Canon XH A1 and Firestore - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #46
New Boot

Doug,

$20 says the code your 100GB model is running is different than what Focus and Canon are getting ready to release now.

Tom
Tom Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #47
Major Player

I was a beta tester so you lose again !

I have the latests software that I got from focus today so you are wrong again !
Doug

version 2.0.0.04092006:
- Native QuickTime HDV DTE format.
- HD TC display and restripe capabilities in Native QuickTime HDV DTE format
- MXF OPatom DV DTE format.
- Added ORGANIZE MXF for MXF OPatom support.
- Added HDV TC TYPE menu functionality for HDV TC playback.
- Improved DV FORMAT QUICKTIME 24P compatibility.
- Improved disk handling.
- Improved HD playback functionality.
- Handle 999 clip limit properly.
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #48
Major Player

any this

FS-C version 2.1 beta version 2.1.0 04112206

Thank you for participating in the FS-C version 2.1 beta test program. We appreciate your help!

Attached is the first 2.1 beta release version. Please upgrade your unit as per the instructions in the manual. If you need to return to the current shipping version of software, simply load version 2.0 (also attached). Per the beta agreement, do not distribute this software.

New Features
When in HDV record mode and QUICKTIME is the selected format, it is now possible to record 1080i/24F, 25F and 30F streams to disk in QuickTime format.

sincerely

Doug T

Send me a six pack you lose ! lol
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM   #49
New Boot

Doug,

Let’s get real here. Beta is called Beta for a reason. I means the software is in a phase where bugs are still being worked out and it hasn’t yet reached production status. The code may be complete and ready to go but I'm hearing from reliable sources that there is an "agreement" of some sort that Canon and Focus are still working out and that is the reason the FS-C 60GB model is not shipping right now which is a good thing as I'm not interested in a "patched" FS-C with Beta code. Understand, your Beta code may very well be the final product but I'd rather have it straight from Focus/Canon.

Tom
Tom Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM   #50
Major Player

Canon XLH1 24f user here with question.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about which firestore model does what. And, apparently, the manufacturers themselves are not too reliable about their own specs.

Can some kind and knowledgeable soul inform me what my options are for use with my Canon XLH1?

I also did hear at one stage that these units are kinda noisy - perhaps too noisy for use at close quarters for quiet dialog in filmed drama. Could anyone be so kind as to give me an opinion on this?

Many thanks,

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Is the FS-C even available right now? Where is it in stock!?!?
James Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #52
Regular Crew

i couldn't find it anywhere about a month ago
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen View Post
QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F support will only be available on the FS-C model.
Matt
What about PAL version? 25F on the FS-C model? Or even better, the model that can receive 24F, 25F & 30F.
Farishad Latjuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #54
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=434414

My question is why can`t they do timelapse in HDV? Seems pretty bad to mix DV timelapsed footage with HDV footage if they are for the same project
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #55
Sponsor: divergent media

Because the HDV video structure, with 15 frames grouped together and inherently interrelated, makes it very hard (computationally) to get a single frame. The Firestore is a "dumb" device - it doesn't do any actual decoding (and reencoding) of the video stream, which would be required to do a time lapse with HDV. They just write data to disk.

So yeah, it's easy in DV where you can extract any frame individually, not so easy in HDV.
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=434414

My question is why can`t they do timelapse in HDV? Seems pretty bad to mix DV timelapsed footage with HDV footage if they are for the same project
Because HDV is an interframe compression codec. Frames are grouped into GOPs (12 frames) which all refer to each other to build a complete moving image. Thus HDV cannot be used for timelapse recording, because you have to record the GOP all at once.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM   #57
Major Player

From my experience with the XLH1 and FS4ProHD and Edius is that it works great in DV --- but in HDV it is problematic.

The FSC firestore is the model now made specifically for the XLH1 (and presumably the A1 and G1). But I have no experience with the FS-C. I am trying to find someone who has experienced reliable HDV results in all frame rates and in both m2t and QT file formats.

Bottom line, if you are going to make the leap with a Firestore for the Canon, stick with the FS-C.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Bottom line, if you are going to make the leap with a Firestore for the Canon, stick with the FS-C.
What's the advantage of the FS-C over the FS-4 Pro HD model? The only thing I understand is the Quicktime issue with the FS-4. I have the A1 and am using Vegas 7. Do I need the Quicktime format for anything? I see a price difference in the two models and don't want to spend the extra dollars for something I don't need. Vegas can work with QT files. Would there be any advantage to recording in 1080i QT over .m2t files? I've read of an issue with transferring the .m2t files to PC. Is there a similar issue with 1080i QT files or would that be reason enough to get the FS-C if it solves that issue?
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #59
Major Player

If you ever shoot for editors using Final Cut Pro (a huge group), then supplying files/footage shot in the QTfile format wrapper is an important consideration.

If you are always shooting for yourself, then it may not be an issue for you.

We've never had an FS-C ourselves, only the FS4ProHD. And sad to say they have sat pretty much unused except for occasional standard def DV usage - and even then we chose not to bother much with it unfortunately.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #60
Regular Crew

John,

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore