Firestore and DVX100 ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Trustee

Firestore and DVX100 ???

Anyone get a Firestore and DVX100 to work perfectly? I can't seem to control the Firestore 100% from the DVX via firewire- no matter what combinations of DV control i setup- i can't get the Firestore to begin or stop recording when the "Rec" button is pressed- anyone get the pair to work- have the setup to share?

Also- what zoom is the DVX rated at 5X 6X ?

Any news on aftermarket lens accessories that would allow longer telephoto capabilties?
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Wont work-

Hello fellow DVX owners,

I've just been contacted by Focus Enhancements / Videonics and the $999 Firestore direct to disk recorder (FS-1) will not work 100% with the DVX because of Panasonic's non-standard DV control protocol. You cannot control the start or stopping of recording from the camera (although you can do it manually on the FS unit itself (sorta defeats the tapeless solution in my opinion).....so beware of units similar to the FS, like the "DV Bank" etc that promise "direct to disk" or "tapeless dv recording"- although I'd recommend calling the manufacturer to make certain it would work with the DVX. (if you find a DTD solution that works- let me know- and this board)

I'm out over $1300 because of this small problem as I had to buy the Firestore and bus-powered Firelite HD...so beware of Panasonic's non-standard DV control protocol.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 06:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps you could sell it and get some or most of your money back on Ebay?

Edit: Ah, nevermind - I see you've posted it in the classifieds.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Even if I couldn't use the DVX's record/stop buttons, would I still be able record using the firestore's buttons? Are there any other reasons to discourage DVX100 owners from buying the firestore? Thanks for the info!!
Randy Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #5

Randy,

You can always record DV from any cam with a DV (firewire) port in LOCAL mode on the FS-3.

With the DVX100, recording 30P or 60i is possible - I strongly suspect that 24P will be written in as a software upgrade for the FireStore in the future.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Don,

But does all of the above apply to the FS1K as well? I don't think I can muster a budget so big for the FS3. Heh he,... it's tough enough trying to buy filters, batteries, and building a new cpu, etc etc etc!!

I would really like to find a tapeless solution and it sounds like Firestore is a winner, but if it can't record 24p then the whole value drops big time. So my questions are:

1) I know you mentioned it in your previous response, but does anyone else know of any future 24p support from Focus?

2) Are there any other tapeless solution contenders out there with 24p support?

3) Are there any DVX-owners out there satisfied with this product? Is it worth investing into?

Randy Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #7
New Boot

Steve:

You might want to look at the nNovia QuickCapture. I just purchased a DVX100 and am also interested in using a direct-disk capturing system, so I contacted nNovia this morning to find out if their product is fully compatible with the Panasonic camcorder. They said that they've tested it with the DVX100, and it IS fully compatible.

Hope this helps...

Best wishes,
Len Feldman
Riverbend Entertainment
Len Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #8
Focus Enhancements

Hello,

There was a similar question recently from Canon XL1s owners. I have modified the same response...

The current way to use FireStore FS-3 with a Panasonic DVX100 is to have a tape in the camcorder and then set FireStore into Slave mode. On DVX100, ensure that DV Control Mode is set to OFF. (We have not run these tests with FS-1 yet, but will have the DVX100 back here again after Thanksgiving).

FireStore does not use the DV Control protocol that exists in DVX100 to control record/record stop from the camcorder. We use a slightly different method which enables FireStore to be controlled from any DV camcorder, not just those that feature a DV Control Mode. The end result is basically the same...pressing the Record trigger on your camcorder starts FireStore recording and a second press stops FireStore recording (as it pauses the tape transport as well). A new press of the Record trigger will start FireStore recording again - this time on a new file to disk. You end up with a tape you can archive and an identical disk copy with separate files created from every start/stop which you can begin editing with immediately.

Hope that answers some queries.

Best regards,

Matt McEwen
Focus Enhancements
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore