Firewire from camera to Firestore and DVD recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 17th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Firewire from camera to Firestore and DVD recorder

I have a request for Firewire output from my DV camera 4 pin port to my DR-HD100 Firestore and the client's DVD recorder. The Firestores and the DVD recorders do no have looping connections.

I have been testing with a BELKIN F5U526-APL-S 6 Port powered Firewire hub but have not found a repeatable connect/start sequence to record to two Firestore recorders in Local control. They eventually start and will keep recording as long as neither is stopped. Stopping one stops the other and restarting may or may not require a complete power down, reconnect and restart.

I have not tested with the client's DVD recorders, but expect them to act a lot like the Firestores.

Is there a reliable, repeatable setup to feed Firewire to 2 recorders?
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Firewire from camera to Firestore and DVD recorder

Firewire is based on a "handshake-type" protocol where device 2 is controlled by device 1 and vice versa. A typical example is a camera/recorder combination - camera will prompt the recorder to start; stopping the recording on the recorder will signal back to the camcorder that recording has stopped.

So while you may achieve signal flow in one direction - e.g. make two recorders record the video from one camcorder, it is highly unlikely that adding a second recorder will result in a reliable setup.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore