Can the FS-5 record 30p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can the FS-5 record 30p?

I've been trying to get my Focus Enhancements FS-5 to record 30p. It records fine when I shoot 60i but would prefer 30p. However, when I set my camera for 30p, the FS-5 display gets wonky (blinks off and on). I'm afraid it will not play nicely at 30p as a limitation rather than just a lack of setting. Hope springs eternal and maybe someone at DVINFO might help.

My camera is a Sony HVR-Z5u.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Burckhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Isn't the Z5U AVCHD? If so I think that is your problem. The FS-5 is for HDV I think....
Kyle Trambaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Are you trying to record in Quicktime?

Try setting the FS-5 to M2T.

The FS-5 does not record QT with 1080/30 or 1080/24 -- only 1080/60.
Jonas Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Kyle, thanks for the reply but, no, the Sony HVR-Z5U is HDV not AVCHD. I shoot with the Focus Enhancements DTE to provide for a file-based workflow and use the tape as backup and archiving.

Jonas, thanks for the suggestion but, again, I use the DTE to create QuickTime files that work directly in my edit software. The M2T requires a separate and external transcoding that takes times and is spotty using Slip Stream and other transcoding applications.

I know the HVR-Z5U shoots 1080i natively but does have a progressive recording ability to tape. I can only assume that this ability is exclusively in the stream between the image processing and tape and not in-line between the image processing and output (the USB connection) to the DTE.

Dave
Dave Burckhard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore