Firestore and HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Firestore and HDV

I've been doing endless research on a DTE solution for HDV. Currently, there are only 2 models that I've seen (not yet used) that will natively talk to the HDV codec:

- Focus Enchancements is making an HDV version of the FS-4, which is supposed to be released at the end of this month. There are 2 versions; Ver 1 is the "standard" consumer model with a silver case. Ver 2 is OEM branded for JVC, has a black case and has additional menu items not found on version 1. Both versions will work on any *current* HDV camera.

For my upcoming project I was going to use the JVC GY-HD100 and the JVC DTE drive (Firestore) but project requirements dictated I change the camera to the Sony Z1. I still plan to use the Firestore DTE drive, Ver 2 (JVC OEM) on the Sony.

- Shining Tech is producing the Citidisk HDV but based on the only information on it I wouldn't trust the unit. The pre-production models look cheaply made, have no built-in screens to access menus (if there are any) and 2 calls to the company to get further info on the unit was useless, as they seemed confused about their own product capabilities.

I've ordered the Firestore HDV DTE solution and will report back once I've shot with it.

Last edited by Robert Lane; October 18th, 2005 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typos
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Contributor

Thanks Robert,

I for one am looking forward to your reports.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:12 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Update

The Firestore Ver 2 (JVC OEM version) is having issues with the firmware and has been delayed another 15-30 days - this is the version I originally had on order. Instead, I'm now ordering Version 1 which is the "standard" HDV compatible model, which started shipping to retailers last Friday 10-21-05.

I've ordered the 80GB version, and if anyone else is interested in the same drive the Focus Enhancements part number is: ASYF-0927-01, "FS-4 Pro HD".

I should have my drive this coming week and will report back on it's operation.
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Trustee

Robert, keep in touch and let us know what you will be editing on and what NLE you will be using. I'm searching for folks using FS4 HD Pro model with Avid Xpress ProHD.

I am hearing those with these devices cannot import m2t files into FCP. (Finally a kink in the FCP exterior shows it's ugly head) FCP is a great thing for Mac folks. I bet the last 2 years on Avid however and am still waiting to be able to fully use it with the new JVC camera we bought.

If the FS4 HD Pro will allow us to use the DTE workflow, that would be easier than using the BR-HD50 deck we are having no luck with.

Looking forward to your updates.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Trustee

Anything new to report?

Still wondering about the JVC OEM version of the FS4.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore