Canon XH A1 and Firestore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old December 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XH A1 and Firestore

Having difficulty synching the Firestore and the A1 and hoping someone can help.

I purchased the A1 and the FS 4ProHD and had no problem having the Firestore record m2T files, but have not been able to get it to record a 24F stream in Quicktime, even though the update has already been installed and Quicktime appears in the menu.

Spoke with Focus Enhancements (very nice people) and they had me try a few things none of which worked. At their suggestion, I returned the unit and got another one from a different dealer but the same thing happened.

Does anyone have any suggestions??
Larry Kamerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I bought the Focus FS-C for my Canon XH-A1, but my Focus FS-C haven't arrive yet from Tapeworks Texas. Why didn't you try the Focus FS-C? It's made for the Canon.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The people I spoke with at Focus told me that the FS4ProHD will work with the Canon - it's essentially the same- but the ProHD has certain options the others don't. And, it did work with the A1. I had no problem when it was set on m2t. Only has a problem when trying to capture in Quicktime mode
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The word from FE is that the current 2.0 firmware on the FS-C and FS-4ProHD will record only 1080/60i. They are beta testing 2.1 right now that will record 24f and 30f but no dice yet. I called FE and posted here and got the same answer each time, that's why I am holding out until the 2.1 upgrade is available.
Ryan
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Focus Enhancements

QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F support will only be available on the FS-C model.
Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F support will only be available on the FS-C model.
Matt
Matt, any idea when the update will be released?
Thanx.
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Focus Enhancements

I do not have an accurate date right now, but engineering is working on it. If you are interested in beta testing, please let me know.
Matt
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Definitely interested in beta testing. Can go downtown today and get the FS-C.
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I would love to Beta Test. I will buy a FS-C this weekend if I can beta test. If not I will wait for the upgrade.
Let me know Matt.
Ryan
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #10
Sponsor: divergent media

Quote:
Matt

Matt - is this really true? That would be very disappointing. I've got three FS4ProHDs that I'm using with Canon XL-H1s, because the FS-C wasn't available at the time I bought the cameras. When the FS-C was showing at the booth at NAB last year, I was told that the only difference was the harddisk size and mounting bracket, and that I wouldn't suffer for not having it.

That'd be a serious bummer.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Matt

Wait a minute, now I feel totally mislead.

I was told 2 weeks ago that the FS-4 HD was perfectly suitable for the Canon A1, supports QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F and is ahipped with the update on it.

What gives here?

Now (as of last week) I have the FS-4 HD, it doesn't record QT but shows the option and I'm being told from other Canon owners that I have the wrong unit.

Matt, what could be done about this?

Please help.

Jay
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM   #12
Focus Enhancements

Quote:
I was told 2 weeks ago that the FS-4 HD was perfectly suitable for the Canon A1, supports QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F and is ahipped with the update on it.
Where were you told this? FS-4 HD does not have QuickTime HDV support. 1080i/24F and 30F support is only on FS-C. However, FS-4 HD, FS-4Pro HD, FS-C etc all support 1080i/24F, 30F in the M2T file format. Maybe this is where the confusion stems from.

Matt
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Where were you told this? FS-4 HD does not have QuickTime HDV support. 1080i/24F and 30F support is only on FS-C. However, FS-4 HD, FS-4Pro HD, FS-C etc all support 1080i/24F, 30F in the M2T file format. Maybe this is where the confusion stems from.
I responded to some of this in the other thread.

BUT

My FS-4Pro HD has options for m2t and QuickTime. Why would the QT option be there if it doesn't record in QT. Will it record SD in QT format but not HDV? Is that why it's there?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM   #14
Sponsor: divergent media

The FS4ProHD with the 2.0 update will record 1080i60 HDV into quicktime MOV files. It will not record 1080f24 into quicktime files, but will record it into m2t files.

It sounds like there is a software update down the line for the FS-C which will allow it to record 1080f24 into Quicktime files, but it's not available yet. It also sounds like that update will not apply to FS4ProHD users.

So, as I gather at this point, for HDV, if you've got a JVC camera you buy a DR-HD100, if you've got a Canon camera you buy an FS-C, and if you've got a Sony camera you buy an FS4ProHD (or a Sony DR60 I guess).

I think the "DTE Compatible Cameras" page on the Focus site should be updated to make it clear that XL-H1 owners shouldn't buy an FS4ProHD, as right now it has checkboxes for FS4ProHd and FS-C. Obviously us XL-H1 owners are going to be missing out on future updates with the FS4ProHD.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I agree, the site is misleading and inaccurate but the wow factor for me is how the techs at the company as well as sales people at video guys don't even know the difference. I don't blame them, it just sounds like Focus Enhancement doesn't have their information straight and drilled down the line through all departments and retailers.

It's ashame because we're the ones who suffer from it.

My FS is being sent back tomorrow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore