FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old September 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #121
Trustee

do not go with the quickstream... your problems should be simple to solve.

you should have probably recorded in the raw dv(.dv) format, because that is what quicktime is supposed to be compatible with... of course the fs-4 won't run without a battery, just plug it at the "computer i/o" port, and it will look just like another hard drive on your mac... copy all of the files over to your local hard drive for editing, it sounds like there were some issues with your firewire bus connection that could have contributed to the dropped frames(?)
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #122
New Boot

FS-4 and PD-170/JVC HD-100

I understand that the Firestore is not quite ready for HDV acquisition (and as I haven't purchased the camera yet, neither am I), but we are currently using a PD-170, and going tapeless would be a real timesaver for me. We plan on making the leap to the JVC around the first of the year. My question is - will the update to the FS-4 be a downloaded firmware update, or should I wait until the HDV capable unit is ready?
Robin Remde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #123
Contributor

The upgrade is supposed to be a software update. But it is way overdue, so it may be vaporware.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:41 PM   #124
Regular Crew

FS-4 in Manual Mode

I have been trying to get my FS-4 to record in manual mode from the firewire connect to a XL2 with a tape backup. What setup and settings are necessary before you press the record button twice. With everything I try, the counter doesn't move from all zeros. Thanks for any help. It works fine from sync with camera.
Jeff Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:14 AM   #125
Contributor

Jeff,

Make sure that the Firewire cable is in the DV I/O jack and not the Computer I/O.

And you are pushing the Record key on the FS-4 (not the camera) twice to start recording in LOCAL (manual) mode right?

Frankenstein meets XL1

Last edited by Daniel Kohl; October 3rd, 2005 at 05:50 AM.
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #126
Regular Crew

FS-4 in Manual Mode (2)

I finally figured out how to get my FS-4 to work correctly in both sync and manual modes. It really is a simple device and I think I was making it too complicated by not using the sync soft key to change from local control to sync control. I was trying to change all of the settings by going through the menus.

My question now is -- is there a way to keep the FS-4 running in manual mode while you change tapes in the XL2 for continuous coverage of an event like a wedding or musical event? When you stop an XL2 to change tapes while the FS-4 in manual mode, the FS-4 will also stop just like in sync mode.
Jeff Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #127
Major Player

Firestore FS4 questions

i am thinking of getting an FS4 to capture video. This will be mostly for now from an XL2 camera

How does the FS4 handle the four audio channels on the XL2 ? Do i need to do something special to get the four channels or will they just be there

Who is in charge of timecode ? Does the FS4 use the cameras timecode or generate its own ? If it generates its own does it have free run time code as the XL2 ?

Can the FS4 be controlled via firewire just like a camera or tape deck ? reason for asking this is that i would like to be able to simply dub directly from the FS4 to DVD using my decks. My DVD recorder deck has automated dubbing via firewire from any firewire deck and it will control the other deck via firewire commands.
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #128
Trustee

SEARCH mode is your friend, the 4-channel audio situation has been covered in detail out here.

the fs-4 is controllable by video cameras that are capable of dv device control, but i don't know about dvd burners... so far i have been unable to get a video signal from the fs-4 into my sony gv-d900 minidv deck via the firewire port :-/ the fs-4 will play all of it's clips back as one unbroken stream, so it would nice to use as a source deck for dubbing directly onto tape... or dvd, in your case.
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #129
Major Player

Dan

yes i did do some reading but havent seen any final answer on the audio subject. A lot of testing (actually i did download that test video off of your site as well) but i guess no real news from focus or did they give any definitive answer ?

i did find about the timecode. Looks like the XL2 timecode can only be used if there is tape in the camera (is this correct ?) and the timecode from the FS4 can only do free run if you get the PRO version.

can you dub from the FS4 to a tape in the camera ? if a camera can control the FS4 then my DVD deck should be able to as well as that is all it does. It works well with other cameras as well as with my MiniDV deck so i would dare to guess it would work with the FS4 too.

sometimes i just need to burn DVD's directly without any post so this would be much nicer. Use the same setup for going to VHS and if i dont have to go via PC it is simply a waste of time.

thanks for the info
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #130
Trustee

the fix to get 4-channel audio into a pc to edit with seems pretty clear to me, although i haven't tested it extensively... you'll need to shoot in raw dv mode, then use software to extract the second pair of audio tracks, and also change the file format while copying.

have you checked out the focus software that we were talking about? it has an option that claims to add premiere timecode when the clip is copied(?)... i have not messed with the timecode yet, but what i've read out here so far agrees with what you said.

focus has not weighed in wrt their file conversion software... afaik, it will not pull the second pair of audio tracks out of anything other than a raw dv file.

if you were wanting to dub 4-channel audio files from the fs-4 directly to a dvd burner via the firewire port, i'm not sure how that would work... fwiw, the fs-4 plays all 4 channels back into an xl1s that's set in vcr mode... but remember that it's a video camera with external dv device control, selectable via the menu of the camera, i have not tried to do that with the dv device control disabled.
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #131
Contributor

If you use the FS-4 in LOCAL (manual) MODE, it acts like an independent DV recorder. That means it will not be effected by tape changes on the camera - the FS-4 should keep recording as long as the camera is on. Just be careful not to shake the camera while making the tape change.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old October 8th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #132
Major Player

Dan

i am hoping for focus to do something better than this. It is supposed to be DTE so it would be nice if you wouldnt need to spend time capturing which is one of the reasons to have the firestore in the first place

as far as the dubbing to DVD that was a separate issue and of course in this case i will not need 4 channel audio.
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #133
Trustee

believe me, i understand where you are coming from :-/ it hasn't been easy figuring out how to make this 4-channel audio work, i think that i'm going to send focus a bill for providing tech support of their products, lol... of course i'd probably have to split the revenue with mark whittle, who started this whole thing up!

the fs-4 is fully dte capable... it's just another hard drive on your computer system.

the only hitch to that is if you wanted to use 4-channel audio, which as near as i can tell, requires you to either:
1) copy the files over to another hard drive using the focus file conversion software.
2) or dupe over to tape to re-capture to a hard drive.

wrt choice #2)... today i was able to use the fs-4 as a duplication source deck, playing back to the sony gv-d900 minidv deck via the firewire connector... i turned both units on with no firewire connection, then plugged the firewire cable into the dv i/o port of the fs-4... the sony deck saw it as dv in, so i was able to manually start and stop the videotape recording... no dv device control was used.
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #134
Major Player

FS 4 Pro help

I loaded the new firmware onto one of our 2 fa4's and it will not record manualy... Not sure why... Also I reset to factory settings still will not record manually..As to record sinc... that in the past didn't work well for us... good thing for tape. Anyway I have 2 units and as of now not happy with either one... So any help would be great... thanks
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #135
Contributor

Hi Craig,

What does the FS-4 do when you push the record key twice to record in LOCAL mode? Could it be a cable problem?

I'm assuming that you have tried everything "logical" so it is hard to give you any suggestions.

I saw the post about the firmware update so I was about to download it when I checked the firmware version on my FS-4 Pro and saw that my unit has already version 1.0.1. I haven't been having much trouble with this firmware version, so I don't think that your problem is due to the firmware version. However mine was factory installed (delivered about a month ago) so that doesn't rule out a problem with the download.

I hope that you find a solution.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore