DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   recorded tapes into the fs4???? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/48605-recorded-tapes-into-fs4.html)

Bruce S. Yarock July 31st, 2005 09:47 AM

recorded tapes into the fs4????

I just got my fs4, and spent this morning putting it through it's paces. What a luxury not having to sit there and capture in real time!
Here's my question.How can I record my footage that's already on tape, to the fs4?(So that I can transfer the clips from the fs4 to the pc). I spoke to someone in customer service on Friday,and she said that was no problem.She said you put the camera in vcr mode and record to the fs4. I tried it in both manual and sync-slave modes and got nothing.
Anybody done this?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Mark A. Foley July 31st, 2005 11:53 AM

I'm missing something...why do you need to transfer from tape to the FS-4 to then transfer to the PC...just to see if you can do it?

Bruce S. Yarock July 31st, 2005 12:08 PM

Mark,
Basically here's my situation. I have lots of footage that I want to catalogue:some for later editing, and some to just slap together a quick dvd.I don't really have the time to be capturing all this stuff in real time, so I thought that if I could transfer it to the fs4, then just copy the stuff(that I want) as avi's, it would be a lot quicker.
On the manual recording setting on the fs4, you can hit "record" twice, and supposedly it creates a new clip, but keeps capturing.
I'll be happy to use it for shooting and transferring from now on...I just thought that if I could do what I asked about, It would give me an extra added benefit.
thanks
Bruce yarock

Michael Westphal August 1st, 2005 08:42 PM

Looking at FS4 for the same reason

Bruce,
I have the same need but haven't yet purchased a FS-4. In fact, buying one is absolutely contingent upon this working well. I have too much footage to load and am having a hard time tying up my computer to log/load all the tapes. Can't edit when loading tapes...

I downloaded a manual and it looks easy enough. You put the FS-4 in manual record mode, fire up the Camera in VCR mode, hit record on the FS-4 and hit Play on the camera...

Bruce S. Yarock August 2nd, 2005 04:23 AM

Michael,
You're right. I figured it out yesterday. Just put it in manual, hit "record", and then "play" on the camera's vcr. you can also split uo longer clips into shorter avi's by pushing the 'record" button on the fs4 while recording. It creates anew clip, but doesn't stop recording.What a great piece of gear(though not cheap).
I'm planning to call customer service tommorrow and ask about future updates for HD.
Bruce S. Yarock

Daniel Kohl August 2nd, 2005 04:26 AM

I have been able to do this with my FS-4.

It was for a situation, in which I had to get footage that was on tape onto the FS-4, because I missed getting a few shots on the FS-4. (The FS-4 was off and a situation developed very quickly) This is an example of the type of situation which makes having a tape in the camera while recording to the FS-4 advisable.

When the shot was finished, I rewound my XL-1s to the beginning of the missed shots, in VTR mode on the XL-1s. I put the FS-4 into LOCAL mode, pushed play on the XL-1s and pushed the REC key on the FS-4. The FS-4 created a new clip with the played footage. - You have to make sure that you push the STOP key twice at the end of the recording session, otherwise the clip won't be finalized. (Maybe that was you problem Bruce).-

Also pushing the REC key while recording in this way, should cause the FS-4 to create new clips from the played footage.

Let us know if your FS-4 still doesn't do this.

Bruce S. Yarock August 2nd, 2005 04:39 AM

Daniel,
You said
<You have to make sure that you push the STOP key twice at the end of the recording session, otherwise the clip won't be finalized. >
I didn't see anything about this in the manual...is there a reference?I've only had the fs4 for 2 days , and did some quick tests with it. I shot a few quick clips in slave mode, and then transfered them to the pc. I didn't press the stop key twice, and the clips look fine. Am I missing something? Why do the clips need finalizing, and what happens if you don't do this? Does it have to do with the recording mode("slave" or "local")?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Daniel Kohl August 2nd, 2005 05:07 AM

Hi Bruce,

This is "kind" of a bug with the FS-4. You only have to do this when recording in LOCAL mode.

If you will notice, while recording in LOCAL mode that after pushing the stop key, there appears a pause (two lines) symbol next to the recording (dot) symbol in the upper left of the LCD. Only after pushing the stop key, again, does that "pause" symbol turn to a stop (square) symbol.

Don't ask me why this is. I think it's stupid. Maybe it has something to do with patents - I don't know ... I don't know. But if you turn the unit off before having ended the recording completely, the last clip may be corrupted.

This has been my experience. Please try it, Bruce, I would be very happy to hear that this is, in fact, not the case. I am using one of the very first release models of the FS-4, and I have my suspicions that it may even be a left-over from the beta testing program.

This corrupted clip problem doesn't happen in SYNCRO/SLAVE mode because pushing the start/stop button on your camera ends the recording session completely.

Cheers,