Canon XH A1 and Firestore - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 4th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Is this a true statement?

The 2.1 upgrade for the FS-C (which is in beta now), will add the ability to record 1080i/24F/25F/30F as QuickTime HDV files which can be used instantly in FCP.

Looking for beta testers?
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I too feel as if I have been mislead. since this device was supposed to be an investment now its basically usless is that what I'm hearing Matt? I was told y you guys at FS which are REALLY COOL that it would work no problem and that I would be able to record 1080i 24f in native QT. Now I just got the drive about 3 weeks ago and havent even had time to use it...would I be able to return it or get the FS-C which I wasnt even aware of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #18
Major Player

The whole thing is nuts! What a way to make more money out of people.

I own Canon and Sony cameras. I take whichever one is the most suitable on the shoot. I want to move over to DTD recording, but now I find out I'll need to pay considerably more for a FS-C AND a FS-4Pro HD, and even then I'm probably not going to get Quicktime HDV compatability in 25p/f which is the mode I shoot in 99% of the time.

One word for Focus Enhancements - SIMPLIFY YOUR PRODUCT LINE!
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I agee 100%. There should be, at most, only 3 products: DV, HDV and DVCPRO HD and even these could probably be rolled into one unit. I think that sometime this year FE will see some serious competition which will hopefully bring prices way down. I think the prices are artificially high right now.
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Solidstate Drives.... Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiappini
I think the prices are artificially high right now.
After yesterday's announcement by of SanDisk's 32GB HD replacement, I'm going to wait on anything with moving parts.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070104-8555.html

The first integrator that makes this technology available in a universal and affordable package (think ONE model) will absolutely rule the market.

Free firmware upgrades for life!
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #21
Major Player

I am going to say that I have been VERY Happy with Focus Enhancements. I did my research, and got the DR-HD100 for my JVC. No problems. Lets not forget that the HD drives all work in .m2t. It is only for .MOV, that Focus gets more specific.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

steve thanks for the reminder..but for the price we payed for the firestore there should not be any needing to convert m2t to .mov . Its just unfortunate.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Matt, any update on the beta testing for version 2.1?
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #24
Trustee

Jay the confusion might be in that you see "Quicktime" as an option in DV mode- but not in HD mode- see if this is what is confusing you?

I have the same unit and it works with ANY flavor of HDV but produces M2T files that you'll need to transcode for NLE use (which sorta defeats the ease of DTE recorders in a big way)....as for me- I can't wait for the next generation of HD camcorders that will feature hard drives instead of tape!
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I think that's what's going on Steve. Sucks though, these units should record 1080i/24f in QT format by default imo.

I'm with you on the internal disks residing internally on the cameras. Can't wait to see that happen!

OH by the way, I found out through the company that they haven't even begun developing 2.1 that the whole beta testing thing was just talk internally. I'm sure someone will challenge this statement but it was emailed to me from a tech in response to my issues.
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #26
Major Player

I challenge it go beta yesterday

I just got the beta yesterday so they are testing it and of course I am too.
Matt is a very nice person who frequents this board.

Doug Tessler
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #27
Regular Crew

lol, amazing. I can't believe how fragmented the information from that company is.
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #28
Focus Enhancements

Hi Jay...who told you this..."OH by the way, I found out through the company that they haven't even begun developing 2.1 that the whole beta testing thing was just talk internally. I'm sure someone will challenge this statement but it was emailed to me from a tech in response to my issues."

Thanks,
Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #29
Focus Enhancements

...and by the way, Doug is correct, we do have 2.1 in beta test at the moment - has been for a few weeks. We will be looking for more beta testers shortly.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Matt-
the offer still stands . . . would be happy to be one of the testers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore