DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Firestore FS-5 mounted on a Bracket1 (photos) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/487929-firestore-fs-5-mounted-bracket1-photos.html)

Dave Stern November 23rd, 2010 11:27 AM

Firestore FS-5 mounted on a Bracket1 (photos)

5 Attachment(s)
hi all - a while back there had been some discussion of various mounting options for firestore .. I had mentioned that I modified the bracket included with the firestore and had attached it to a bracket1 and use that with my camera. well I finally took a few photos of the setup and have included them here for any interested.

so far, the setup as worked quite well for me - I like being able to see the FS-5 display while it's running to ensure it's recording (overly paranoid). (and eventhough it's not the canon model of FS, the canon still knows enough to show it's recording on the camera monitor so that helps).

I was initially planning to secure the firestore bracket to the bracket1 in two locations, both at the bottom of the FS bracket and at the top. however, I used 2 bolts at the bottom location (see photo) and found this to be very sufficient. Since I would have had to use an unsightly bracket on the top to attach the two parts together, I opted to see how well it would work without that and add it only if I needed it, and haven't had to yet. And, I think the bracket1 is lighter than that really heavy bracket on the firestore mount. I considered mounting the firestore bracket the 'flatter' way onto the bracket1, which would have been very secure and a more narrow profile for the whole rig, but I just didn't like not being able to see the display.

drilling through the firestore bracket was easy (I might have used one of those titanium bits) and I did not remove the foam padding on the inside of the FS bracket before drilling (I tired a little but the glue was too strong and it would have ripped the foam). I secured the bolts very tightly including having the padding between the bolt head and the bracket, but it does not wobble at all. I can't remember, but I may have had to drill 1 new hole (or 2?) in the bracket 1 to match. I offset the holes in the firestore bracket on a diagonal to provide both vertical and horizontal control and support.

note I use this bracket1 setup on both the (dvtec) multirig pro as well as from the tripod.

hope this helps someone!

(and, you'll see from the photos that I wasn't able to use my mike shock mount that day due to a missing part!! :-( .. but even with the shotgun mike with wind jammer, the setup works fine - I haven't noticed any noise from the proximity of the FS to the mike).

Guy Cochran November 23rd, 2010 01:27 PM

Nice set-up! I dig the Varizoom right there at your finger tips - that's slick - and the one thing I really miss when shooting with DSLR's. Do you have a spot to mount a wireless too?

Dave Stern November 23rd, 2010 10:31 PM

hi Guy ... I wasn't using the wireless sunday but when I use it, I tend to clip it to the side of my belt (ATW1800) and run the wires up to the camera, mostly to keep mass off of the camera where possible since it's heavy enough as-is, and this way the antennas are still vertical .. the wireless is very light, but I figure I don't need it on the camera rig as long as I'm careful not to walk away from the camera while connected!!

and funny enough, before I modded the bracket1, I did put the wireless on it on an occasion or two since that's what I bought it for, but now that the firestore stole that spot, I changed my approach.

(and what I really enjoy about the multirig is that with that stabilizer bar I can easily get a very low perspective very quickly and the bar will still hold more than enough of the mass to let me do that no problem, and with the external monitor I can still see what I am shooting, so I figure having the wireless off the rig can't hurt)

Wayne Starick November 21st, 2012 04:41 AM

Re: Firestore FS-5 mounted on a Bracket1 (photos)

Speaking of Bracket 1...

About 3 years ago I bought a Bracket 1 mounting system for my rig.

A couple of weeks ago on a shoot I lost one of the small screws that attaches the cold shoe to the bracket system ( my own fault for not securing the screws with Lok-tite or something similar).

I emailed them asking if I could purchase replacements, only to have David Sousa offer to post a replacement plus spares at no charge - from the US to Oz. Today a letter arrived with 4 replacement screws arrived.

How good is that? Not only does the company produce an excellent product but they back this up with amazing customer service!

Guy Cochran November 21st, 2012 01:53 PM

Re: Firestore FS-5 mounted on a Bracket1 (photos)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Starick (Post 1764427)
Speaking of Bracket 1...

About 3 years ago I bought a Bracket 1 mounting system for my rig.

A couple of weeks ago on a shoot I lost one of the small screws that attaches the cold shoe to the bracket system ( my own fault for not securing the screws with Lok-tite or something similar).

I emailed them asking if I could purchase replacements, only to have David Sousa offer to post a replacement plus spares at no charge - from the US to Oz. Today a letter arrived with 4 replacement screws arrived.

How good is that? Not only does the company produce an excellent product but they back this up with amazing customer service!

Thanks for sharing. That's so cool to here that a company goes the extra mile!