DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS 100 Transfer Rate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/82160-fs-100-transfer-rate.html)

Wayne A. Stanton December 20th, 2006 10:20 AM

FS 100 Transfer Rate

I am thinking about using a FS 100 in conjunction with the Panasonic HVX 200. I know that transfer rates from the FS100 to a hard drive will vary dependent upon hardrive and processor speeds. The scenario I am looking at using would be a FS100 to a MAC Pro Book 2.33 ghz processor to an External 7200 FireWire /USB Hardrive.
Any thoughts on this scenario and what should I expect (ballpark figure) for a transfer time of a fully loaded 100GB FS100?

Matt McEwen December 20th, 2006 12:32 PM

Hi Wayne,

If you are copying from the FS-100 to an external drive (via the MacBook), you should be looking at about 2 times real-time...but only if the FS-100 is connected to the MacBooks FireWire port and the drive is connected to the USB2 port. If both units are on the FireWire bus, transfer will be very slow.

Matt

Ken Boyer December 20th, 2006 08:30 PM

FW800 on MacBook Pro or new eSATA via ExpressCard/34

Matt,

Please correct me if I am wrong. I also have a new FS-C 100 for my XH-A1. My external drives are OWC 500 gig FW400/FW800/USB2. One is newer and also has eSATA.

I think I have good transfer speeds with the hard drive on the FW800 bus and USB2 dosen't seem to work as well. But, I am thinking about getting one of the new SATA ExpressCard/34 adapters so that the drive is on that bus. Then the only limitation will be the FS-C 100 over FW400 and this will max out the transfer speed.

I am also thinking about a eSATA PCI card for my desktop. This would be a less expensive alternative to Fibre Channel. And, the same RAID could be used on either computer...

Ken Boyer

My cameras and computers wait for me far more than I wait for them. Maybe I need an upgrade...

Wayne A. Stanton December 20th, 2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Boyer
Matt,

Please correct me if I am wrong. I also have a new FS-C 100 for my XH-A1. My external drives are OWC 500 gig FW400/FW800/USB2. One is newer and also has eSATA.

I think I have good transfer speeds with the hard drive on the FW800 bus and USB2 dosen't seem to work as well. But, I am thinking about getting one of the new SATA ExpressCard/34 adapters so that the drive is on that bus. Then the only limitation will be the FS-C 100 over FW400 and this will max out the transfer speed.

I am also thinking about a eSATA PCI card for my desktop. This would be a less expensive alternative to Fibre Channel. And, the same RAID could be used on either computer...

Ken Boyer

My cameras and computers wait for me far more than I wait for them. Maybe I need an upgrade...

Thank you for all the great input!... Ken you are reading my thoughts!

Matt McEwen December 21st, 2006 10:59 AM

Yes, thanks for the feedback Ken. I also have a MacBook Pro and have not noticed that the USB2 port is slow, but I also don't use it as extensively as most of our users. Your other suggestions are good ones.

Thanks,

Matt

Wayne A. Stanton December 22nd, 2006 02:13 PM

Everything I am reading is saying that eSata is much faster than Firewire or USB. Matt has Focus Enhancements done any research using these drives?

Matt McEwen December 27th, 2006 01:48 PM

We have not as yet done eSATA testing with FS products yet. I would be interested in hearing any results anyone has though.

Matt