Firestore Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old September 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Firestore Questions

So if I shoot my video to Firestore and then connect to my computer, then the footage does not need to go to my computer's harddrive? so you can edit video with a smaller harddrive or less harddrive space. Is this correct.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Major Player

You can edit right from the Firestore, yes.
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Major Player

what is a "realistic price" for a 40GB one of these? Ive seen anywhere from about $500 to over $1100 for these. Im sure some of these can't be legit. Thanks.
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Different prices for different versions. The basic FS-4 retails for $750 while the pro version FS-4 retails for $1200. Differences between the two are listed at http://www.focusinfo.com/products/datasheets/FS-4DS.pdf -- a $500 price is probably for the older FS-1, it is a bridge only, no drive included.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, now that I am starting to understand this......wouldn't this mean that if you have only a "decent" laptop, that this would give that laptop the advantage of "freedom" to do its job better (since it's own harddrive is not being used to store the footage) as long as that laptop has a decent processor. In other words....Not only is the Firestore convienent, but it also gives you more power (so to speak) at the editing computer. Wouldn't this be correct? I mean you are now keeping all of that computer harddrive free....so won't the computer work faster and better in most cases? I may be totally misunderstanding all of what goes on in a computer when editing though because I'm not sure if the "working progress" footage goes to the computer harddrive as you create what will be the finished product. Thanks so much for your help. Please help me understand this.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

When editing video on a computer, it's always a good idea to have the computer's operating system plus the editing software on one drive, and the video itself on another. So in your case with a laptop, yes using the FireStore as an editing deck will ease the strain on the laptop's hard drive.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #7
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

FireStore FS-4 is a fantastic product. You can edit directly from it, or copy the files to your hard drive. When copying, the data moves at the speed of data - unlike capturing video which takes an hour to capture an hour.

There are currently 4 flavors of FireStore available

FS4 w/ 40GB drive $749.95
FS4 Pro w/ 40GB $1195
FS4 Pro w/ 80 GB drive $1595

Pro versions add support for Avid & Pinnacle file systems. We are running several promotions with field kits. The Field kit gives you an extra battery and a mounting bracket.

For more info on FireStore check out http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

Don't forget your DVinfoNet 5% discount!!

Gary
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Major Player

You can edit directly from the firestore, but I see a significant hit in performance when doing so. A lot of time is spent I/O bound, and not as much time is compute bound. Thus meaning longer render/wait times. Take a look at your Performance monitor in the Windows Task Monitor (if you are using a PC) here you can monitor the CPU(s) usage. If the CPU usage is not at 100% then you are being slowed down by I/O (writing to the hard drive).

You won't increase "editing power" when using the firestore, it will actually be slower, but you won't take up your computer’s hard drive space.
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks todd,
I'm wondering, does the computers proccessor have to do with outbound/inbound speeds. This may be a silly question. Anyway if you have a really fast (say maybe 3.0mhz or higher) proccessor would this help or does it not help o/i stuff.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

would love to use a firestore for recording hdv material. Sad that it is not yet quicktime compatible. at ibc they said they were working on it...
Just did a production with 25 tapes......1hr each......so at least two days of capturing time with fcp........
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Ok, here is my goal. I spend a lot of time in hotels with my job, and I want to work with DV as a fairly serious hobbiest with my spare time. I want to get a pretty good laptop with decent sized harddrive and put some good editing software on there and also add some music creation sofware...maybe even some other software, (so in other words...I'm using up the harddrive space already!) Then get the "firestore" to actually edit the video footage from. So, with all this extra software that I want to have, is this plan on its way to disaster? Is all this too much to expect from a laptop. It doesn't have to be the fastest machine, just a capable one. Turnkey is not an option because I also want to use the wireless web and other traditional laptop uses. Maybe I'm wanting too much here? Thanks.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Your processor speed doesn't really matter when it comes to writing to disk.

The thread (editing program) will call the processor when it has a compute bound job. The thread will use the processor for its quantum ( its allotted amount of time) If in-between this time, the thread needs to write to disk, the process will become blocked (state 5 in a windows machine) during this blocked time the processor is not working but waiting for the disk to complete its job. If you are slowed down at this point it doesn't matter if you have the best processor available because it is not doing anything but waiting for the disk to finish.

I am doing quite a bit of editing on a laptop, which happens to be 10 months old. It's a P4 3.0ghz, with 512 ram. I have upgraded the hard drive to a 7200 rpm drive (from a 4200rpm drive), and have noticed better overall system performance. I have noticed less time is spent waiting on the hard drive, and better render times.

How much footage are you editing? I shoot home tours and am only working with about 10 minutes of footage max, I really wouldn't want to edit a couple of hours worth of footage on my laptop, it would be doable but I am spoiled with a fast desktop, it’s hard to go from fast to slow.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:20 AM   #13
Major Player

Todd, you are helpin' me out here more than you'll ever know. Thankyou. So if I want to improve the I/O times....I should get the fastest hard drive "rpms" as I can. Is that correct?
How much footage am I going to work with? Well I not sure but I could probably fit about three hours of video on to a Firestore. and then shoot for a "final product" of about one hour or so. For as little experience as I have in this stuff, I am pretty ambitious about special effects like compositing and forced perspectives (i have only read about this stuff so far). I just think all this DV stuff is so cool, I feel like a kid again and I can't wait to dig in...but I don't have time at home to fool with it because I need to spend that time with my family and my share of the chores. This is why I want to make sure I can do everything I'm wanting to do with DV on a laptop. I will make DVDs of my family that will completely knock their socks off!!! I want to make a Feature-Film like production starring my family members complete with a storyline and some most excellent special effects.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Yes that's correct. It's a Hitachi Travelstar Drive, I picked up a 60 gig, which serves me fine, sounds like you would benefit better from the 100gig version. I think Seagate makes 7200 rpm laptop drives as well. They aren't the easiest thing to get, supply always seems to be low.

I think you would be fine if you got a nice high end laptop, probably wouldn't have to be the best of the best either. Anything you buy today should be able to handle it (non-celeron) render times will be longer with a slower processor. If you had to choose (money wise) between a faster processor or a faster hard drive, definatly go with the faster hard drive. Lots of memory helps too.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:34 AM   #15
Contributor

Just one comment here.

"Render time" keep being mentioned here. But strictly speaking, editing - that is to say rough cutting (that which takes the most creative time, in my opinion), does not require much, if any rendering with most modern EDL systems. A laptop with a FS4 would be ideal for rough cutting, or sorting material in the field. The post production and polishing should be done on a more powerful machine for the most gratification.

So I think that the I/O issue maybe not such an issue if you are planning this set-up for anything other than end production.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore