DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Canon GL1 and fs4? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/48790-canon-gl1-fs4.html)

Bruce S. Yarock August 3rd, 2005 06:40 PM

Canon GL1 and fs4?

My main camera is the XL@, but I wanted to use the GL1 to transfer tapes to the FS4. I tried but got a distorted looking clip, with tiling and balck bars across the lcd. I then playe dthe clip back from the fs4,and got the same thing.
Anyone using the FS4 with the GL1?
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock

Zack Birlew August 3rd, 2005 11:15 PM

Sounds like you need to run a cleaning tape through your GL1. Maybe your XL1 too just to be safe. Also, why are you putting the tape footage into your FS4? I thought the point was to directly record to the FS4 itself. ~_^

Bruce S. Yarock August 4th, 2005 05:48 AM

Jack,
I'll try the cleaning tape, but I don't think that's the problem. I haven't had any problems with the GL1 by itself, only when I tried to use it with the FS4.
The tape question- I have lots of footge that I've already shot aon tape, and it's a lot quicker to tranfer it to the fs4 and then to the PC, rather than capture in real time .
thanks
Bruce S. Yarock

Stephen Finton August 4th, 2005 07:28 AM

Will the GL1 play back 24p recordings?

Daniel Kohl August 4th, 2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
I have lots of footge that I've already shot aon tape, and it's a lot quicker to tranfer it to the fs4 and then to the PC, rather than capture in real time .
thanks
Bruce S. Yarock

This sounds very strange. Transferring to the FS-4 should take just as long as capturing to a computer.

Do you mean it is easier to hit record on the FS-4 than starting your capture software and then hitting record on that?

The FS-4 can only capture from tape in real time, just like capture software.

Please clarify how you intend or are attempting to capture to the FS-4 in faster than real time.

Bruce S. Yarock August 4th, 2005 09:52 AM

Daniel,

The difference is that using the FS4, you can let the tape run and hit record every time you want to split it into separate clips without stopping the recording. Also, it's lightning fast transferring the clips from the FS4 to the computer, as opposed to capturing in real time.

Thanks for the post.

Bruce Yarock

Daniel Kohl August 4th, 2005 11:53 AM

Hi Bruce,

I don't want to take this thread too far off it's original topic. But I would like to make one last comment about your workflow using the FS-4 as a capture/transfer medium for tapes.

There are a few DV capture programs out there that recognize time/date breaks on the taped material. These programs (like FCP3 and up), make it possible to capture an entire tape in one run through, and then divide the clip into portions based on the date/time breaks. I just want to suggest this as a possibly more time effective method for capturing longer tape sessions, than what I think you are suggesting with the FS-4.

I'm probably not picturing how you work properly, but it sounds to me like you are sitting next to the FS-4 while it is capturing, in order to make clip breaks on the fly.

Bruce S. Yarock August 4th, 2005 05:12 PM

daniel,
You are probably right.I haven't done much transfering, and will most likely just capture some of the older tapes.One thing I did today, for example,is that I had some footage of a political commercial we did which was on Fox news and Msnbc. We recorded the two shows on the cable dvr( digital video recorder), and then ran thr cable box into my XL2. right after, I recorded the footage to the fs4.Took the fs4 and dumped it to the pc...6 gigs in 5 minutes.
Hopefully, I'll be able to use it more for real shooting and dumping to the pc.
thanks for your ideas.
Bruce S.Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock August 4th, 2005 07:36 PM

Stephan,
the GL1 will playback anything shot on the xl2. The problem I had was between the GL1 and the FS4.
Bruce S. Yarock

Daniel Kohl August 5th, 2005 02:06 AM

Bruce,

I'm not familiar with the GL1 specifically, but there shouldn't be any possibility for a conflict between the FS-4 and the GL1. There is no reason for them to "communicate", so there shouldn't be any direct incompatibility. The FS-4 is acting like a simple (dumb) recorder, in the application you have described. I would guess that there might be an issue with either the GL1's DV out or the FS-4's FW in. Have you tried to do a tape to tape transfer via the i-link on the GL1? Does your FS-4 record well from the XL-2, or other DV cameras?

Bruce S. Yarock August 5th, 2005 03:22 AM

Daniel,
I've never had any trouble with the GL1, either capturing via firwwire, or playback of any tape. When I hooked it up to the fs4, evrything went berserk. The image in the GL1 lcd,both while capturing and in playback, was 'tiling" and had black bars across the screen. Then, even crazier, when I dissconected it from the FS4 and played the same tape back, the gl1 was still freaking out! I shut down the camera, took the tape out,put it back in, and powered it up. At that point, it played fine...
Someone suggested using a cleaning tape on the GL1. One thing for sure was that I was using the wrong file type for Premiere (used avi 1...premiere needs avi 2), but I can't se how that would cause the problem.
Bruce S. yarock

Daniel Kohl August 5th, 2005 03:44 AM

It sounds to me like something might be wacky with the GL1's i-link port.

In order to rule out that it has something to do with the FS-4, see what happens when you connect another device to the GL1's i-link, like the XL-2.

Try playing footage from the XL-2 and recording it on your GL1 via i-link. If that works without a problem, then there could indeed be an issue with the FS-4 together with the GL1.

Bruce S. Yarock August 5th, 2005 03:47 AM

I'll try that.I did speak to Amanda in custmer service at focus, and she said that the GL2 definately works, but that she had heard that there were issues with the GL1.
Bruce S. Yarock

Matt McEwen August 5th, 2005 10:03 AM

Hi Bruce,

I don't know of any specific problem with the GL1...especially for what you are trying to do. I have used a GL1 and FS-4 in a live camera situation and all was OK, although I have not tried it using tape playback. I would check the FireWire interface between the two devices is working properly.

I'll have our lab check it out with our GL1 shortly.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Matt McEwen August 5th, 2005 10:08 AM

...they just checked it and it worked fine.

Is the 4-pin FireWire port on the GL1 seem OK (the 4-pin connector can be damaged quite easily in my experience)? Can you capture to an NLE from the camcorder? Does the FS-4 work OK with the XL2? Try connecting the GL1 and FS-4 and if it does not communicate, trying unplugging and replugging the FireWire cable. Does your unit have the latest firmware (1.0.1)? You can get it at the Focus support site.

Thanks,

Matt