DR-HD100 - Do you have to use a tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 28th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Major Player

DR-HD100 - Do you have to use a tape?

I am thinking about buying this unit so that I don't have to use my hd100 as a deck. I am almost sold on it but to justify the 1700 dollars I need to know if it is required to have a tape in the hd100's deck to start recording to the firestore. I have researched this question and I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I know that I will use tape regardless for important shoots but I want to be able to go tapeless for my own creative shoots.

Help with this question would be much appreciated!
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
I am thinking about buying this unit so that I don't have to use my hd100 as a deck. I am almost sold on it but to justify the 1700 dollars I need to know if it is required to have a tape in the hd100's deck to start recording to the firestore. I have researched this question and I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I know that I will use tape regardless for important shoots but I want to be able to go tapeless for my own creative shoots.

Help with this question would be much appreciated!
I have a DR-HD100 and I use ABSOLUTELY NO TAPE! In fact I've had my HD100u camera for 3 months and I've never even opened the tape deck.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Sweet, I am going to buy one today. I had to ask because the description of the dr-hd100 said:

"When a tape is present, each press of start and stop on your GY-HD100's record button will create an individual clip on disk. "

Makes it sound like you can only use it when a tape is present! How stupid...
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
Sweet, I am going to buy one today. I had to ask because the description of the dr-hd100 said:

"When a tape is present, each press of start and stop on your GY-HD100's record button will create an individual clip on disk. "

Makes it sound like you can only use it when a tape is present! How stupid...
I have one as well and No Tape is needed to use the DR-HD100. I have never had a Drop-Out or Missing Clip, but if you are shooting something VERY important, you may want to be a tape in just to be on the safe side.

But really the HDD is just awesome. It makes the whole Direct-To-Edit advantage of P2 non-existant.

If you are a FCP user, the HDV .MOV Wrapper Update will be out in the next few weeks.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have one as well, but I always use tape so that I have a back-up.

What if you move your files to another Firewire drive, that drive crashes, and you've already deleted your files from your DR-HD100.

Maybe I'm anal!

Tom

Hi Steve,

Can you please post a thread when the update comes out?
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
I have one as well, but I always use tape so that I have a back-up.

What if you move your files to another Firewire drive, that drive crashes, and you've already deleted your files from your DR-HD100.

Maybe I'm anal!

Tom

Hi Steve,

Can you please post a thread when the update comes out?
I am following it VERY CLOSEY, so I will post one at the JVC Forum as well as here (But likely, Matt will beat me to it in this forum since you know, he works for Focus).
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve!

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore