DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   RAW DV file format (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/58543-raw-dv-file-format.html)

Chris C. Corfield January 17th, 2006 10:17 PM

RAW DV file format

Hello

I captured some footage in the RAW DV setting on my firestore. Is it possible for Adobe Premiere Pro to recognize the Firestore as a DV device so I can Capture this footage? or is there another program out there that I can just start working with it right away? Which is the better setting to have my Firestore set to when recording?

Thanks
Chris

Ray Liffen January 18th, 2006 01:09 AM

Since there is some sort of bug in the FS-4 software that resets it back to RAW (the default setting) on occasions (and I've been caught by it) all I can say is that if you transfer the files to the hard disk using USB and place the files on the Premiere timeline then you can render them (Export timeline - Movie) to produce an AVI 2 file that you can use for editing. The RAW files will have the extension .DV

Ray Liffen

Wade Spencer January 18th, 2006 09:26 AM

Hmm...I recently tried to bring some .dv files into premiere pro 1.5 and it wouldn't recognize them.

From external drives connected to a Sony Anycast though....not a firestore.

I used Canopus Procoder express to convert them to .avi files.

Chris C. Corfield January 18th, 2006 08:34 PM

Thanks for your replies. How can you add a .dv file to the Premiere timeline when the program does not seem to see it. I go to import and it does not give me a choice as a .dv format to import.

Thanks
Chris

Chris C. Corfield January 18th, 2006 10:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. In Premiere in the import option it does not allow .dv files to be seen. How do you add them to the timeline when you cannot see them? Also what is the best format to record on on the firestore? That is for quality and editing.

Thanks
Chris

<edit> it didn't reload the post I added earlier on my end, sorry. It is just not my day today

Ray Liffen January 19th, 2006 01:50 AM

Chris

Are you using Premiere Pro (which a considerable number of design flaws and missing features)?

Maybe I should have mentioned that the .dv files are recognised by Premiere 6.5.

Ray

Dan Euritt January 20th, 2006 02:54 PM

i always record to the firestore in the raw format, because it's the only way that you can access the 4-channel audio... no other format will work, afaik.

once you have recorded the raw files onto the fs-4, you have to copy 'em over to the pc... on their website, focus sells the only software that will extract 4-channel audio out of the raw files... that format conversion software controls the copy process, extracting the audio at the same time.

raw files also are slightly smaller in size than any other format, and they can be played back directly off of the fs-4 with the quicktime player.