Okay, I've had it with the MR-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Okay, I've had it with the MR-HD100

What a piece of junk. Every time I boot it up it does some other squirrrely thing or another, I can't access the files...no one at FE can tell me anything...basically $1,500 down the tubes and I'm back to tape.
Has _anybody_ else used this with a JVC GY-HD-200 and NOT had problems?
Michael Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #2
New Boot

Sorry to hear you are having such bad luck with a great product.

Our production house has been using Focus products since the FS-4 arrived in 2005. We currently have a JVC-GYHD200 camera and used both the DR-HD and MR-HD units without issue. We shoot 720/60 in the Quicktime format. Never had issues copying to external harddrives. Have you checked the permissions?

Without more detail to your EXTACT issues and any info on your unit (how old is it?, did it ever work correctly?, is this a new problem?, etc) I'm not sure what help to offer.

As for 16x9 issues -- the DR-HD records the FireWire signal sent by the camera -- there is no setting on the unit for 16x9 or 4:3. Check the setting in your camera. What format are you using? (QT?, AVI 2?) Are you setting up the timeline correctly in Final Cut Pro or whatever NLE you use?

While I understand the need rant, please try providing more details and information if you can. If would help in narrowing down your issues.
Jonas Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for getting back to me

Basically, I am unable to copy my video files from the MR-HD100. It gets to about +/- 500MB and freezes up, locking up both the drive and my MacBook Pro (v. 10.5.8, FCP Studio 7) This is a new unit (purchased this spring), and I have sent it back to FE, and they said it was working fine.
Two trips to the Mac store and five of their laptops later, the problem was duplicated.
I've been recording Quicktime, standard def, my camera settings are 16x9. I'm able to go clip by clip (the ones I can import) one by one and switch them to 16x9, but they come out of the drive 4x3.
I've tried importing the .xml file as per the manual, I've tried copying and pasting (which was recommended by FE tech support), both en masse and one at a time.
I see the files on the drive and can play them there, but accessing them so that they live on my hard drive (LaCie Rugged 500GB) doesn't happen.
I get this prompt: "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."
It, just now, locked up at 621.9 MB, ejected the drive, and only copied 7 of the 11 files. I have to force quit Finder, and power the drive down to exit HDD Bypass mode.
BTW, my drive version is 2.0.1.07060510.
Thanks again.
Michael Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Strange it stops around 500-600MB.
About the 4:3 instead of 16:9. Standard definition IS 4:3. If you record 16:9 it stretches the two black bands, to use as much pixels as possible. And that happens in the camera. The FireWire drive just records whats on the cable from the camera.

The error you are describing I also had when my drive settings were messed up.
Have you tried disk utility already with 'verify disk permissions'?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore