by a very expeienced person?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
Here are some pictures.

http://www.marq5.de/FS-4.html

Cheers,
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #26
Contributor

Hi,

It is not much more tricky to gut a FW cable than it is any other cable.

...The contacts are just very small so you have to use a sharp soldering iron when you reconnect the wires.

I did the operation quite a while ago so I don't remember the specific problems I ran into. I think I managed to remove the plastic casing from the 4 pin plug without ripping the wires out, so I didn't have to remember which wire went where. It was more difficult bending the outer hard shield to a right angle without it breaking. That is also not such a problem, though, because the shielding can be removed from the inner core where the small contacts are, and you can work on it without risking doing damage to the more delicate stuff.

I didn't take pictures of every step - but I think if you have any experience with tinkering with electronic stuff and soldering, you shouldn't have a problem figuring it out... I'm no engineer.

Frankenstein meets XL1

Last edited by Daniel Kohl; November 30th, 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore