How do I repair a damaged clip? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 8th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I repair a damaged clip?

I shot a music video two days ago at the never completed Intel Building in Austin, TX at the corner of 5th Street and Lavaca. This building will be destroyed within a month, and we were lucky enough to purchase a permit to film there for one night and one night only. The permit was not cheap.

I'm giving you that little bit of information because after importing my footage from my FS-100 harddrive, the last clip to be imported is apparentely damaged. It might not have been a big deal, but for some reason my harddrive didn't break my shots into separate files, so I have an eleven minute take (11 minutes), and I can't view it. I shot all my slow-motion stuff at the end, so if this clip isn't useable, I've got a big problem on my hands.

I've had problems with the harddrive from the start. It constantly stopped recording in the middle of takes, never reliable. I go to the Focuse Enhancements website to get the "needed" download that would apparentely fix all my problems, but now I'm having to deal with this.

I'd really like to know what steps I need to go through to get this clip fixed. Sorry if it sounds negative, but this is extremely frustrating and it's not the first time it's happened.

I've attached a picture of what the clip looks like. This is the beginning of the clip, after this it's just a grey screen.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I repair a damaged clip?-damagedclip.jpg  
Jeff Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Jeff,

I suggest that you contact tech support. They will be able to talk you through different ways of recovering the clip. One thing to try is to play back the final clip on FS-100 to the HVX200 viewfinder...are you able to view it? If so, are you able to dub the clip over to a P2 card and ingest that way? This may be the quickest and easiest way to at least recover the footage. Also, I assume you are using either a later version of Avid, Canopus or Final Cut Pro version 5.1.2. The reason the clip is longer than 2 minutes and 18 seconds is that these newer apps support P2 spanning clips. So, on the drive itself, the single 11 minute clip is made up of multiple 2GB (2 minute, 18 second clips).

Once you have recovered your clips, I would recommend you send the unit in as there is obviously something wrong and causing frequent lock-ups.

Support contact options can be found at http://www.focusinfo.com/support/contact.asp .

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Matt,

I'll try the P2 ingest as soon as possible and see if that works and then send my drive in.

I really appreciate the quick response.

Thanks again.
Jeff Ray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore