Powering the FS-4 recorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 4th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Powering the FS-4 recorders

Not long after I acquired my DSR500 WSP camcorder , a friend offered me a load of accessories which he no longer used - these included a number of PAG L95 batteries ( PAGLOK version ) but with the V lock adaptor to allow them to be used on my camera , charger , some radiomic kit ( Sennheisser 3000 series ) , and last but not least three FS-4 Pro HD recorders .

Now the three Firestore recorders came with mains adapter/chargers , but the onboard batteries don't hold much of a charge and , as far as I can tell , replacements are no longer available - unless someone on here knows better ?

The recorders all work fine - one ( in a black case ) is a genuine FS4 HD unit with something in excess of 300 mins record time capacity , and the other two ( in silver cases ) are standard FS-4 units which have had the software upgrades so that they function as FS-4 HD units , but only have around 170 min capacity - I've had a look inside and read up on here so know that fitting larger hard drives for extra capacity would be straightforward enough .

Besides the mains adapters , I got a 4pin Hirose to 2.5mm coaxial dc cable , which my friend told me I could use to power the Firestores from my camera , rather than being tied to mains power . The first time I tried to do this , the FS-4 worked for about 15 mins then gave the low battery alarm , so I had to switch it off - fortunately I was running tape as well ( not yet being confident in these units ) so the job wasn't compromised . On investigation afterwards , there was no output from the cable and , metering through the cable , there was no continuity . I presumed I had a duff cable and never bothered about it for a while since I was either recording conferences from a static position and therefore running off mains power wasn't a problem , or just doing short bits & pieces outside when I would shoot on tape , either with the DSR 500 , or more often , with my HVR V1e .

However , just recently I felt I ought to sort this out , so I blew £40 ordering a Hawk-Woods LA23 cable from CVP , fully expecting that to work - only it didn't :( This new cable meters through correctly , which the older one doesn't - so the earlier cable was indeed faulty , but , metering the pins on the 4 pin Hirose dc output connector on the back of my camera , there is no measurable 12V output - so it looks as though I have/had two faults ! I just found this out tonight , and going through the DSR500 manual I can see no menu or switching option to enable/disable the rear 12V output . I do have the onboard radiomic receiver case which is working with power from the camera , and don't suppose this disables the Hirose socket ? I might try removing the WRR box to see if it makes any difference . I have also checked the breaker button on the underside of the camera , but I presume this would trip the whole camera out anyway . My best guess is that there may be an internal solid state fuse which has blown , but will need to investigate this further . In the meantime , I've made up a cable using a PAG PP90 dc coaxial connector to a standard 2.5mm dc coaxial connector , with the required polarity change from negative centre on the PAG plate output to positive centre on the Firestore input - this seems to be working well enough , although it would be neater if I can get the 4 pin Hirose output on the back of the camera working .

The plan , ultimately , is to use the two silver units as FS-4 recorders , recording SD with the DSR500 , and taking power from the camcorder ; and to use the black FS-4HD with my HVR V1e , but for this I need to sort out another power supply since the internal battery lasts only a few minutes and the camcorder batteries are 7.2V ; I also need to sort out some sort of mounting solution for using with this camera , but am quite handy at metal fabrication so will do this as a DIY job .

I suppose the point of this post is just to see if anyone has come across this issue before , and if so , how they solved it ?

Last edited by Derek Heeps; October 4th, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Powering the FS-4 recorders

not sure if this is of any help as i have not worked with that camera but have previously used the firestores.

i used a separate battery pack from tekkeon that supplied power to the firestore, those have since been discontinued but this should work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is selectable to an output of 12v and cables can be made or purchased to connect to the firestore. a mount can be made or velcro will work.

not as convenient as one power solution for the camera and recorders but might be easier.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks George , that looks like a good device .

My other option would just be to get a powerplate so I can use a PAG battery , or indeed use a battery belt , both of which I already have .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Just revisiting this thread , I've been using the Firestore recorders quite successfully for recording conferences - for which extended run time is very useful .

I made up a cable from the power tap on my PAG V mount to PAGLOK converter plate which sits on the back of my DSR500 - this supplies constant power to the dc in socket on the bottom of the Firestore and keeps it powered all day - either from an L95 battery which lasts for a couple of hours , or from my PAG mains power adaptor , which clips onto the plate instead of a battery .The PAG converter plate also mounts the holder bracket for the Firestore on its side . ( I'll take and post some pictures ) .

For use with my HVR V1e , I bought a 'Bebob Box' from the maker in Germany , this is a frame , with a sliding drawer for the Firestore , which mounts under the camera , and can sit between a tripod head and the camera . Onto the back of the 'box' , I mounted a PAGLOK plate and ran a dc lead from this to power the Firestore . If it is just powering the Firestore , a single L95 battery will run it all day . The HVR V1e can either be mains powered or from its own batteries , depending on location .

With an adequate power supply , I find the Firestores to be both reliable and easy to use .

When I first got the Firestores , the two silver ones had 40Gb internal drives and the black one an 80Gb drive . I managed to source a pair of 120Gb IDE drives , and one 250Gb drive ( 2.5" IDE drives are not so easy to come by these days , and certainly not in larger capacities ) . I started by upgrading the drive in one , and then testing it , before doing the others . The job was easy enough and I can now leave the black one recording for something in excess of 10 hours straight , which is ideal for a day long conference without missing anything . Afterwards I just pull the whole thing onto the timeline in FCP , then chop the recordings up into sessions and burn each session to individual DVD's for the clients .

I've also just bought , very cheaply , a 'new old stock' JVC GY-HD251 camera , which I've yet to receive , and will need to experiment using it with the Firestores ( which do show 720p among the recordable formats , but yet to be proven ) .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore