Battery Pack Modification... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 19th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Battery Pack Modification...

I recently purchased a battery charger and two battery packs from BatterySpace.com ( http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2000 ), and they power the unit for much longer than I forsee needing, but it's nice to have that extra security when in the field. My problem, however, is this: The supplied DC plug that comes with the battery pack isn't an exact match for the plug in the base of the FS-4. It will make a connection, but it just isn't secure enough to be reliable in the field. Also, in order to connect the batteries to the charger base, some swapping out of the connectors is required.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I might find some DC plugs that I could splice onto the ends of the battery cables (male type connector plugs) and to the battery charger (female type connector plug), that would alleviate the need for changing the tips. The male type connectors should be identical to the ones found on the end of the power supply shipped with the FS-4, as I already know that these fit.

If anyone knows of a solution for this, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Brian Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You must of course be careful when doing a mod such as this. Precision equipment requires precision power.

With that said, you can pick up the dc power barrels at radioshack, they have a huge selection.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I should have mentioned this in my first post, but I did purchase some DC plugs from the local Radio Shack (size N, which was the closest specification they carried), and I even brought the FS4 power supply with me to gauge the plugs they had in stock, and none were a close enough match. It really amazed me that Radio Shack, of all places, couldn't help me. I also looked online for the manufacturer of the power supply that came with the FS4 (Globtek), but found no definitive way to purchase anything... Just a seemingly endless list of part numbers. I would like to avoid having to purchase two replacement power supplies just so I could cut the plugs off and splice them, but that may be what I'll have to do. :(

Thanks

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

what was your solution

Did you have find a solution to your power issue?
I'm thnking of doing the same thing and was wondering if you worked things out?
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Rolland,

No, I have not as of yet solved this issue. But then, I haven't been working on it much either... Some people have made suggestions about where to go for the parts, but so far I haven't resolved this. I get enough connectivity to get through a job just fine as it is, but it would be nice to have solid connections and a quicker, easier method of connecting to the charger.

If I discover anything that solves my issues, I'll post the info here.

Old October 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #6
New Boot

Power Cord

There is an easy way to solve your Problem.

Cut the original Power cord from your Supply in two pieces
Solder an XLR plug on one side and a Jack on the toher side.

Now you can use any Battery Belt you like and the Power Suppliy with the original plug on the firestore.
Stefan Raupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #7
New Boot

Don't cut the cord yet.....

I'm ahead of you and will post detailed on Monday with pics of my set up. I found a correct adapter at Radio Shack and I think it is size O. I'll look and post tomorrow...
Matthew Crawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #8
Major Player

I just purchased a Tekkeon MP3400 (best price I've seen is $119 at newegg.com) and I couldn't be happier with it. It only weights a pound. I used it with the FS-100 last week and it powered the FS-100 for 3 hours without even budging from full charge status. It is a "strong buy."

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #9
New Boot

Sorry about the weight

I went on and put all of my battery backup setup info here in a gallery:

http://www.matthewcrawley.com/firest...ent/index.html

I used a Adaptall tip "O" and the a Replacement Adapter tip - I have all the details in the gallery. The adapters cost about $11 to put together out side of the battery and and is good for run-n-gun.

matthew
Matthew Crawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #10
Stembridge

Hi Matthew,
what kind of battery is that you're using? I can't seem to find what you listed on batterydepot.com. Your photos seem to have a very small sized battery. Thanks for listing the detailed notes and photos, we've been looking for an affordable solution, that would extend life. We'll be in Kenya this summer, and hope to use the firestores while there.
Thanks!
David Stembridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Crawley View Post
I went on and put all of my battery backup setup info here in a gallery:

http://www.matthewcrawley.com/firest...ent/index.html

I used a Adaptall tip "O" and the a Replacement Adapter tip - I have all the details in the gallery. The adapters cost about $11 to put together out side of the battery and and is good for run-n-gun.

matthew
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Apparently Tip size O is 5.5mm OD and 2.8mm ID

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial...wer_Connectors

Maplin in the UK sell them.

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore