Firestore FS-C various topics - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #151
Major Player

Firestore FS-C to final cut? Which file type?

How should I capture HDV from a Canon XH-A1 onto the Firestore for dumping to a Final Cut Studio 2 machine? I remember trying QT once with my Mac and Premiere and it couldn`t be used. Anyone know which to use? QT or M2T?
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #152
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Use the Quicktime HDV setting.

Gary
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #153
Regular Crew

I just purchased a FS-C to use with my Canon XH-A1. I use Canopus Edius Broadcast as a NLE app. I find that when I import HDV m2t footage to the timeline the resultant playback studders miserably.
I have been told that m2t files will cause this effect and that it is better to use the Canopus HD. But since using the Canopus HD involves capturing from tape, it kind of negates the value and purpose of the FS-C.
My computer has 3 gigs of ram and is a quad core 2.4GHz. It would be pretty disappointing if this is the best FS-C and Edius can do!

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; August 11th, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #154
Regular Crew

Hum. The problem may have been a faulty Maxtor media drive. When I tried to defragment it it froze. I pulled it out of my machine and ....no more problems!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM   #155
Regular Crew

QuickTime HD preview on a PC

I am PC based. I am doing a shoot where the footage will be delivered and edited with Final Cut. I want to deliver the best possible files from my FS-C which should be the Quicktime HD option the Firestore has. Unfortunately I can't preview the HD Quicktime file on my PC. Is there a way or does Apple reserve that to a Mac?
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #156
Regular Crew

Replace HD with larger

This actually goes back a few posts but I was wondering if those who replaced their small HD's with a larger hard drive, is it possible to change from FAT32 to NSTC thereby avoiding the 2 gig (or is it 4 gig) limit?
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #157
Regular Crew

Changing drives in Firestore

On another thread there were posters that changed out the smaller drives in their Firestores to a larger drive. Has anyone tried this with the FS-C? Also apparently when drives are replaced they need to be re partitioned. Anybody try NTFS rather than Fat 32?
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #158
Regular Crew

FS-C & Canon A1 Sync...Tapeless

Interesting discovery is that when using the FS-C with an A1, the FS-C will record SD whether set to SYNC or TAPELESS. This comes in handy because I am switching between my Panasonic DVC 30 and the Canon (with no tape in it).

Edit the above
I could not repeat the sync/tapeless as mentioned above. Sorry may have led some astray. I find that I do need a tape in the Canon to have the FS-C record in SYNC mode. All of the "tally " lights on the camera and FS-C work properly. I need to set TAPELESS not SYNC on my A1 (with no tape in it) for everything to work flawlessly.

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; August 29th, 2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Miss information
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #159
Tourist

FS-4 HD with a SATA drive installed

I just received my FS-4 HD (60GB) and WD 120gb PATA drive with the intent of upgrading the hard drive. When I opened the FS-4 I found that the interface was no longer IDE, but instead SATA. But what's even more distressing is the fact that factory installed is an 80GB. Of course, the system boots to the 60GB recording times suggesting that the system may be limiting the space of the hard drive installed and this may be permanent, i.e. it doesn't matter if I install a 300gb SATA, it will be formatted to 60GB by the firmware.

Please tell me someone out there upgraded a newer FS-4 HD, with the SATA interface, and had success formatting the extra space...

Please...
Jaymes Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #160
Tourist

UPDATE:

My math sucks and I was wrong. My 60GB model is using all 80GB of the hard drive (365 mins in DV mode = 80GB). After the Focus Enhancements bankruptcy announcement, I wonder if they just aren't clearing out product - putting extra 80GB hard drives into 60GB models to liquidate instead of ordering more 60GB drives...

The sticker on the back plate also says "FS-4 Pro HD" though I do not have a Pro model.

Hmm..

Regardless, there is still hope that I can swap out a SATA drive and take advantage of the extra space. I'll post an update when I find out more.
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #161
Tourist

SATA upgrade a success.

UPDATE: I installed a 160gb WD SATA drive into my FS-4 HD (60gb), formatted the drive, and was left with 595 mins of recording time (~10 hours or 120gb worth of space). So it appears that installing larger hard drives into the new SATA FS-4s yields the same result (with 120GB max recording space) as with the older ATA interfaced models.

Note: Upon firing up the unit after installing the new hard drive the screen locked at the login splash screen with the statement "please wait." I hit the select button and it took me to the main screen but it still said "please wait." I menu'd over to the format screen and told the unit to format the drive. It did with no problems and now the device boots as normal.

Cheers.

keywords: mod, modification, upgrade, firestore, hard disk
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #162
Regular Crew

Jaymes
I not quite following you. You said that you formatted the 160 gig drive and then when the FS was booting up you had to format again? It sounds like you had to format it twice in the FS?
Also if you had installed a 120 gig drive does that mean that you would have got 120 gigs (I am assuming that 160 still will only give you 120)... is that right? You might as well installed a 120?
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #163
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Shaddock View Post
Jaymes
I not quite following you. You said that you formatted the 160 gig drive and then when the FS was booting up you had to format again? It sounds like you had to format it twice in the FS?
I can see how the second update confuses the timeline. No, it was not formatted twice. The unformatted drive was installed and I went through the onboard format routine outlined above. The update was meant to detail the formatting method the SATA enabled FS-4 HDs seem to require.
Quote:
Also if you had installed a 120 gig drive does that mean that you would have got 120 gigs (I am assuming that 160 still will only give you 120)... is that right? You might as well installed a 120?
Presumably. Yes, it seems I would have been better off installing a 120GB drive - but for the sale price of the 160GB WD Scorpio, it would have cost me a tad more for the 120GB model. I would suggest to anyone upgrading their FS-4 HD SATAs to install the most cost effective drive 120GB and above in capacity, but know that the max volume size is 120GB.
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #164
Regular Crew

OK thanks Jaymes

I hope when I try this it will work for the FS-C (Canon specific firestore)!
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #165
Regular Crew

Power brick for FS-C

The power brick for my unit has suddenly started producing a humming noise when it is plugged in - historically for me with electronics this has been the warning sign of an imminent failure. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips or successes? Any thoughts on obtaining a new power brick? I am assuming I can order one from Focus Tech, but wanted to check for options anyway. Thanks.
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore