FS-4 Pro HD--Any fix for HDV time code issue?? Matt? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
What NLE are you using? Make sure the FS-4 based product you buy has the version 1.1 software installed on it.
Matt
Hello Matt,

I sincerely hope you or someone here can tell me if this will defintely work with my Sony HC1 using HDV or not tonight 11-17-2006 because I plan on ordering one from VideoGuys tomorow 11-18-2006.

I am using Sony Vegas 7 Plus DVD.

Sorry about the mad rush and all but it has to do with my ability to get the needed funds.

Thanks much in advance,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
What NLE are you using? Make sure the FS-4 based product you buy has the version 1.1 software installed on it.
Matt
How would I know what version is installed on it? The ads don't say what version is installed on it.

I went to the VideoGuys page and added an FS-4 HD to the cart. Problem is, it said that it was an FS-4 with a free upgrade to HD. So are they just selling FS-4's with the upgrade instead of the new FS-4 HD? Would the FS-4 they are selling have the version 1.1 installed on it? Will the included HD upgrade make it version 1.1?

Sorry, but I am quite a bit confused about all this stuff and in great need for some answers.

I did get the funds I needed anyway, but I am trying to sort out who I should buy the FS-4 HD from. Would be nice if I could afford the extra for the 'pro' model but the FS-4 HD is pushing my budget limits as it is.

Will someone who has answers I need please respond?

Thanks Much in advance,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old November 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #48
Focus Enhancements

Hi Danny,

An FS-4 with the HD upgrade included will be the same as an FS-4 HD model. I cannot be sure exactly what Videoguys is selling, but in the end, you should be getting the same product. If your unit only has the version 1.0 firmware on it, you will need to update to the version 1.1 firmware (this is a free download from the Focus support site). Your unit may already have 1.1 loaded on it, so this step may be unnecessary. To check which version of firmware is on your unit, navigate to the SETUP menu. The version # will be listed.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Danny,

An FS-4 with the HD upgrade included will be the same as an FS-4 HD model. I cannot be sure exactly what Videoguys is selling, but in the end, you should be getting the same product. If your unit only has the version 1.0 firmware on it, you will need to update to the version 1.1 firmware (this is a free download from the Focus support site). Your unit may already have 1.1 loaded on it, so this step may be unnecessary. To check which version of firmware is on your unit, navigate to the SETUP menu. The version # will be listed.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Yes, this does help and thanks.

I bought one from B&H because I didn't know what VideoGuys were really selling. Looked like it was the older model with an upgrade included. I don't really know for sure but the ad says it is an FS-4 HD but the cart says it is an FS-4 with free upgrade to HD.

So apparently they are selling FS-4's with the free HD upgrade instead of the FS-4 HD unit itself. Does that really matter? I don't know. It's just that the switch in information from the ad to the cart bugged me.

When one is spending the maximum of their budget for something online they need consistent information. Inconsistent information will scare a customer away faster than anything. Also seems that the ones that are FS-4 HD would have been more recently manufactered and the other ones would be somewhat older. Earlier they had a differently worded ad that said while supplies last.

Looks like VideoGuys need to update their web page a bit. It just cost them a customer.

Finally, VideoGuys "30-day Money-Back Guarantee" does not apply to this item. From what I read in their terms, it is 10 days instead. Maybe they need to be more specific when it comes to this item?

B&H provided complete, accurate and consistent information. They also had a picture that could actually be enlarged, not one of those teeny-tiny pictures that I hate and that what too many sites have. I want to clearly see what the thing looks looks like before I buy it.

Thanks again,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Any update on this Matt?

Any update on the fix for m2t files and Canopus? I have a unit gathering a lot of dust.
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #51
New Boot

Firestore HDV m2t files on Edius 4

I saw this thread and hoped that someone could help me out - but . . . . looks like we are all still waiting for answers.

Just bought a Firestore fs-4 HDPro 100 because it does Direct to Edit HD recording with Canopus editing hardware. NO IT DOESN'T!

Canopus UK have tested the resultant Firestore HDV m2t files with Edius - they just do not work (well they do until the buffer runs down after only a few seconds). They have now been sent files to Japan for testing . . we await the results.

The chief UK distributor of Focus products copied Matt in on this problem and we all still await an answer from him?

Please someone tell me that that this unit will work for me soon . . . my Firestore is a very expensive mistake right now.

Here's hoping
Tony
Tony Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #52
Focus Enhancements

Hi Tony,

We are working with Canopus to resolve your issue. The strange thing is that we do have people using FS with Canopus, so we need to get to the bottom of why this is happening in your situation. Hopefully, Canopus will be able to assist us.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #53
New Boot

Thanks Matt

Just so you know - it's only HDV m2t files that won't run - at this moment we're just completing an SD video of a two day show backstage having recorded the entire event in DV. The FS & Canopus have performed admirably together.

Definitely the way forward for us - we just need to crack that HDV problem and there will be many relieved FS owners.

Cheers
Tony
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #54
Major Player

Agreed...

FS4's running DV have been a trusted resource for me. The .m2t's lock-up. Been trying since late '05.

The FS100 has been very good too.

Only problem I have seen is with the .m2t's - and I've tried the Sony Z1, Canon H1 (with firmware upgrade) and the HD100 (with firmware upgrade).

Looking forward to good news, so I can slap the FS4's on the back of some of these cams again.

Thanks.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #55
New Boot

Hi

For those of you following this thread I have this news from Canopus UK received 6th Feb 2007:

"The FS HD clip issue will be fixed in the next Edius version update - not v4.13 but the next... FS will be making some adjustments too."

This was as a result of Canopus & Focus talking to each other about some FS-4 originated m2t examples of footage that did not work on Edius systems.

Fingers crossed everyone . . . . . not a subject for this thread, but Canopus certainly have an awful lot of things to fix in their next version of Edius.

Tony
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Perkins View Post
"The FS HD clip issue will be fixed in the next Edius version update - not v4.13 but the next... FS will be making some adjustments too."

This was as a result of Canopus & Focus talking to each other about some FS-4 originated m2t examples of footage that did not work on Edius systems.

Fingers crossed everyone . . . . . not a subject for this thread, but Canopus certainly have an awful lot of things to fix in their next version of Edius.

Tony
Tony...any word on when this update might be out...my unit is getting buried in dust. :)
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #57
New Boot

Hi Scott - I wish! - the UK is pretty much as far away from Japan as possible so we can only wait and see how quickly a new version trickles through . . . I am just a frustrated user and like you I await news from Grass Valley/Thomson - anyone out there know anything about this we would all love to hear . . . . ?
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #58
Major Player

Maybe calling the Canopus/GV office in San Jose, CA would find an answer?

They confirmed on their official forum that the issue was being worked on.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Any News Matt?

Hey Matt...Any update on a possible fix for this issue?
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #60
Major Player

Canopus just announced a 4.24 update - but I didn't see anything specifically mentioned about the relationship with the Focus HDV files. I'm guessing there's still an issue.

I'd definitely like to know any status as well - and have it on my list to ask at NAB.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore