RAW DV file format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 17th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

RAW DV file format

Hello

I captured some footage in the RAW DV setting on my firestore. Is it possible for Adobe Premiere Pro to recognize the Firestore as a DV device so I can Capture this footage? or is there another program out there that I can just start working with it right away? Which is the better setting to have my Firestore set to when recording?

Thanks
Chris
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Since there is some sort of bug in the FS-4 software that resets it back to RAW (the default setting) on occasions (and I've been caught by it) all I can say is that if you transfer the files to the hard disk using USB and place the files on the Premiere timeline then you can render them (Export timeline - Movie) to produce an AVI 2 file that you can use for editing. The RAW files will have the extension .DV

Ray Liffen
Ray Liffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Hmm...I recently tried to bring some .dv files into premiere pro 1.5 and it wouldn't recognize them.

From external drives connected to a Sony Anycast though....not a firestore.

I used Canopus Procoder express to convert them to .avi files.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for your replies. How can you add a .dv file to the Premiere timeline when the program does not seem to see it. I go to import and it does not give me a choice as a .dv format to import.

Thanks
Chris
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. In Premiere in the import option it does not allow .dv files to be seen. How do you add them to the timeline when you cannot see them? Also what is the best format to record on on the firestore? That is for quality and editing.

Thanks
Chris

<edit> it didn't reload the post I added earlier on my end, sorry. It is just not my day today
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Chris

Are you using Premiere Pro (which a considerable number of design flaws and missing features)?

Maybe I should have mentioned that the .dv files are recognised by Premiere 6.5.

Ray
Ray Liffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Trustee

i always record to the firestore in the raw format, because it's the only way that you can access the 4-channel audio... no other format will work, afaik.

once you have recorded the raw files onto the fs-4, you have to copy 'em over to the pc... on their website, focus sells the only software that will extract 4-channel audio out of the raw files... that format conversion software controls the copy process, extracting the audio at the same time.

raw files also are slightly smaller in size than any other format, and they can be played back directly off of the fs-4 with the quicktime player.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore