Fs-4 hd and Sony FX1 problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old May 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Trustee

Fs-4 hd and Sony FX1 problem.

I recently bought two fs-4's, upgraded to hd, from the classified section. last night I used them on a 2 cam shoot. One on my Canon XL2 , and the other on a new Sony FX1 , shooting in hdv (fs4 also set to hd).The one on the Canon worked fine all night, but the one on the FX1, stopped working after 35 minutes.
I powered down the fX1 to change tape between band sets, and figured I sould also shut down the fs4. When I powered everything up, I set up the fs 4 as it should be, and put it in "synchro-slave". But when I hit record on the FX1, the fs 4 wouldn't budge. I tried changing cables, shutting down, praying...nothing worked (thank god for good old tape).
Before I start trouble shooting the unit (on both cameras, in sd rather than hd, cables,etc.), I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem, or has any advice.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Trustee

what did the camera viewfinder say when you hit the record button?
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Trustee

Dan,
I don't think the cam viewfinder displyed anything different,and the camera kept recording for the rest of the night.I just couldn't get the fs4 to start again. When I troubleshoot it tommorrow, I'll try it in free record (as opposed to synchro slave) and see if that works. But there's still a problem aomewhere.
Bruce S. Yarock
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Small point, but is there a chance you powered up the camera before powering up the FS4?
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Trustee

Rob,
I think I powered up the fs 4 first, but I don't think it should matter. The problem was in the firewire port of theFX1, and after one week of use, the cam is now at Sony repair.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hope that solves your problem. The only reason I mentioned starting up the FS4 first, is that I had the problem of hit and miss recording until I finally started powering up the FS4 before the camera. Since I've done that, touch wood, I've never head a problem. Anyway, hope you've worked things out.
Rob
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Trustee

Rob,
by trial and error,I figured out that I had to power up my FS4 BEFORe powering my Canon XL2. I'll do the same with the FX1 when I get it back.
thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Focus Enhancements

Hi Bruce,

Sometimes, you may need to remove and reinsert the FireWire cable into FS-4. On some occasions, the camera does not hand shake with the camera. Also, is there a possibility that the camera FS-4 was switched to DV mode? IF the cam is in HD mode and FS in SD, it will not record.

Did you also contact Focus tech support support at focusinfo.com?

Hope that helps,

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Matt,
The problem wasn't in the FS4, but in the Sony FX1.the firewire port was not functioning, and I sent it off to Sony.
I've been using both of my fs4's with the Canon XL2 (always power up the FS4 first) in synchro slave mode with no trouble at all.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:42 AM   #10
Major Player

"Matt,
The problem wasn't in the FS4, but in the Sony FX1.the firewire port was not functioning, and I sent it off to Sony.
I've been using both of my fs4's with the Canon XL2 --> (always power up the FS4 first) <-- in synchro slave mode with no trouble at all.
Bruce Yarock"

From the FS4 manual:

"Step 3: Connect the other end of the FireWire cable to your video
camera.
Step 4: Turn on the video camera.
Step 5: Turn on the FS-4."

Question:

Wich one should be powered up first? The camera or the FS4?
Does it matter?

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:20 AM   #11
Trustee

Arnaldo,
I found (by trial and error) that with my Canon XL2, I have to power up the FS4 first. I do the same thing on my Sony FX1.

Matt,
Last night I did a wedding, and the FS4 failed on me once.I think it was when I powered down to change lenses. To get it to work again, I had to power down everything twice, the second time unpluging both ends of the firewire cable first.
Is there any special proceedure when powering down the XL2? Sould I also power down the FS4? Is the order important?
Also, is there a short cut to make "synchro slave" a default? I hate having to go through the whole menu each time I power up the FS4.
Other than an occasional misscommunication with thecamera, I'm pretty happy with the FS4.
Bruce S. Yarock
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:30 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Bruce.

I'm in the same boat. Very happy with the FS4 , except in those moments when the #$&# thing does'nt want to comunicate with the camera.

So, any procedure that can garantee us a trouble free power up, is more than welcome.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM   #13
Trustee

Arnaldo,
What camera are you using?
I think that firewire is a LAME technology. In addition to crashes, the plug can be touched and fall out without you realizing it. last night I lost 5 minutes on the FS4 that way!All I can say is "thank god for tape".
I have a mobile audio recording rig (Motu Traveller, lap top with Nuendo) that connects by firewire.If you don't power it up using a strict ritual, it won't work. 20 years from now they'll look back and think we were crazy...

Bruce Yarock
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:55 AM   #14
Major Player

Bruce.

Mine is a XL1-s. I'v devise a way for the firewire cable not to come lose from the camera, using cable ties.

Samsung is talking now of 1.8" flash drives with up to 32Gb, but I guess we still have to wait a couple of years before we can have cameras with solid state memory; no tape, onboard DTE, no transport mechanism to give you the sweats (and bills) and, above all, within a price point as the ones we have today.
Untill then, the FS4 (with all its shortcomings) its the best we'v got.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #15
Major Player

If the firewire is broken on your FX1 how much does that cost to repair?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore