Firestore FS-C various topics - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 30th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #31
Focus Enhancements

Hi Cody,

PM me offline and I will take care of this for you.

The website is being corrected.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
Hi Cody,

PM me offline and I will take care of this for you.

The website is being corrected.

Matt
I saw the change to the website. Excellent and speedy response to customer needs. Thanks Matt!
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM   #33
Tourist

FS-C, Retro Cache problem

I shoot a lot of sports highlights, so the retro cache on my FS-4 w/ a Canon XL-1s has been invaluable to streamline my workflow. I've used this setup since the FS-4 was released with now problems.

Yesterday I tried out my new FS-C w/ Canon XL-H1 shooting HDV in retro-cache mode with a 10 second cache. On several occasions, after having started recording, upon trying to stop the recording via camera controls the FS-C locks up. The indicator in the viewfinder temporarily switches to stop, then back to record. The display on the FS-C says "Please Wait" with a progress bar that continuously scrolls from empty to full. The FS-C doesn't respond to any key pushes, including holding down the select to reset the display. The only solution was to hold down stop to power off the device and the clip that had been recording disappears.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Here were my settings:

FSC v1.0.0
HDV .m2t format
Control mode: Tapeless
Record mode: retro cache = 10 sec

XL-H1 has DV control enabled.

I just upgraded the firmware to v2.0. I hoping this will solve this problem. I'll post feedback after using it tonight.
Ivan Heu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM   #34
Tourist

Problem still exists with firmware v2.0

I just confirmed that I can reproduce this problem after upgrading to v2.0. The only change in my settings posted above are the firmware version and the use of quicktime format instead of .m2t.
Ivan Heu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
Hello,

I have pre-ordered a Canon A1 and am very interested in a tapeless solution for it. I called Focus Enhancements and they said that the FS-C would be compatable.

My problem is, I can't seem to find a vendor for it. FE says they only shipped to Canon. I called Canon and they said they would not be carrying it. B&H doesn't carry it. A google returned no retailers.

Is this thing on the market yet? I have read a post about somebody already having theirs. Where can I buy it? Is it buggy?
Call Tapeworks Texas and speak to Scott, he's very friendly and helpful. They do carry the Focus FS-C.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I just ordered the Focus FS-C 60GB for my Canon XH-A1, bought it at Tapeworks Texas (ask for Scott).
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #37
Regular Crew

how much did it total?
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rodriguez
how much did it total?
The Focus FS-C 60GB cost me $1174.95
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:47 AM   #39
Regular Crew

XH-A1 and FS-C Truth

I am trying to get answers from someone that has done this.
1) Does the Firestore FS-C work without a hitch with the Canon XH-A1. Has anyone actually used it with the 2.0 firmware upgrade in the 1080/60i HDV mode and it be reliable.
2) Does the FS-C (or any firestore) record the 24f or 30f of the XH-A1. The booklet on the FS-C says it records avi 24p and Quicktime 24p ad it will record 1080/24 fps as a .mt2 file. Does this actually work?
I really need a tapeless solution and just would like to avoid the hassle of getting one and returning it if it doesn't work.
Thanks,
Ryan Flesher
XH-A1
FCP 5.1.2
Fig rig
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM   #40
Focus Enhancements

Hi Ryan,

We have beta software in test right now to support 1080i/24F, 25F and 30F modes with the XH-A1/G1 and XL-H1. We have not tested an A1 as yet, but have done extensive testing with the XL-H1. I understand Canon has tested the A1 with FS-C.

Hope that helps,
Matt
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM   #41
Major Player

My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the FS-C records m2t files that need to be converted for editing (in FCP).. so, whether it's 1080i or 24f, the files will need to be converted before editing... which in my opinion pretty much negates the time-frame advantage of tapeless acquisition...

I have not heard if doing this software conversion in any way sacrifices image quality, but I would assume that any time HDV is re-compressed you're going to lose something...

In my case, I bought an HV10 on sale at Circuit City and use it whenever I need to load 24f material (it also works as a nice little HDV helmet camera). Okay, it's not a "tapeless sollution" and probably shouldn't be mentioned in this forum. But it cost less than the Firestore, it works, and it has other uses...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM   #42
Focus Enhancements

Hi Steve,

The new 2.0 firmware for FS-C added QuickTime HDV record capabilities for 1080i50/60 when used with the XL-H1. HDV QT clips recorded with FS-C 2.0 allowed files to drop into the FCP timeline without conversion. The 2.1 upgrade (which is in beta now), will add the ability to record 1080i/24F/25F/30F as QuickTime HDV files which can be used instantly in FCP.

All models still have M2T capability for other NLEs.

Hope that clears it up.

Matt
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM   #43
Major Player

Matt, that's good to know... I will get one from ZGC then...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM   #44
Regular Crew

What's the difference bewteen FS-C & FS-4 HD?

After a lengthly conversation on the phone I ordered a 60GB unit but it appears I got the wrong item. I use a Canon A1 and apparently I should have a FS-C but I was sent a FS-4 HD.

Is there something wrong here?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM   #45
Focus Enhancements

Sounds like you need to check with your dealer. There is quite a difference between the FS-C and the FS-4HD. What does the screen say when you boot the unit up..."welcome to...".

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore